What size coil for stubble?

Pete E

Just found out a dig I am going on is maize stubble and was wondering the best size coil to use?

I have a 6", 11" or 15"...the 6" and 11" have strengthened lugs if that makes a difference..

I am asking as I have done very little on stubble and it's not really may favourite to detect over..

Regards

Peter
Blackadder43

I always use my tiddler coil for new stubble :thumbsup:
Pros:
gets you in amongst the stubble and lines easily, even if you have to walk like a crab :lol:
Also is better if site is trashy as it has a smaller footprint, so doesnt drag outside bad targets in so much

cons:
doesnt cover much ground and isnt strong enough to push through new stubble

Oh and on a nox you look like a numpty holding a stick with a button on the end ! :lol:
I am not known for my ID skills, but i make a cracking brew :thumbsup:
Dave The Slave

Having detected Maize stubble for 5 months, 2 seasons ago would opt for the 6" coil.
Used an 8.5 x 11, literally 2 sweeps then jump into the next row, repeat, repeat, repeat.
Worst stuff i have detected on, destroyed 2 sets of coil bolts.
Did get a good technique going but the coverage, was no where near what i would normally achieve.
Good Luck, :thumbsup:
Dave.
mattjb

Dave The Slave wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:59 pm
Having detected Maize stubble for 5 months, 2 seasons ago would opt for the 6" coil.
Used an 8.5 x 11, literally 2 sweeps then jump into the next row, repeat, repeat, repeat.
Worst stuff i have detected on, destroyed 2 sets of coil bolts.
Did get a good technique going but the coverage, was no where near what i would normally achieve.
Good Luck, :thumbsup:
Dave.
I had a try on rape stubble the other day, not for long though, that stuff is evil! Like trying to detect through a mini forest of tree trunks
TerraBritannia

I spent about 15 minutes on Maze stubble, it's not something I'd rush to try again.
TerraBritannia [previously known as TerraEnglandia] but Andy is my real name.
https://www.youtube.com/TerraBritannia
Minelab Equinox 800
Saffron

With maize stubble my strong advice would be to find somebody that works on the farm and slip them £20 to go over it with a heavy roller.

Unless well rotted, which it will not be until the spring, its a nightmare.

But the 6" coil would be the best option IMHO.

Evan
Pete E

Thanks for the input gents..I had a feeling the general consensus would be "not good"...however this is likely the only chance I will get to detect this bit of ground as it's not my permission, so it's a case of making the best of it and using the 6" coil I think...
Easylife

I would take all three coils and decide on the day depending on stubble spacing and how tough it is. I used the 15" coil on a stubble field, the extra momentum helped to flatten it so could see where I had been. The coil lugs handled it without any issue.
TerraBritannia

Easylife wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:59 am
I would take all three coils and decide on the day depending on stubble spacing and how tough it is. I used the 15" coil on a stubble field, the extra momentum helped to flatten it so could see where I had been. The coil lugs handled it without any issue.
I was just wondering how the 15" coil would cope on the stubble. The field adjoining the grass field that I've been in recently has just been harvested and I'm tempted to give it a go.

Good luck Pete. :thumbsup:
TerraBritannia [previously known as TerraEnglandia] but Andy is my real name.
https://www.youtube.com/TerraBritannia
Minelab Equinox 800