Need ideas for spade handle...

Pete E

Like most of us, at times I stick my spade in the ground and use it to lean my detector on...And again like most of us, I have had the detector slide off the handle, and clatter to the ground..

So does anybody have any ideas to prevent this happening? I did think of putting grip tape around the handle, but I don't think it would be comfortable to hold and dig with???

With winter and the bad weather around the corner, keeping the detector off the ground becomes a bit more of a requirement, so I would greatly appreciate any ideas or suggestions that work for others....
shaggybfc

Tape 2 bits of foam to the handle to stop it falling off.
Always carefully proof-read what you've typed to see if you've any words out.
Deus with 11" X35 and 9" HF coils. MI 6 pinpointer.
Easylife

Maybe make a bit of a groove in the spade handle for the detector shaft to rest in?
Good things come to those who wait.
Easylife

Perhaps a loop of velcro tape?
Good things come to those who wait.
Oxgirl

If you angle the spade backwards slightly when you put it in the ground the detector doesn’t slide off. Well not in my experience :thumbsup:
chill…karma will fix it

Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
JohnDeus

Oxgirl wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:59 pm
If you angle the spade backwards slightly when you put it in the ground the detector doesn’t slide off. Well not in my experience :thumbsup:
That is the same as i do :thumbsup: but beware if it is very windy :lol:
Pete E

Thanks for the ideas folks...I will have a play about with some foam and also try angling the spade as suggested...Edited to add, this is my 1000th post.....I am sure I read somewhere I get a prize of some sort??? :P :P
Oxgirl

Pete E wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:04 pm
Edited to add, this is my 1000th post.....I am sure I read somewhere I get a prize of some sort??? :P :P
Congratulations on your 1000th post :Party: And thank you for all your input.

You are right, you do indeed get a prize. Obviously you get the gold star :Star: cause that’s the top prize. As a bonus you’ll also get sent some jelly beans from Blackadder’s vault. They may take a while to arrive (lead time is still not confirmed) but I believe my promised stash from 2017 is due in January now :D. They are fully tested by Blackadder so may be a bit sticky but that’s nothing to worry about ;)

EDIT: just realised he hasn’t said which January :Thinking:
chill…karma will fix it

Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
Pete E

Oxgirl wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:46 pm
Congratulations on your 1000th post :Party: And thank you for all your input.

You are right, you do indeed get a prize. Obviously you get the gold star :Star: cause that’s the top prize. As a bonus you’ll also get sent some jelly beans from Blackadder’s vault. They may take a while to arrive (lead time is still not confirmed) but I believe my promised stash from 2017 is due in January now :D. They are fully tested by Blackadder so may be a bit sticky but that’s nothing to worry about ;)

EDIT: just realised he hasn’t said which January :Thinking:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Pete E

Just a quick follow up on this...I ended up wrapping some self-amalgamating rubber tape around the shaft of the detector for a couple of inches just below the arm cup. This tape has a soft non slip texture that while not the complete answer, is a huge improvement....