Finding scheduled monuments - map

Oxgirl

Easier way to find scheduled monuments in your area if you find Magic Maps overly complicated.

https://ancientmonuments.uk/map#.YDBnsS3fWhB
Sometimes I question my sanity but the unicorn and the gummy bear told me I’m fine
Easylife

That's handy as a quick basic guide. :thumbsup:
Last edited by Easylife on Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave The Slave

Just tried that out for near to where i detect, Cath.
A useful tool for other locations.
Thanks, :thumbsup:
Dave.
TerraEnglandia

How good is that! So much less faff than using Magic Maps. Thanks very much Cath. :thumbsup:
TerraEnglandia

TerraEnglandia wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:47 pm
How good is that! So much less faff than using Magic Maps. Thanks very much Cath. :thumbsup:
Edit: I picked up a 60 acre permission earlier this week, one of the fields is 150 metres from a Monument. It's actually in the next door field. That should be far enough away shouldn't it?
Easylife

TerraEnglandia wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:16 pm
TerraEnglandia wrote:
Edit: I picked up a 60 acre permission earlier this week, one of the fields is 150 metres from a Monument. It's actually in the next door field. That should be far enough away shouldn't it?
Magic map will show the actual boundary. :thumbsup:
Oxgirl

Easylife wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:06 pm
TerraEnglandia wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:16 pm
TerraEnglandia wrote:
Magic map will show the actual boundary. :thumbsup:
Agree you need to go to Magic Maps and then you are advised to stay 50m from the boundary :thumbsup:
Sometimes I question my sanity but the unicorn and the gummy bear told me I’m fine
TerraEnglandia

On this particular field, there's a grass area (gallop) and the edge of it is 30 metres from the scheduled field. To the right of the edge, the field is worked. I've just been searching to try and find a definitive no go boundry distance, but I haven't found anything official so far. 50 metres has been mentioned here, I've also seen 20 metres distance mentioned elsewhere. Which is likely to be correct?

50 metres extends well into the field on this new permission. :Thinking:

distance.jpg
Easylife

TerraEnglandia wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:36 pm
On this particular field, there's a grass area (gallop) and the edge of it is 30 metres from the scheduled field. To the right of the edge, the field is worked. I've just been searching to try and find a definitive no go boundry distance, but I haven't found anything official so far. 50 metres has been mentioned here, I've also seen 20 metres distance mentioned elsewhere. Which is likely to be correct?
The only no go area is the actual monument itself. As they are not marked out just use your own judgement how close you search to it to be sure that you are not on it. :thumbsup:
Oxgirl

TerraEnglandia wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:36 pm

50 metres extends well into the field on this new permission. :Thinking:

distance.jpg
50 metres is what English Heritage advice. Where the boundary is clear then it is rather excessive :D lets be honest the scheduled area is usually pretty conservative anyway :thumbsup:
TerraEnglandia

The entire field that has the monument in is showing as being scheduled, it's quite a small field. There's the usual hedgeline on the border of it and then a single track drive leading to the farm on my permission. To the right of the track, there's a grass gallop (which I won't be detecting on), then the large worked field as mentioned. I think I should be fine. :thumbsup:
Easylife

TerraEnglandia wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:24 pm
The entire field that has the monument in is showing as being scheduled, it's quite a small field. There's the usual hedgeline on the border of it and then a single track drive leading to the farm on my permission. To the right of the track, there's a grass gallop (which I won't be detecting on), then the large worked field as mentioned. I think I should be fine. :thumbsup:
Just go for it as long as you know that you are not on the monument. Any surrounding distance is just advisory in case you are not sure of the actual boundary. Don't over think it. :thumbsup: