Crop marks

mattjb

CBB7148D-061B-4E27-8682-9C5C23569838.jpeg
Was looking at a satellite view of one of my permissions and noticed some darker lines running from left to right on this field and to a lesser extent the field out of shot on the left.They aren’t visible on any other fields apart from those two on this permission. The field slopes down fairly steeply from top to bottom of the picture.
To give some background I’ve found medieval on some of the fields on the flatter ground on top of the slope and there was obviously medieval habitation on at least one.Not much older stuff except very few Roman grots and a couple of fibula fragments.
I’d be interested to hear opinions of what the marks could be.
Thanks in advance, Matt
Blackadder43

They dont seem to make sense as they all look pretty random
But i suppose it depends on the amount of slope you have there
Is it natuarally higher ground you have there?...or just a slope in the field
I am not known for my ID skills, but i make a cracking brew :thumbsup:
mattjb

Blackadder43 wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:22 pm
They dont seem to make sense as they all look pretty random
But i suppose it depends on the amount of slope you have there
Is it natuarally higher ground you have there?...or just a slope in the field
Basically at the top of that field it flattens off , to form a long flat ridge with a slope down again the other side so flat top ridge runs from left to right above this pic for a fair distance. I agree the marks look randomly spaced ,they seem to be closer together further down the slope.
Easylife

Take a look on Google Earth timeline, also on Lidar for more clues. :Thinking:
mattjb

Easylife wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:12 pm
Unfortunately not covered by lidar so haven’t got that option.It’s a field I had a go on a couple of times many years ago but can’t remember finding anything interesting.Maybe I’ll give it a good go when it becomes available and see if anything turns up.
Oxgirl

mattjb wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:45 pm
Easylife wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:12 pm
Unfortunately not covered by lidar so haven’t got that option.It’s a field I had a go on a couple of times many years ago but can’t remember finding anything interesting.Maybe I’ll give it a good go when it becomes available and see if anything turns up.
I have a couple of fields that like this on satellite and they are both very good detecting fields! Lidar hasn’t helped with working stuff out but the on the field clues have meant I’ve found where there were houses. That looks like a very promising field!
chill…karma will fix it

Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
TerraBritannia

It looks like it could be the remains of Ridge and Furrow, some of it possibly ploughed out though. :Thinking:
TerraBritannia [previously known as TerraEnglandia] but Andy is my real name.
https://www.youtube.com/TerraBritannia
Minelab Equinox 800
mattjb

Thanks for the replies.looks like it will be worth a go when I get the chance,trouble is there will be several other fields with potential that I’d like to try first, all depends on the order they are available I guess.
Saffron

Looks like something, but I am not sure what. As all the lines are roughly left to right, rather than top to bottom, I do not think its habitation and am inclinde to go with TB and say its ploughed out ridge and furrow. Have you looked at the historic imagery on GoogleEarth?, as other years might show it more clearly.

Evan
TheFenTiger

Have you looked at old maps?

https://www.oldmapsonline.org/

Another string to the bow
Ladybird66

This is something I used to love spending hours doing and surprisingly had some success, though very often my idea of dates was a few hundred years out :lol:
I can see modern plough marks over all the field running from Top to bottom but hidden in those I see a thin darker line running to (or from) a round pale mark.
Given your description of the height I’d say the pale round mark ‘might’ have been a round house or a burial mound with a foot path running away to the left.
I also see, very faint, some other, more rectangular pale marks on where you say the ground is flat (top of field) by the road. Once again ‘might’ be more modern remains, maybe a couple of cottages.
Best of luck with it, hope you find something. At least you have a target to aim at. It looks like a big area to cover. Don’t forget that items (if any) tend to move down-hill over time.

Add; the faint darker lines more to the bottom, left to right, look like old plough, ridge & furrow ?
mattjb

Thanks again for everyone’s input. A bit more searching reveals that the upper section of the field has strip lynchets according to HER records so maybe that has some significance.
Another field is supposed to have medieval strip fields and looking on google earth there are these dark crop marks running left to right which I guess could be ploughed out ridge and furrow as some have suggested for the first field.This field is much flatter than the first one
Attachments
7BE67BC2-9541-4DBF-BDA5-FE5BAD6166F2.jpeg
Saffron

Ladybird66 wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:03 am
<cut>
I see a thin darker line running to (or from) a round pale mark. (my bold and underline)
Given your description of the height I’d say the pale round mark ‘might’ have been a round house or a burial mound with a foot path running away to the left.
<cut>
A general comment NOT specific to these photos.
Always be careful when looking at satellite imagery if you see "round pale marks" (or dark depending on the ground contions).
These are often caused by modern circular cattle feeders. The hay is put in the feeder so that the cattle can get at it but do not waste it through trampling on it like they would if it was put on the ground. But due to the cattle constantly going to the feeder the ground gets churned up and turned into mud. The effects of this can be seen for several years after the feeders have been moved.

This has caught a lot of detectorists out in the past when they have thought the marks were from round houses. (FYI: Not me!).

Evan
mattjb

Saffron wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:13 pm
Ladybird66 wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:03 am
<cut>
I see a thin darker line running to (or from) a round pale mark. (my bold and underline)
<cut>
A general comment NOT specific to these photos.
Always be careful when looking at satellite imagery if you see "round pale marks" (or dark depending on the ground contions).
These are often caused by modern circular cattle feeders. The hay is put in the feeder so that the cattle can get at it but do not waste it through trampling on it like they would if it was put on the ground. But due to the cattle constantly going to the feeder the ground gets churned up and turned into mud. The effects of this can be seen for several years after the feeders have been moved.

This has caught a lot of detectorists out in the past when they have thought the marks were from round houses. (FYI: Not me!).

Evan
Interesting stuff! Something to take into account when looking at these types of images