One day only and never again. 😱 what should I do??!!

Marley

Funny that, I’ve a site with a protected roman settlement Fenced off within it, I’ve never even found a boot nail !

The grass area at the bottom
Attachments
EEA74FF8-013B-4293-890F-FC2966F390C4.jpeg
Emily

Steve_JT wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:37 am
When you get in the field, follow gut instinct and do what you normally do
Don’t over think it, if it’s there you’ll find it, fill your boots :thumbsup:

Shame it’s only once but who knows, you may get another crack at it if you can talk them into more

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Regards Steve
Thank you. Great advice!! ☺️
Live long and prospect
Emily

Oxgirl wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:38 am
The only thing to do is to relax, choose an area and go low and slow. Running around it won’t work so just accept you’ll only do one bit. Give it an hour and if it’s not very productive move to one other. Or just wander around, but do it slowly. Concentrate on your swing technique, not the rest of the field.

Good luck :thumbsup:
Thanks Cath. ☺️ I’ll try to emulate your swinging form. 😂
Live long and prospect
Emily

Blackadder43 wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:48 am
Look at it this way:

You may only be offered one days detecting to give them a chance to see how you react
They will be aware of the history there and dont want any old person mooching around and digging their land up

So act with maturity and decorum
Accept the one day with enthusiasm and dont stamp your feet or scuff your toes as you walk away

Make an effort on this one days detecting, to make the day all about finding out as much as you can for the land owners benefit

I would set a recorder up on your phone and for each find just say a few words about the find.....then when the day is done you will have a verbal record of stuff you noticed etc that makes writing a report all the much easier

Write a report up about the day, get ID's on everything you find, even any rusty ole rubbish you may dig up
Make an appointment to hand all your finds and written stuff, photos etc to the land owners

If you are only being offered 1 day, then all you have is 1 day to make an impression on these land owners

Good luck and dont stress over it.....walk around and see whats there, dont take it as "just 1 day"......look at it as "if i show willing here i could swing this around to be my permission"

Good luck
That’s such great advice Blackadder. Thank you very much. They’re lovely people, who know the history of the land, so a write up of that probably wouldn’t interest them, but I’ll certainly discuss what I find (if anything) with them. 🥰
Live long and prospect
Emily

Saki wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 12:29 pm
I would certainly agree with the above comments.
And can only add that right now is an opportunity to scan maps, lidar etc to possibly help you decide which part of the permission you will go to.
My main advice for when you get on the permission is basically the same as above, relax and enjoy the time you have :thumbsup:
Oh, and good luck with it. Blackadder's advice on a report is excellent. You never know where it will lead :)
I have tried to look on maps and lidar, but neither show the area particularly well. 🤷‍♀️ I think it’ll be a ‘pick a spot and go for it’ kind of search.
Live long and prospect
Spazzyken

Great advice there and when you get to the field go with your gut and I hope you find something of interest to show the landowners that way you can take it home clean and research it then arrange to meet up again and hopefully you get there trust for future detecting.cant wait for you to post a picture of all the finds good luck cheers ken
Littleboot

Where did the information about this site's pedigree come from? Is it noted in any antiquarian or historical studies? Or is it from handed down tales or someone adding two and two together and making ten? (Or both) I am not one to discount handed down tales as being completely without substance.....they usually have at least a kernel of truth in them and are worth noting and following up. But the story doesn't have to shift much for it to be a wild goose chase at first and it often takes several bashes at an area to establish what is what. (Same as with ANY permission.) Remember how they would get the map wrongly interpreted, or the old info was inaccurately drawn on Time Team. They would put a trench in 30 yards in the wrong direction and come up with nothing at all? Sites can be like that. In my experience there are hotspots which are quite hot and then you wander away a few yards and they go very cold very quickly. So easy to miss.
I remember being shown what was supposed to be the site of a motte and bailey by a local history buff many years ago. It wasn't classified but there were some references to there being one in the area in old local history books which quoted even older sources. He then had extrapolated the likely position by following the topography of the land. However, many years later, with the advent of the internet, I did some research of my own and found some new sources and this clearly placed the motte on the other side of the valley altogether and at the confluence of two streams. This happened to be in the grounds of a much later manor house. Looking at this, and some old maps, it was clear that the actual site was half a mile away from the one spread by word-of-mouth and based on false assumptions.
A similar situation has arisen regarding battle sites...famously Bosworth Field....which were once considered pretty sure but are now disputed.

The 'one day only' rule is more than a bit odd IMO. It doesn't really make any sense in itself. Either they are happy with detecting or not. Unless the reason is to do with seeding/ crops growing or whatever then there is no logic to it. Also in my experience, landowners make rules for a specific reason. Or they simply say No. I personally haven't yet met one, despite other people interpreting things this way, who wastes time testing people out in convoluted ways. They are far too busy to play games and test people's moral fibre. :lol: Their land is an income stream and that is the bottom line.

Which brings me back to my first paragraph. My view is they have either had some detectorists on in the past ....perhaps quite a while ago.....and that chucked up some Civil War stuff. Or there is some family tradition and maybe bits of stuff ploughed up. Or some combination of the two. Now I am afraid my years on this earth have led me to be very mindful of motives and to be highly suspicious of being manipulated. If I was in this position i would immediately think i was being used to do a quick survey. Long enough to perhaps produce a 'teaser' coin or artifact but not long enough to mine the seam. My first thought would be that they are seeing if they can find out a bit/ confirm a few things before they set up a paid dig. Which is also why, much as I respect members honesty and so forth....I wouldn't waste my time taking pictures and writing reports. I think there is a high probability you will be taken for a mug. So...go to the site for the day with an open mind and have a waft around in the time allowed. Don't go with pre-conceptions based on these tales. They seldom come to fruition and certainly seldom on a sole visit. It usually ends in frustration and a wild goose chase. just keep an entirely open mind and search the field as you would search any new field...say at a rally....and leave it at that. But don't wast time fiddling around plotting finds and recording on phones. Your time is short enough and you are not being paid for your survey.
A foolish faith in authority, is the worst enemy of truth." Albert Einstein
Oxgirl

Good post Lb :clapping:

I miss your common sense and straight talking when you’re not about. Lots to think about there I think.

Emily, do you know/ can you share why just one day?
Sometimes I question my sanity but the unicorn and the gummy bear told me I’m fine
Emily

wittsy1 wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 3:20 pm
One visit? Did they say how long a visit, pitch a tent and camp for a week :) :shh: Seriously though Blackadders reply sounds pretty good to me.
A tent is pretty obtrusive. Maybe a hammock would be better. 😂😂
Live long and prospect
Emily

Saffron wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:02 am
Easylife wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:03 am
All great advice so far, apart from pitching a tent, lol! Whatever is there is there good or bad. Show them your finds, inform them about the history, get their interest and then return whenever you like, job done! :thumbsup:
I agee with Easy life ...... "All great advice so far, apart from pitching a tent"

I mean this time of year who wants to be in a tent?, get a caravan with all the mod cons and it will be like home :rollinglaughing: :rollinglaughing:

I think its time I got my coat :thumbdown:
Evan
Great advice. Do you have a caravan I could borrow. 😂😂
Live long and prospect
Emily

Marley wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 6:17 am
Who was it who told you only the once, only the landowner can say that .
If it was the landowner, you knackered, if not I’d forget what you have been told and speak to the owner
It was the landowner who said it.
Live long and prospect
Emily

Littleboot wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:49 am
Where did the information about this site's pedigree come from? Is it noted in any antiquarian or historical studies? Or is it from handed down tales or someone adding two and two together and making ten? (Or both) I am not one to discount handed down tales as being completely without substance.....they usually have at least a kernel of truth in them and are worth noting and following up. But the story doesn't have to shift much for it to be a wild goose chase at first and it often takes several bashes at an area to establish what is what. (Same as with ANY permission.) Remember how they would get the map wrongly interpreted, or the old info was inaccurately drawn on Time Team. They would put a trench in 30 yards in the wrong direction and come up with nothing at all? Sites can be like that. In my experience there are hotspots which are quite hot and then you wander away a few yards and they go very cold very quickly. So easy to miss.
I remember being shown what was supposed to be the site of a motte and bailey by a local history buff many years ago. It wasn't classified but there were some references to there being one in the area in old local history books which quoted even older sources. He then had extrapolated the likely position by following the topography of the land. However, many years later, with the advent of the internet, I did some research of my own and found some new sources and this clearly placed the motte on the other side of the valley altogether and at the confluence of two streams. This happened to be in the grounds of a much later manor house. Looking at this, and some old maps, it was clear that the actual site was half a mile away from the one spread by word-of-mouth and based on false assumptions.
A similar situation has arisen regarding battle sites...famously Bosworth Field....which were once considered pretty sure but are now disputed.

The 'one day only' rule is more than a bit odd IMO. It doesn't really make any sense in itself. Either they are happy with detecting or not. Unless the reason is to do with seeding/ crops growing or whatever then there is no logic to it. Also in my experience, landowners make rules for a specific reason. Or they simply say No. I personally haven't yet met one, despite other people interpreting things this way, who wastes time testing people out in convoluted ways. They are far too busy to play games and test people's moral fibre. :lol: Their land is an income stream and that is the bottom line.

Which brings me back to my first paragraph. My view is they have either had some detectorists on in the past ....perhaps quite a while ago.....and that chucked up some Civil War stuff. Or there is some family tradition and maybe bits of stuff ploughed up. Or some combination of the two. Now I am afraid my years on this earth have led me to be very mindful of motives and to be highly suspicious of being manipulated. If I was in this position i would immediately think i was being used to do a quick survey. Long enough to perhaps produce a 'teaser' coin or artifact but not long enough to mine the seam. My first thought would be that they are seeing if they can find out a bit/ confirm a few things before they set up a paid dig. Which is also why, much as I respect members honesty and so forth....I wouldn't waste my time taking pictures and writing reports. I think there is a high probability you will be taken for a mug. So...go to the site for the day with an open mind and have a waft around in the time allowed. Don't go with pre-conceptions based on these tales. They seldom come to fruition and certainly seldom on a sole visit. It usually ends in frustration and a wild goose chase. just keep an entirely open mind and search the field as you would search any new field...say at a rally....and leave it at that. But don't wast time fiddling around plotting finds and recording on phones. Your time is short enough and you are not being paid for your survey.
The provenance came from historical word of mouth originally, but I have found old/more recent maps and they show significant earthworks and all are marked as an long burnt down civil war castle/more for wealth than defence, a moat and some possible medieval defences underneath.

The landowner gave me the permission, but she knows that there’s quite a lot of history there. I think she’s concerned what the neighbours will say. Plus, the field is divided into two by a fence, and she only owns 1/2.
Live long and prospect
Emily

Oxgirl wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:33 pm
Good post Lb :clapping:

I miss your common sense and straight talking when you’re not about. Lots to think about there I think.

Emily, do you know/ can you share why just one day?
I think she’s concerned about what the neighbours will say as the field is quite open and there is a tonne of potential with the field. She knows the history.
Live long and prospect