Portsmouth

Saffron

Rules will be set to allow metal detecting to be carried out in Portsmouth following a run of archaeological discoveries made during work on the Southsea sea defence scheme. Unsure but by the wording it looks like this is new and that detecting here was not allowed before

https://www.portsmouth.co.uk/news/polit ... th-3156756

Evan
Oxgirl

Very interesting Evan, thank you for sharing :thumbsup:
chill…karma will fix it

Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
Saffron

Oxgirl wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:58 pm
Very interesting Evan, thank you for sharing :thumbsup:
This is the bit that I liked, rather than just give a bland "No" as some councils do when finds are made and detectorists request permission they are moving forward and looking at how detecting might be allowed in an area with known history.

It comes as several requests have been made recently to detect on Portsmouth City Council land - thought to be a result of a string of historical finds along Southsea seafront.

Without looking at any specific forum member *coughs" could the NCMD provide a supporting statement to the council in advance of this meeting on the 12th.

Evan
Dave The Slave

I`ve been noticing these finds on the PAS database over the past few months and hope they give the go ahead.
Can then use that as a precedent set by another South Coast Council, to try and get a local permission from my own. Which i have tried on several occasions, without success.
Cheers, :thumbsup:
Dave.
jcmaloney

They won`t be giving permission unless it is part of a "professional excavation". They will certainly review it on a case by case basis and then say no.

What you need to do is challenge the local authority as to when their bylaws were last reviewed under the Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government regulations.

That starts the ball rolling:
There is a clearly defined process for all Local Authorities to follow if they wish to
review, make changes, remove or include further byelaws.
The below also demonstrates the timeframe that the council local to me has applied to the completion of each stage.
1.1.Equality Impact Assessment (EIA) – Started pre consultation August 2018
1.2.Consultation – September – October 2018 Completed 05/11/2018
1.3.Review feedback and produce consultation report – November 2018
1.4.Complete EIA – Post consultation November 2018
1.5.Produce & publish regulatory assessment – November 2018
1.6.Submit application to MHCLA (allow 12 weeks) – December 2018
Notice of intent published on website – March 2019
1.7.Consultation period 28 days – April 2019
1.8.Seal byelaws – May 2019
1.9.Publish introduction of byelaws – May 2019

You then have to respond to the public consultation and attend a few Council meetings.

Of the 530k local residents 36 responded !! :D

Because ONE person challenged the "no detecting" by law it was changed and of the 153 local parks & green spaces you can now detect in many of them except those with SAM`s in etc.

Know the system....play the system.... it`s the only way. :thumbsup:
I`m Marmite me. Opinionated, obstinate and somewhat tenacious.