There's desperate and then there's desperate

bob79

figgis wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 4:13 pm
Don't think the club knows the way things work, either :lol:
One club that I inquired about joining many years ago was the same, you had to have land for them to go on.
figgis

Ok, so let me make sure I've got this right - you have to let club members onto your land, thereby missing out on finds, and you pay them for the privilege?

:shock:
bob79

figgis wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 4:26 pm
Ok, so let me make sure I've got this right - you have to let club members onto your land, thereby missing out on finds, and you pay them for the privilege?

:shock:
You get to go on the other members land as well, but basically that's it in a nutshell.
Metalurgy

figgis wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 4:13 pm
Don't think the club knows the way things work, either :lol:
I was flummoxed.
“Seek and you will find”,well probably…..
JohnDeus

Easylife wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 12:13 pm
It sounds like he just needs to work on his charm offensive. :)
:lol: :lol:
Kenleyboy

I get where the frustration comes in and I suppose we have all experienced enough knockbacks to put a dampener on things . It is very hard to get permission here in this part of Norfolk especially local to me and I also have first hand experience of the syndicate buying groups , I also lost a permission to this tactic .I doubt this fella will get very far though , if it is genuine then it is a very desperate attempt at gaining permission .
I was surprised that how many club members I know who do not have permissions and rely on the club digs to get their fix , that must be very frustrating yet two friends of mine new to the hobby got permissions straight away without too much hassle , works for some but not others .
I went with my Daughter over the weekend permission hunting as she has just got into the hobby and sadly I cant take her onto my main permission just yet . It was an eye opener and brought back some memories for me when I first started out . Every request was turned down but my optomistic side tells me we will get lucky sometime , it just takes patience .
Easylife

I have had no trouble getting permissions so guess that I am either just very lucky or am naturally charming?  :lol: Though maybe a bit of both? ;) If the oppertunity is there then I feel that it is just a case of taking the right approach to win over the landowner. My permissions are mostly previously undetected and I sought the last one a couple of years ago. I spotted some land, found out who the owner was, called them and had a friendly chat, done! The permission before that I was chatting to the landowner and they offered me their land to detect without me even asking.
Of course if a landowner say's that they already have someone detecting on their land then fair enough, and I'm less Interested, but it still begs the question of when they were last there, like if it has been 6 months, a year or more even? I think that I will bag a bit more local land soon just to ring the changes. It may be more difficult now as no doubt many more have already been asking, but if it is not already taken then I find that name dropping can work wonders! :thumbsup: :D
Good things come to those who wait.
BuriedByTime&Dust

bob79 wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 4:36 pm
You get to go on the other members land as well, but basically that's it in a nutshell.
I can imagine the reaction of the landowner of my local permission if I said "is it okay to bring along thirty or so guests?"! :shock:
Oxgirl

Getting that first permission is hard.

It’s easier when you get one cause the landowners talk to each other and getting more land then becomes easier. Two of my landowners have promised to have a word with neighbouring land owners to get me on their land - without asking. Cold calling, with no reputation for being trust worthy to call on, is very difficult.
chill…karma will fix it

Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
shaggybfc

I have 1 permission next to a church and the landowner tells me about people calling him and writing to him for permission. I've seen a few of the letters - all have been generic, straight of t'net efforts. Over the last 4 years, I'd guess he's had 20 - 25 cold callings. It must get tiring.
Always carefully proof-read what you've typed to see if you've any words out.
Deus with 11" X35 and 9" HF coils. MI 6 pinpointer.
Pete E

I am going to look at this from a slightly different perspective in that how difficult must it be for a traditional bricks and mortar club to find land for its members?

I get nervous knocking on a farmhouse door asking for permission for myself and a friend to dig, never mind myself and plus 50! If a Club has an operating model where every member has to obtain/offer access to one permission for a club dig, I don't see that as a terrible thing...

It is of course is open to abuse by members offering known poor quality land, but if every member of the club entered into the spirit of the idea, collectively the club would be in good shape and members would get access to a lot of different land...