Light "em up !

Kenleyboy

The bottle digging forays havent been quite so abundant as of late , work and of course metal detecting have got in the way . The digging for bottles takes some organising and I need to put aside a whole day and then rest up the next , so two days in fact , its an age thing .
Glass fascinates me and I have engraved , etched and sandblasted glass for best part of my life up until about ten years ago and as fragile as it can be it does have a certain quality which offers many interesting avenues to explore on what can and has been done with this sparkling medium .
Bottle digging isnt for everyone , it can be hardwork and also disappointing but it never ceases to amaze me how much has survived over many years , after all bottles are a throw away substance , used and then disregarded and disposed of in large or even small tips without a single thought that one day in a 100 plus years , oddballs like me would be digging them back up and even more bizarre , actually collect and admire them .
To admire is to display and thats exactly what I did when I chanced upon a nice clean display cabinet nestled in amongst the many donated items in the confines of a local charity shop .
Twenty sobs later I was the new owner of a cabinet worthy of filling with all my hard won efforts in the shape of coloured Victorian bottles and as bright as they are they still needed a further injection of life in the shape of some fancy LED lights to bring out the true beauty of embossed coloured glass .
The Victorians were very good at advertising their wares and in a very competitive growing market, bottles had their fair share of induced marketing and design . Heavy embossed lettering and pictorials , simple sublime designs to the ridiculous that overshadow the bland modern counterparts we have today . A variety of colours from blue , green , amber, aqua and clear all lend themselves to the beauty of glass .
I dont do electrics but I have a good mate that does and once installed the LED lit the room up like Brighton Pier . At first I thought it was just overkill but once the bottles went back in they soon soaked up the bright light and made it a little more manageable to appreciate .
I can just about live with the fake leaded light pattern on the glass door but I can see that coming off soon but for now I will live with it .
20211102_222855_resized[39320]glass 1 blue.jpg
20211102_222919_resized[39321]glass 2 green.jpg
Easylife

Now that is a great way to use those untrendy display cabinets that no one really wants. We have one stored in the garage that was the wife's grandma's but if it came into the house then she would want just to put some old crockery in it! :? :thumbsup:
Good things come to those who wait.
Kenleyboy

Easylife wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 11:55 pm
Now that is a great way to use those untrendy display cabinets that no one really wants. We have one stored in the garage that was the wife's grandma's but if it came into the house then she would want just to put some old crockery in it! :? :thumbsup:
Its trendy now , it has LED :lol:
Blackadder43

Wow thats impressive, love all the different greens exposed with the lighting :clapping:
Put lights inside those bottles and folk from posh cities would pay a fortune for them :thumbsup:
I am not known for my ID skills, but i make a cracking brew :thumbsup:
keyfits

Most of us put our finds in boxes and only bring them out once in a while, I think it is fantastic when someone take the time and effort to display their found treasures for all to see and must give you great pleasure looking at them every time you pass by.
Great display by the way,
Dave The Slave

That is a great enhancement to display the bottles.
Imagine when the bottles were being sold originally and the shopkeepers had had illumination like this..
You can just see the children and customers looking in the windows with amazement.
Simple solution but total transformation.
Cheers, :thumbsup:
Dave.
Oxgirl

Well lit glass is stunning and you have beautifully lit yours :Luv Ya:

I do disagree though that modern glass bottles aren’t as well designed. I would have agreed a few years ago but the spirits market, especially for gin, has got so competitive that bottle design has started to revert back to the Victorian / early 20th century hay day. I’ve even kept a couple of my favourites because there was no way I could bear to recycle them.
chill…karma will fix it

Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
JohnDeus

They look great with the light on them
Easylife

I think that I might do that with my three bucketfuls of dug bottles once I get around to cleaning them properly. Just don't tell the wife? :Thinking:
Good things come to those who wait.
Kenleyboy

Oxgirl wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 7:58 pm

I do disagree though that modern glass bottles aren’t as well designed. I would have agreed a few years ago but the spirits market, especially for gin, has got so competitive that bottle design has started to revert back to the Victorian / early 20th century hay day. I’ve even kept a couple of my favourites because there was no way I could bear to recycle them.
Send me a pic and I will give you my verdict :lol: :thumbsup:
Saffron

Great display, love it.

I really shows how after spending many hours to make finds, detecting or bottle digging, we should make the effort to properly display them. (Sadly I have often been told I am great at giving good advice and hopeless at taking it, so in this case I am forced to bow my head in shame).

Evan
Kenleyboy

Saffron wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:59 pm
Great display, love it.

I really shows how after spending many hours to make finds, detecting or bottle digging, we should make the effort to properly display them. (Sadly I have often been told I am great at giving good advice and hopeless at taking it, so in this case I am forced to bow my head in shame).

Evan
You should see my cabinet drawers full of ill arranged metal detecting finds , its a shambles . Took me almost five years to get around to sorting this cabinet out for the bottles . :thumbsup:
Oxgirl

Kenleyboy wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:16 pm
Oxgirl wrote:

Here you go :Luv Ya:
43DDAA8A-F9BC-4E66-BC3C-9FA3BFABA212.jpeg
chill…karma will fix it

Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
figgis

Lighting a display can bring it to life and that's never more evident than with glass, especially if it's coloured. Great display :thumbsup:
Kenleyboy

Oxgirl wrote:
Sat Nov 06, 2021 1:02 am
Kenleyboy wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:16 pm
Oxgirl wrote:

Here you go :Luv Ya:

43DDAA8A-F9BC-4E66-BC3C-9FA3BFABA212.jpeg
On this occaision I will make an exception that modern day bottles are not as nice as the victorian versions :lol:
I have to say they are rather nice and I can see why you kept them , too nice to throw away . Someone in their design dept was obviously inspired by bottles from the past .