Good to be getting back to meeting folk.

jcmaloney

Having plodded along since 1968 our club normal life was "paused" by the pandemic for 18months or so.

We had our first "free" meeting in August 2021, after the restrictions were lifted, it was far from normal as only a few people made those first baby steps into the new world of hand sanitiser, masks and keeping apart. Mostly just a chat, eating cake and drinking tea!

Septembers meeting was similar, although a larger attendance, and the recruitment process beginning for some new members ready for 2022. And cake.....

Last night was far more normal. An attendance of 38 and a speaker talking about Medieval Tournaments. And cake.....

Looking forward to November we will get to meet our new FLO who started in post in the first month of the pandemic! There will be cake..

It`s not to be under estimated the impact the pandemic has had on so many people in so many ways and the part "old fashioned" clubs can play on easing people back into living their lives again. :thumbsup:

Oh - and cake is pretty important too! Thanks to our wonderful refreshments team! :D
I`m Marmite me. Opinionated, obstinate and somewhat tenacious.
Oxgirl

Very nice to hear that the social side of the hobby is getting back to normality, or as near as it can be. It’s something I know a lot of people have severely missed, especially those who live on their own with very limited opportunities to mingle with others.

Mind you it also sounds like your club members might be bucking the trend and haven’t put on weight during the pandemic, but lost it, if the cake is as delicious and abundant as it seems to be at your meetings :lol:
chill…karma will fix it

Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
figgis

Interesting to hear how things have gradually worked their way back to something approaching normality :thumbsup:

Tell me, John - I take it that with the amount of cakeage demolished face masks aren't required? Mind you, they are useful for hiding just how much cake you've stuffed into yer gob :D
jcmaloney

figgis wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:33 pm
Interesting to hear how things have gradually worked their way back to something approaching normality :thumbsup:

Tell me, John - I take it that with the amount of cakeage demolished face masks aren't required? Mind you, they are useful for hiding just how much cake you've stuffed into yer gob :D
We (and the venue) reccomend masks and there is plenty of sanitiser around............ unless eating (cake!) or drinking. :thumbsup:

We had scones as well as cake..... none left! :D
Easylife

jcmaloney wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:59 pm
We had scones as well as cake.
Are you sure that it's not just turned into a confectioner's club? :D
figgis

My thoughts too, Easy :thumbsup: ;)
jcmaloney

We find cake stops the members coming up with any silly ideas. :D

It`s rude to talk with your mouth full. :D

Cake!
Saffron

I am pleased to say my club also restarts its monthly meetings this week.
But I think they are missing a trick as they do not have cake :thumbdown: - I need to raise this with the chairperson - but it is at a pub :thumbsup:

In fact just had the following from him -
Please bring any recent ( since Covid started!!! ) finds with you for the finds table as Kurt Adams (FLO) will be attending and casting his expert eye over things. ... at least the long break means I actually have some thing to take :thumbsup:

Please support the Exmouth Arms by buying a drink at the bar even if only a soft drink. .... silly man thinking he needs to say this to me :lol: :lol: :lol: (well it would be rude not to support the pub wouldn't it).

Evan
shaggybfc

Our club restarted the meetings in August, but the September one got postponed due to the fuel crisis :shock: We normally have a small buffet, where we contribute a pound, but that has now stopped since restart :cry:
It's interesting to see the characters at the meetings....
The quiet one - who pulls out a Saxon gold something or another at the end of the evening, not thinking people would be interested.
The gobshite one - the person who thinks they're the FLO and gives everyone an ID - even though you absolutely know they're wrong 90% of the time.
The show-off one - the person who brings out a find they made years ago and pretends it's new.
The e'bay one - like the show-off, but buys the cheap snide rubbish off E'bay to pass of as finds,
The list can continue......
I do like the club meets.
Always carefully proof-read what you've typed to see if you've any words out.
Deus with 11" X35 and 9" HF coils. MI 6 pinpointer.
Saffron

shaggybfc wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:59 pm
Our club restarted the meetings in August, but the September one got postponed due to the fuel crisis :shock: We normally have a small buffet, where we contribute a pound, but that has now stopped since restart :cry:
It's interesting to see the characters at the meetings....
The quiet one - who pulls out a Saxon gold something or another at the end of the evening, not thinking people would be interested.
The gobshite one - the person who thinks they're the FLO and gives everyone an ID - even though you absolutely know they're wrong 90% of the time.
The show-off one - the person who brings out a find they made years ago and pretends it's new.
The e'bay one - like the show-off, but buys the cheap snide rubbish off E'bay to pass of as finds,
The list can continue......
I do like the club meets.
Sorry Shaggy but I am not at all impressed :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

You start the list then after only 4 stop .... where is the rest of it?. I suspect there should be at least 10 as in all the "10 best ..." lists.

Additionally can you please clarify the rules for these listings. Specifically can one person qualify for two catagories???.
Reason for asking is that the person I immediately thought of as the "The gobshite one" I very strongly suspect would also qualify as "The show-off one", and I am unsure if he could have two titles.

Evan
shaggybfc

Apologies Evan,
Maybe I should have included the ‘not-impressed one…. :lol:
Don’t want to hijack JCM’s post, but feel free to add rules and other characters.
I’m the ‘socially awkward’ one, if you’re wondering…. Sits quiet, then makes a joke that no one finds funny, and it often offends :shock: :D
Always carefully proof-read what you've typed to see if you've any words out.
Deus with 11" X35 and 9" HF coils. MI 6 pinpointer.
Easylife

shaggybfc wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:14 am
I’m the ‘socially awkward’ one, if you’re wondering…. Sits quiet, then makes a joke that no one finds funny, and it often offends :shock: :D
Ah so you're the chilled out troublemaker with a good sense of humour. :thumbsup:
No you need to keep a stern look during those ever so important meetings, now go practice it in the mirror! :rollinglaughing:
jcmaloney

Well if you watch the Club meetings in the excellent "The Detectorists" comedy series that is how they are! :D

We have.........

The Finds expert (isn`t really but folk humour them)
The Wants More Done (but doesn`t want to do it or help)
The Random Bloke who makes notes (could be unique to us - he is neither numismatist or detectorist!)
The Newbie (been a member for 5 years but still asks the same questions)
The Old Hand (they`ve found it all, in every field, in every county)
The Moaner (been to that field before, its cold, its wet, its muddy, no signals, car tyres got muddy)
The Gone by Lunch (arrives at 9.00am and gone by 12 - "nothing in them fields")

Apart from those unique folk most of us just bimble along digging stuff up, enjoying the hobby and eating cake! :thumbsup: