Is the 800 worth the extra cost?

TheFenTiger

So as I have alluded before I am thinking of getting the Equinox. I just missed out on the summer deal where the 600 came with the wireless headphones but as I am going to be going from a Deus, is the extra cost of the 800 worth it over the 600? If the difference between the equinox and Deus is that great, is it worth paying the additional £220 for those features if I can get a deal with the wireless headphones again?

I appreciate that your either use the 600 or 800 and very few people would do that upgrade and that if you only know the 800 you will always be bias towards it but is that additional cost worth the additional features? Do those features get used often enough to matter?

I should add I do usually only use the Deus in 2 tones.
Dave
Bigtim1973

I have had 2 equinox 600 machines. I cannot speak on the 800.

They are well balanced, have a large screen which is easy to see and a variety of tone options.

In mild ground, I found the equinox running in single frequency was nice and pleasant. In multi freq it seemed to false a lot in iron trash sites. The stock 11 inch coil did not want to pick out the goodies as easy in multi freq in areas laden with iron trash.

I think the 11 coil is a bit too big for searching in woods and forest.

The 6 inch coil available isn't quite large enough to conveniently search an old house site.

I think Minelab would do good to offer an 8 inch or 9 inch coil.

If you are going to be detecting in the rain, on mineralized ground, inland lakes, rivers or salt water beaches, I would pull the trigger on an equinox.

It is a good machine. But I stuck with the XP stuff. They just seem to perform better for me.

I found it to be more of a coin type detector. It wasn't as good of a do all machine for use in fields relic hunting for the type of detecting I do.

Would I have another equinox?

Yes I certainly would if was going to detect on the beach or in shallow fresh water detecting or if I needed a back up machine.

But if you seem to have some highly mineralized conditions in which your deus only gets down about 4 inches then an equinox may serve you well.
I use the XP ORX and XP Deus Metal Detectors.
Pete E

TheFenTiger wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 4:45 pm
So as I have alluded before I am thinking of getting the Equinox. I just missed out on the summer deal where the 600 came with the wireless headphones but as I am going to be going from a Deus, is the extra cost of the 800 worth it over the 600? If the difference between the equinox and Deus is that great, is it worth paying the additional £220 for those features if I can get a deal with the wireless headphones again?

I appreciate that your either use the 600 or 800 and very few people would do that upgrade and that if you only know the 800 you will always be bias towards it but is that additional cost worth the additional features? Do those features get used often enough to matter?

I should add I do usually only use the Deus in 2 tones.
The 800 has the Gold mode which I don't think is of any practical value here in the UK..The other difference is that you can fine tune the various setting more on the 800, but whether that translates to more finds or not, I don't honestly know...

I went for the 800 simply because I knew I would always be wondering what I was missing out on if I had gone with the 600, but that's just me...
Metalurgy

I have both and my best find(gold stater) was with the 600.Yes you can fiddle more with the 800 + the gold modes which are fairly irrelevant in the U.K.
They both use the same frequencies in multi,you won’t miss anything with the 600 that you may think you’d find with the 800,start with 2 tones,it’s what I use mainly ,50 is a cacophony and in my opinion it’s easier to miss stuff with 50.
You won’t be disappointed by the 600 but try and make sure you have the wireless module,the wireless headphones aren’t that great.
“Seek and you will find”,well probably…..
Easylife

I use the 800 with 15" coil and XP backphones with the WM-08 wireless unit.
I'd say that the 800 is better value as you get the wireless unit and also better wireless headphones, but I only use those headphones for beach detecting and at home.

Performance wise the 600 and 800 are the same and I doubt that the finer tunings of the 800 would make any real difference.

But!
Gold mode isn't just for finding small gold, it's great for finding anything but especially deep weak targets. I expect that many have tried it in standard form and simply dismissed it?
I often use a modified gold mode on my old pasture, it has true threshold where all of the other modes only use a reference threshold. It is a one tone program and amplifies weak targets, so simple but you really won't miss anything using it! I add some iron discrimination and other setting changes so it better suits me.
I generally search in Field 1, All Metal, 50 tones, but also use Gold 1 on seemingly hunted out ground.
So for your purpose of say seeking even deeper hammered then I'd say get an 800 for the Gold mode as it covers all bases, especially if used optimally. :thumbsup:
Last edited by Easylife on Tue Aug 10, 2021 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pete E

Easy life,

I would be very interested to hear more about using Gold mode over here in the UK, particularly the full settings you use..

Regards

Peter
Easylife

Pete E wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:49 pm
Easy life,

I would be very interested to hear more about using Gold mode over here in the UK, particularly the full settings you use..

Regards

Peter
Hi Pete, I use pretty much the same settings as I would in Field 1. Mine are Multi-frequency, Reactivity 4, Sensitivity 24, Iron Bias 0.
In Gold mode noise cancel and ground balance on clear ground as normal, then add up to about +4 discrimination otherwise it will likely be noisy. Threshold can be left at 0 though I had it set just audible. The main difference of Gold mode is how it processes and boosts the audio of targets, though there seems to be more to it than just that. Well that's how I have used it with good results but I should really try other ways too.

I buried a hammered penny in my garden at exactly 9" deep for testing using the 15" coil. In Field 1 I could only hit it one way but Gold 1 with same settings got it both ways though second was weaker but easily repeatable, so it had an some advantage there!
Easylife

Pete E wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:49 pm
Easy life,

Regards

Peter
Just to add about using Gold 1, I reduced the sensitivity to 22 for stability and fluctuated between all-metal and using some discrimination. It's nice and quiet when using some discrimination but it tends to chop the target response, though in all metal you just have to watch the TID's. Either way it won't let you miss anything with it's banging audio response even on weak targets! :thumbsup:
Pete E

Thanks for the info! :thumbsup:

Going to give this a go at the weekend...Maybe set up the Custom setting so I can switch between modes easily..
Easylife

Pete E wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:06 am

Going to give this a go at the weekend.
I'd be interested to see how you get on with it! :thumbsup:
Pete E

Easylife wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 2:43 am
Pete E wrote:

Hi mate, just looking at the manual re gold mode, and it states the default uses Tracking Ground Balance...do you use that or change it to normal Ground Balance?
Easylife

Pete E wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:07 am
Easylife wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 2:43 am
Pete E wrote:

Hi mate, just looking at the manual re gold mode, and it states the default uses Tracking Ground Balance...do you use that or change it to normal Ground Balance?
Use normal GB. :thumbsup:
Pete E

:thumbsup: