The new Nokta Makro multi frequency machine

Pete E

BuriedByTime&Dust wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:24 pm
It will be interesting to see the test/reviews :thumbsup:

What makes me slightly dubious about buying a Nokta Makro is how quickly their machines seem to fade away into relative obscurity. How many people do you hear of or see using the Fors Core, Impact, Multi Kruzer or even the relatively recent Anfibio?
I think they went a bit over board producing various models that were not really radically different from each other...This was especially so when they were two separate but somehow sister brands of Nokta and Makro....

Their pricing also seems to lack a strategy....For instance who is going to buy an Anfibio now at £850 or even a Multi Kruzer at £650 now they have released this new SMF machine at £679?

That said, technology wise, I think they are actually pretty good and all their machines seem to perform well at their prospective price points, offer good build quality, and a reasonable array of features...
Oxgirl

Easylife wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:39 pm
I was very surprised in the live launch video that they chose to display the potential winner's email address rather than just name alone! :shock:
With you on that. Same when they scrolled through the names before the draw too :shock:
chill…karma will fix it

Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
Easylife

Oxgirl wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:48 pm
With you on that. Same when they scrolled through the names before the draw too :shock:
Glad I didn't enter to be spammed and emailed by many asking if I wanted to sell it! :lol:
Good things come to those who wait.
Easylife

That feature of bars which shows both the ferrous and non-ferrous target content at the same time. I had something similar on a White's DFX many years ago. I think Nokta said that their testers dug 60% less iron using it? I hardly dig any iron with the Nox so not sure it would actually be of any advantage at all?
Easylife

Clearly challenging the Nox 800 but at Nox 600 price. Maybe why Minelab are now offering BT headphones with the 600 to make very similar specs at same price? Unless you would actually use the gold mode then the 600 is just great.
Easylife

Nokta seemed to simply just dismiss Minelab's Multi IQ but the proof of the pudding will be when both machines are compared. But the Legend should be very capable. :thumbsup:
bob79

Easylife wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:37 am
That feature of bars which shows both the ferrous and non-ferrous target content at the same time. I had something similar on a White's DFX many years ago. I think Nokta said that their testers dug 60% less iron using it? I hardly dig any iron with the Nox so not sure it would actually be of any advantage at all?
Trying to capture the I can't be bothered to learn my machine sector of the market.
Saffron

I thought it looked very promising.

The build is well tested and proven as its the same as the Simplex, so that is one potential issue that does not have to be worried about.

So all we want to know now is how good will it perform.

As a Nox user one thing I certainly liked was the stem. On the Nox I find it a pain to change the length or collapse at the end of a session, and this looks much quicker and easier. Additionally as I sometimes do beach detecting, or by rivers / streams, I sometimes need to submerge the coil under water ... and guess what the water gets in the holes into the stem :shock: :shock: (Sorry Minelab you should have done better here).

These days a lot of people do not bother with watches and just use a mobile phone for checking the time, as some mobiles can interfere with a detector this means they turn the phone off, so having a clock on the detector is not as pointless as some might initially think (and it was added due to the number of people that asked for it). But for the future when they start hitting the secondhand market the total usage will be VERY useful for perspective buyers - no more of the "Little used" claim when its been used daily for the last 2 years!.

I thought the price might actually be higher.

It is certainly a very serious challenge to the Nox as long as it performs as well as is claimed. Also how many will want to pay twice this for the new Deus II?. To justify twice the price it will have to have a serious performance advantage .... will it?.

Evan
Pete E

Saffron wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 1:19 pm
I thought it looked very promising.

The build is well tested and proven as its the same as the Simplex, so that is one potential issue that does not have to be worried about.

So all we want to know now is how good will it perform.

As a Nox user one thing I certainly liked was the stem. On the Nox I find it a pain to change the length or collapse at the end of a session, and this looks much quicker and easier. Additionally as I sometimes do beach detecting, or by rivers / streams, I sometimes need to submerge the coil under water ... and guess what the water gets in the holes into the stem :shock: :shock: (Sorry Minelab you should have done better here).

These days a lot of people do not bother with watches and just use a mobile phone for checking the time, as some mobiles can interfere with a detector this means they turn the phone off, so having a clock on the detector is not as pointless as some might initially think (and it was added due to the number of people that asked for it). But for the future when they start hitting the secondhand market the total usage will be VERY useful for perspective buyers - no more of the "Little used" claim when its been used daily for the last 2 years!.

I thought the price might actually be higher.

It is certainly a very serious challenge to the Nox as long as it performs as well as is claimed. Also how many will want to pay twice this for the new Deus II?. To justify twice the price it will have to have a serious performance advantage .... will it?.

Evan
I think it will take a lot to sway an existing Deus user to switch to the Legend, and I think many existing Deus users will bite the cost bullet and go with the Deus II if they want multi-frequency....No, I think Nokta had ML firmly in its sights when it released this...

I do wonder why the Legend was designed around the budget Simplex though, and not the Anfibio?
Saffron

Pete E wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 1:30 pm
I think it will take a lot to sway an existing Deus user to switch to the Legend, and I think many existing Deus users will bite the cost bullet and go with the Deus II if they want multi-frequency....No, I think Nokta had ML firmly in its sights when it released this...

I do wonder why the Legend was designed around the budget Simplex though, and not the Anfibio?
Agree.

When Nokta Makro started to design this they only had Minelab in mind, as at that time Deus had not announced the move to multi-frequency and they basically discounted the Garrett Apex (possibly rightly so!).

I think its very unlikely that they will attract more than a few existing Deus users. What I meant by my comment was in relation to either new detectorists or people upgrading, how many of these would want to pay twice the money for the Deus II?.

Evan
bob79

[/quote]

Simplex is waterproof, so having to design a another waterproof control box.
BuriedByTime&Dust

Saffron wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 1:19 pm
Also how many will want to pay twice this for the new Deus II?
*raises hand*

I definitely want to, because I'm very confident that what I'll be buying will be exceptionally good, backed up by ongoing updates to iron out any glitches that might arise, and not effectively discontinued after a couple of years.
DaveP

Easylife wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:39 pm
I was very surprised in the live launch video that they chose to display the potential winner's email address rather than just name alone! :shock:
If that's the case they may well have contravened GDPR - which really isn't very clever.
DaveP

Is the Legend targeted at the Nox - well maybe but not really. Another way to put together a marketing strategy is to set a number of features at a particular price point. What the Nox has done for Nokta is show what consumers, and remember we are talking across the world, will pay for a particular set of features. They are equally comparing themselves to the Deus 2 but for half the price.
The Legend, Deus or Nox can't say they are a 'better" machine if you define "better" as finding more stuff and avoiding more crap. They all know they are limited by physics even before Badger from Norfolk posts his first "the done to death field came alive" YT video.

It then comes down to several types of consumer, and there are more than listed.
1. I want one.
2. I want these features and money isn't a concern.
3. I want these features and I want value for money
4. I want as much as I can get and I have limited funds.
5. I want loads of features just so I can tell others what I've got even if I don't need them.

Looked at that way:
The Legend, Deus 2 and Nox are all multifrequency
They all do single frequencies.
They all do wireless headphones
They are all waterproof.
All rechargeable.

In essence, they all do the same and there is no proof that one is better in the above departments than the other as the companies won't publish any standard head to head tests.

Sure, the Deus wins on weight but no longer on compactness. So, if you don't mind some extra weight and a coil wire, the Nokta looks like a good buy compared to the Deus 2.

The run-time clock, which really says how many times the battery has been recharged, is a double edged sword. Until someone can say what a 'long time' is then, for example, 100 hours might drive down your second hand price when it is actually very little detecting time. And how long before someone works out how to reset the clock - easily done on cars!

I think Nokta have been smarter on their pricing than just comparing with the Nox.
Oxgirl

I guess it’s a bit like cars really. They all get you from A-B but some will do it in more comfort, at different speeds, with added creature comforts and different looks. Some are made to last, others aren’t. Budget, where and how it is used, different brand values and other things will determine which one is perfect for us. No right or wrong just differences.

It used to be that cars really got the competitive juices flowing in the 70s. I remember if anyone got a new car in our road all the blokes would be round having a shufty and then later they’d be having a bitching session to their mates about how the new car was ugly or had a bad radio, etc. so they’d feel better. Then a few days later there would be grumbling about their own car to justify a new one. Remarkable how one new car had a domino effect on the street and lots of new ones appeared in the next few months :lol: These days I don’t think that happens anymore as cars are changed more often anyway.

That competitive streak does seem to happen with detectors instead though. There’s those that immediately decide it’s rubbish (without ever seeing or trying it ); the brand bashing because it’s not from their preferred make; the ones who criticise the buyers for having more money than sense; the ‘wait and see’ because they think the ones who buy it first are fools who should make the mistakes. The best one (thankfully the rarest breed) those who give the sly stab in the back about the detecting prowess of the purchaser because they think the new machine is being used to make up for the buyer’s poor detecting technique :lol: Obviously they don’t need to change their machine from the ancient model they still doggedly swing because they don’t need new technology when actually they are scared stiff of it.

To be fair there are those people who change their detector for the latest model more often than they change their underwear and don’t have a clue, have too much money to burn and like to have the latest thing. For the vast majority of people though a new detector is done rarely and after considerable thought. I doubt any of us have exactly the same thought processes when deciding to buy a new detector - but they’re all valid :Luv Ya:
chill…karma will fix it

Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking