Do any of us actually own a C. Scope ?

Dave The Slave

The Hub has been up and running for 10 months, very successfully.
Languishing on the side like an unused substitute in the Metal Detectors sub section is that old faithful C. Scope. Nine months passed without this section giving birth, now time to induce it. :?
Many of us who started in the late 70`s early 80`s, may well have started with this brand and it`s Shepherds crook handle. It was indeed my first and only detector, although i can`t recall the exact Model number, may have been a 770 ? until i purchased the Bounty Hunter in 2005, after a 20 year gap from detecting ,which still has occasional use.
The Bounty Hunter served me well and still does, while i was stuck on the beaches without an inland permission. The big limitation was it would not work on wet sand. After reading various articles plumped for a C.Scope 4Pi. Simple to use for a Technical idiot like myself. Turn on and go basically.
Remember the first time i used it, 13/8/2014. Straight into the wet sand alongside a groyne. Did find coins, did find that holes soon filled with water :thumbdown: . In a smallish area by the end of the session had found 23 Decimals worth £1.17, mainly coppers. Wife had outscored me, using the Bounty Hunter on the dry sand £2.38. First time she had come detecting with me, in a short lived detecting foray, where i was outscored on each of those 3 occasions. The law of diminishing returns and her paltry reward of 11p, which still beat me, was the end of her detecting. :Party:
Used the CS4Pi, several more times on the wet without much success, not even any pre Decimals that i was hoping to find. Decided to start using on the dry sand more depth than the B/H but no discrimination. Final use came in June 2016. Probably used for around 40 hrs in that time and found around £40.
Having secured an inland permission for after the Harvest of that year, that was probably going to be it`s last use until the end of the inland season and then back to the beach for it to be used.
However it was not to be. Using the B/H inland quickly realised i needed more depth than 3", although on dry sand depth was a lot more. Beach finds were supposed to fund an Ace 250, by then the new 300/400 i range had come out. Had enough funds for the 400i and have used it ever since. Also found the 400i better on the beach due to the pin point and discrim than the CS4Pi, have no wish to detect the wet stuff anymore,.
The CS4Pi has been consigned to the wardrobe ever since.
If by any chance i ever find any secluded coves, may bring it out of retirement.
Do any of you have a C.Scope or have any memories of using one ?
Cheers, :thumbsup:
Dave.
Blackadder43

Yep, was my first machine back in the very early 80's....1981 i think ish
Anyways i saw it as an advert in the back of the "Exchange and Mart" paper that my dad used to get
I pleaded with him to buy me one, but he said no as back then it was a tickle after you needed a pipe licence to use one (might have still needed one, not sure, but as a kid i didnt care about technicalities like that)
Anyways, it transpired that i had to pay for it myself if i wanted one, so i saved like a trooper with my paper rounds and saturday "shed boy" job in the local hoilday camp and then dad turned that cash into a cheque and posted it off
That was the crook handle, but i dont remember any model names
Found a few sixpences on our local beach if i remember correctly, and a local Somerset infantry cap badge, which when i showed me nan she said "oooh thats nice, i'll have that" bless her
Never saw that again lol

C-Scope have stood the test of time to be honest.....trusted name
I am not known for my ID skills, but i make a cracking brew :thumbsup:
Dave The Slave

Remember sending off for the Pipe Licence, only ever applied the once.
Detected the woods, edge of a sports field and the field adjacent to a Caravan park, which with detecting, found out it had been used for camping, ie tent pegs. Never even thought about asking permission. Finds mainly pre decimal coppers, did keep a detecting journal back then. Would like to find that, may be in the loft round at Mums.
Did try and get permission without success to detect some old caves across the river that had been lived in.
Life was so much simpler back then in our youth.
Cheers, :thumbsup:
Dave.
tone

First machine 1978 c scope ib [induction balance] just two knobs found everything lol. had a few more c scope machines but detecting certainly change for me with the purchase of the arado 120b 1980. purchased a c scope promet 2 in 1985 which in my view was the best machine c scope ever produced i used the promet for 25 years until it finally died. :cry: