Harvest watch

Oxgirl

How’s your area progressing? Let us know

If you want to know how your fields are looking then don’t bother driving over, use this handy satellite tool. It updates every couple of days and, provided there’s no cloud cover, you can see how your field looks without being in the field. Worth bookmarking!

https://apps.sentinel-hub.com/sentinel- ... ates=false
chill…karma will fix it

Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
Saffron

Whats "Harvest watch"?.

Oh silly me, its what you people with arable permissions do in the summer.

Not that it bothers me with 90% of my permissions being old pasture and the other 10% woods and orchards, but around here in the North Cotswolds it looks a fair bit off yet - but saying that its amazing what a difference a week or 10 days can make if its hot and dry.

Evan
figgis

Green as grass all over at the moment but a few fields showing signs of progress. At least another 6 weeks to go I reckon.
HolzHammer

Thats handy! Cant work out how to stay on "map" view though.....
Blackadder43

HolzHammer wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 6:23 am
Its possible its more geared towards a phone device rather than a PC/laptop set up as its an app?
Looks a good tool to have though for research :thumbsup:
I am not known for my ID skills, but i make a cracking brew :thumbsup:
shaggybfc

I have 2 fields, drilled with barley on the same day. One is turning golden very nicely and the other is still green.
I like this APP :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Always carefully proof-read what you've typed to see if you've any words out.
Deus with 11" X35 and 9" HF coils. MI 6 pinpointer.
mattjb

Oxgirl wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:18 pm

If you want to know how your fields are looking then don’t bother driving over, use this handy satellite tool. It updates every couple of days and, provided there’s no cloud cover, you can see how your field looks without being in the field. Worth bookmarking!

https://apps.sentinel-hub.com/sentinel- ... ates=false
Nice one oxgirl. Any tips on using that site? I can’t seem to get a very clear image or is that how it usually is? What I can see all looks a bit green unfortunately!
Saffron

Blackadder43 wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:27 am
HolzHammer wrote:
Its possible its more geared towards a phone device rather than a PC/laptop set up as its an app?
Looks a good tool to have though for research :thumbsup:
I got it to work fine on a desktop pc.

Its not designed to stay on "map" view. The undelying map is just basically designed to let you confirm you are looking at the area you meant to select. I then replaces this with the satellite image.

Evan
Saffron

mattjb wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:42 pm
<cut>

Nice one oxgirl. Any tips on using that site? I can’t seem to get a very clear image or is that how it usually is? What I can see all looks a bit green unfortunately!
There is a chance that where you were looking at had a covering of very thin cloud, hence the poor image.

Looking at my one permission it was perfectly clear, but some of the surrounding area was either not very clear or pure white.
Having work with satellite imagery a lot in the past it was obvious that the pure white was solid cloud, and the blurred area was very thin cloud.

Remember we look up at a cloud so it might look very dark to us. But the Satellite is looking down on it, and the top of the cloud is in bright sunlight so looks pure white.

Evan
mattjb

Saffron wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:02 pm
mattjb wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:42 pm
<cut>

There is a chance that where you were looking at had a covering of very thin cloud, hence the poor image.

Looking at my one permission it was perfectly clear, but some of the surrounding area was either not very clear or pure white.
Having work with satellite imagery a lot in the past it was obvious that the pure white was solid cloud, and the blurred area was very thin cloud.

Remember we look up at a cloud so it might look very dark to us. But the Satellite is looking down on it, and the top of the cloud is in bright sunlight so looks pure white.

Evan
Thanks Evan, I had a flick through some of recent days on there, as you say some are a white out due to cloud. The clearest ones were still a bit blurred but good enough to see whether anything has been harvested or not. Will keep an eye on it in the next couple of weeks. Cheers, Matt
Oxgirl

HolzHammer wrote:
You are having the same’ problem’ as me. As Saffron has explained above it goes from map to a white screen cause it was last updated on the 12/7 and it was a very cloudy day. It should go map to a nice satellite image. It’s due to be updated in the next 24 hours I believe so hopefully the clearer skies will improve the situation :thumbsup:
chill…karma will fix it

Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
alloverover

Oxgirl wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:18 pm

Carrots are coming off in Norfolk :thumbsup:
figgis

alloverover wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:39 pm
Carrots are coming off in Norfolk :thumbsup:
There are pills for that :thumbsup:
Saffron

mattjb wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:20 pm

<Cut>

Thanks Evan, I had a flick through some of recent days on there, as you say some are a white out due to cloud. The clearest ones were still a bit blurred but good enough to see whether anything has been harvested or not. Will keep an eye on it in the next couple of weeks. Cheers, Matt
Do remember that this is fairly low resolution imagery, hence it will never be crystal clear.

We are not talking high resolution military grade imagery where you can allegedly (covering myself because some know where I used to work :) ) see what newspapar a person is reading

If you go to the top level of the site https://www.sentinel-hub.com/ and work through it you can find out much more detail.
The imagery that we see and is free to the public, is the lowest level resolution. I think it is the Landsat imagery and that only has an 18 metre resolution (so it has to be that size to be able to identify what it is).
For the higher resolution you have to pay.

Evan
mattjb

Thanks Evan, I saw options to pay and guessed you’d get a better quality image if you did. It’s a useful resource though whether you pay or not. At the end of the day I can always text the farmer if in doubt.