What detector do you use and why??

mattjb

Yep that makes sense.
Having the ability to change frequency makes it worth going over ground you’ve just gone over but in a different frequency to winkle out stuff that may not have been picked up the first time. I guess after you gain more experience with the machine you’ll find which frequencies tend to pick up more of the desired targets on different field conditions
Bigtim1973

mattjb wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:46 pm
Yep that makes sense.
Having the ability to change frequency makes it worth going over ground you’ve just gone over but in a different frequency to winkle out stuff that may not have been picked up the first time. I guess after you gain more experience with the machine you’ll find which frequencies tend to pick up more of the desired targets on different field conditions

Yes. Even Gary Blackwell responded to my thoughts on the frequencies in another forum once.

What we have been taught about lower frequency for deep high conductors vs higher frequencies for small shallow mid conductors doesn't always line up.

So I threw away those old detecting myths a while back.

Use what provides results.
I use the XP ORX and XP Deus Metal Detectors.
Bigtim1973

Saffron wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:40 pm
After a lot of reading / looking at reviews I started with the Garrett Ace 250. As it had consitently good reviews for a "starter" machine and the low price meant if I decided metal detecting was not for me I would not have lost too much money. For the money it was a great machine and I found a lot with it. However, technology has moved on so not sure if starting now I would still go for it.

I then had a Makro (now under the Nokta badge) Racer 2. A very good "mid range" machine at the time and a logical progression from the Ace250 due to its extra options without being over complex and again had lots of good reviews and looked good value. Again lots of good finds and very impressed with the build quality and what you got for the money (a feature of all Nokta / Makro equipment). For anybody not wanting to go into the Dues / Nox price range do have a good look at the Nokta range, they are very well made reliable machines and you get a lot for your money.

I then got a secondhand CTX3030. I know its a fantastic machine .. BUT I found it heavy and struggled to get on with it the few times I used it.
In fairness it was not given a real chance as very soon after getting it I was on an organised dig using the Racer 2 and it was TORRENTIAL rain and although the Racer worked well all day when I went to use it a few days after on the Thursday it was dead (after being given time to dry out it was fine and is still used as my back up machine) and that weekend I was on a Friday - Sunday rally !!. So options were drop back to the Ace250 (I wanted a better machine for the event) or use the CTX (not with that weight and not knowing it) or get a new higher specification machine (so I took this option)
If I had given the CTX the time needed to learn it I am sure that in some circumstances I would still use it, even with now having the Nox

After a quick look around I quickly got down to the choice of the Dues or Nox. Both would have done me well. But after more detailed reading / looking at reviews I went for the Nox. One of the mains reason for this was that it is fully waterproof and having just drowned the Racer 2 this was a higher priority than it normally would have been. I also thought it looked easier to use "straight out of the box" - a big factor as I was buying it the one day and needed for a long weekend rally starting the next day!. I also liked the way it could be switched from multi-freq to single freq if needed and the options that gave. I also do a bit of beach detecting and the Nox is very good on the beach.

Evan

Nice wrote up
Sorry you lost your racer though!!!

If I would be ever able to hunt on the beach I would go for the equinox as well. They say all of the good stuff is about waist deep. I do not know as I have never tried it.

I can see why you chose it too. A bit easier to get down the settings.

But I still like that large display. It is very nice on the equinox.

Nokta make incredibly strong and sturdy equipment.

They have a nice large screen too. I had the same racer 2 and an original racer.

Plus the old first core that looked like a helicopter control stick.

Very robust units
Oxgirl

Deus lover too. I have the full set up but after nearly 6 years I never switch the controller on anymore. It’s light, simple and sensitive. I adore medieval coins and my favourites are round farthings and halfpennies. They are tiny, thin bits if silver but the Deus loves them.

Also can’t stand wires anywhere - the Deus is neat and tidy and easy to clean on it’s annual bath :lol: Also I love the fact that the Mi6 pin-pointer goes straight to my headphones. Like the Figgis I can’t ever see me switching brands - I think I’m now a deus girl through and through. I think a lot of people feel that way - brand loyal that is - no matter which brand it is. It’s hard to switch for lots of us, we invest in learning our machines and the thought of starting again I can’t be bothered with :lol:
chill…karma will fix it

Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
Bigtim1973

Oxgirl wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:10 pm
Deus lover too. I have the full set up but after nearly 6 years I never switch the controller on anymore. It’s light, simple and sensitive. I adore medieval coins and my favourites are round farthings and halfpennies. They are tiny, thin bits if silver but the Deus loves them.

Also can’t stand wires anywhere - the Deus is neat and tidy and easy to clean on it’s annual bath :lol: Also I love the fact that the Mi6 pin-pointer goes straight to my headphones. Like the Figgis I can’t ever see me switching brands - I think I’m now a deus girl through and through. I think a lot of people feel that way - brand loyal that is - no matter which brand it is. It’s hard to switch for lots of us, we invest in learning our machines and the thought of starting again I can’t be bothered with :lol:

So your content with the lite set up. I understand that. It makes for some fun digging and then the surprise when it comes out of the ground.

So with that said, which tone options tone option are you partial to???

Yes the wireless coil is a very nice thing. No weeds and thorny vines getting caught up in the wires!!!
Blackadder43

I'm not so much brand loyal, but more interested in my time investment
I used a Fisher CZ3D for many years, and mine was one of the few that made it to the UK that was tuned in the factory by none other than Thomas Dankowski, who is a genius and very thorough with his testing and machine data sheets.....He has a sheet that lists every machine he set up before it left the factory premises
Sadly i had to sell it some time back to liquidate some funds, reluctant sell and one i regret now, although i sold it for more than i paid for it due to its provenance
plus i had other fishers before that one

Then i had my Etrac for quite a number of years, and now i use the Nox 800
I like to fiddle with the machine in the fields to get the best out of it for any given situation, and the Nox suits that urge

Ultimately folk tend to stick with something that they can gel with
Horses for courses i think :thumbsup:
I am not known for my ID skills, but i make a cracking brew :thumbsup:
Oxgirl

Bigtim1973 wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:39 pm

Tweaked Hot programme - like full tones to really understand what is going on. I drop reactivity to 2.5 and use the 11” X35 most of the time on ~17-20khz. Happy to tweak as needed though but we’re lucky here that the soil is rarely mineralised so I just keep it on factory settings and have never had to ground balance. I just keep an eye on the mineralisation bar instead. Tracking ground balance here is a big compromise on performance so not worth it on my sites.

I also have a HF elliptical coil. I use it for hotspots which are generally noisy and iron contaminated. Also good on Roman sites where again there’s lots of small iron and the coins are small and dirty sounding. I like my machine to run hot now - it’s hard work but worth it :D What about you?
chill…karma will fix it

Bigtim1973

Blackadder43 wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:55 pm
I'm not so much brand loyal, but more interested in my time investment
I used a Fisher CZ3D for many years, and mine was one of the few that made it to the UK that was tuned in the factory by none other than Thomas Dankowski, who is a genius and very thorough with his testing and machine data sheets.....He has a sheet that lists every machine he set up before it left the factory premises
Sadly i had to sell it some time back to liquidate some funds, reluctant sell and one i regret now, although i sold it for more than i paid for it due to its provenance
plus i had other fishers before that one

Then i had my Etrac for quite a number of years, and now i use the Nox 800
I like to fiddle with the machine in the fields to get the best out of it for any given situation, and the Nox suits that urge

Ultimately folk tend to stick with something that they can gel with
Horses for courses i think :thumbsup:
Oh Nasa Tom stuff sells like crazy. I have owned a few of the cz units. By far a very good model. Of course l, I was partial to the Los Banos CA models the most.

Dual freq and deep.

Pity we all have had units we wish we still owned. I know the feeling. On the past when I was younger I would just Dell my extra units and never thought twice about it as they were everywhere a dime a dozen. Now some have become almost non existent and very hard to come across.

I know how you feel!!
Bigtim1973

Oxgirl wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:32 pm
Bigtim1973 wrote:

Tweaked Hot programme - like full tones to really understand what is going on. I drop reactivity to 2.5 and use the 11” X35 most of the time on ~17-20khz. Happy to tweak as needed though but we’re lucky here that the soil is rarely mineralised so I just keep it on factory settings and have never had to ground balance. I just keep an eye on the mineralisation bar instead. Tracking ground balance here is a big compromise on performance so not worth it on my sites.

I also have a HF elliptical coil. I use it for hotspots which are generally noisy and iron contaminated. Also good on Roman sites where again there’s lots of small iron and the coins are small and dirty sounding. I like my machine to run hot now - it’s hard work but worth it :D What about you?
Yes here likewise the ground is mild where I live so i do not have to do that either.

The gold fields and in high mineralized ground and such is where you have to worry with that.

As you have read I am sure, I am trying to get used to full tones. It is different.
Oxgirl

Bigtim1973 wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:44 pm
Oxgirl wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:32 pm
Bigtim1973 wrote:

Yes here likewise the ground is mild where I live so i do not have to do that either.

The gold fields and in high mineralized ground and such is where you have to worry with that.

As you have read I am sure, I am trying to get used to full tones. It is different.
Different is good. Gets your ears in :D
chill…karma will fix it

Easylife

I started off with a White's Classic III then got a White's DFX. I really liked the Classic III, a great simple detector, the DFX went deeper but had a crazy amount of adjustments and was quite a learning curve to get the best from it. I hated having to scroll through the seemingly endless DFX menu to make adjustments but on the bright side it never ever saw any coke, which can't be said for many modern single frequency machines even! At that time I didn't have a permission so I didn't really get to use it too often.
A few years later we decided to sell our house and travel around Western Australia until our savings ran out. We had spent a year there 10 years earlier and had met several gold prospectors, so I thought I would give that a go and bought a used Minelab GP3000 in the UK to take over there. It was about half the price of a used one in Aussie so could not lose on it. I found much tiny lead shot with it but no gold, but then I was probably just not in the right place. Still I decided to gold prospect more seriously and bought a new Minelab GPX5000, just what an incredible machine, so sensitive! I compared the two detectors using tiny lead shot at various depths and then sold the GP3000 to a dealer in Kalgoorlie Boulder for double what I had bought it for! I soon found my first gold nugget and then several regularly on a daily basis. I think I only blanked on two days in a total of 9 months prospecting though research, luck and having the GPX set up hot seems to have paid off. I found over 550 mainly tiny gold nuggets for about 8oz, smallest was 0.08g though there were a couple at 9g. Not a great return by local standards but I was quite happy with being £8k better off. Whilst over there I also bought a used Minelab X-Terra 705 with the gold pack sent over from the US, well It was still much cheaper than buying in Aussie! There is lots of iron around the old gold mine workings no doubt masking gold nuggets so the discrimination and tiny coil target separation should be ideal. But I never actually used it for that as the GPX was just too awesome to not use! But I did use the 705 around campsites etc and found plenty of coins and fishing weights. I sold both detectors before I left Aussie 2 years later and got most of my money back on them.
So on returning to the UK I had a renewed detecting Interest, gained a small pasture permission and set the DFX back to work. It seemed to be doing okay and found my first hammered. I came into some money and treated myself to a brand new Deus, it found what the DFX hadn't on that pasture! I gained a large pasture permission and most targets were rather deep, the Deus found plenty but struggled to ID the very deep targets often just falsely sounding them as iron. After about 2 years I bought a Nox 800 and have never looked back. Again on that same small pasture field that both the DFX and Deus had been over, the Nox found a lot more unexpected targets Including three more hammereds!
The Nox is ideal for my mainly old pasture permissions and accurately ID's the very deep targets as non-ferrous with an elevated tone even if beyond TID range. I use it with the 15" coil, a bungee, and XP backphones with the wireless module. Even with the 15" coil it finds tiny bits and is still not bad at target separation. The Nox is a great detector which still never fails to impresses me. If something sufficiently better came out I would still keep this as a spare. I have no brand loyalty, it's just whatever is the best tool for the job!
Maybe a bit long, but you did ask! :D Well that's what led me to what I use now. :thumbsup:
Bigtim1973

Easylife wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:06 am
I started off with a White's Classic III then got a White's DFX. I really liked the Classic III, a great simple detector, the DFX went deeper but had a crazy amount of adjustments and was quite a learning curve to get the best from it. I hated having to scroll through the seemingly endless DFX menu to make adjustments but on the bright side it never ever saw any coke, which can't be said for many modern single frequency machines even! At that time I didn't have a permission so I didn't really get to use it too often.
A few years later we decided to sell our house and travel around Western Australia until our savings ran out. We had spent a year there 10 years earlier and had met several gold prospectors, so I thought I would give that a go and bought a used Minelab GP3000 in the UK to take over there. It was about half the price of a used one in Aussie so could not lose on it. I found much tiny lead shot with it but no gold, but then I was probably just not in the right place. Still I decided to gold prospect more seriously and bought a new Minelab GPX5000, just what an incredible machine, so sensitive! I compared the two detectors using tiny lead shot at various depths and then sold the GP3000 to a dealer in Kalgoorlie Boulder for double what I had bought it for! I soon found my first gold nugget and then several regularly on a daily basis. I think I only blanked on two days in a total of 9 months prospecting though research, luck and having the GPX set up hot seems to have paid off. I found over 550 mainly tiny gold nuggets for about 8oz, smallest was 0.08g though there were a couple at 9g. Not a great return by local standards but I was quite happy with being £8k better off. Whilst over there I also bought a used Minelab X-Terra 705 with the gold pack sent over from the US, well It was still much cheaper than buying in Aussie! There is lots of iron around the old gold mine workings no doubt masking gold nuggets so the discrimination and tiny coil target separation should be ideal. But I never actually used it for that as the GPX was just too awesome to not use! But I did use the 705 around campsites etc and found plenty of coins and fishing weights. I sold both detectors before I left Aussie 2 years later and got most of my money back on them.
So on returning to the UK I had a renewed detecting Interest, gained a small pasture permission and set the DFX back to work. It seemed to be doing okay and found my first hammered. I came into some money and treated myself to a brand new Deus, it found what the DFX hadn't on that pasture! I gained a large pasture permission and most targets were rather deep, the Deus found plenty but struggled to ID the very deep targets often just falsely sounding them as iron. After about 2 years I bought a Nox 800 and have never looked back. Again on that same small pasture field that both the DFX and Deus had been over, the Nox found a lot more unexpected targets Including three more hammereds!
The Nox is ideal for my mainly old pasture permissions and accurately ID's the very deep targets as non-ferrous with an elevated tone even if beyond TID range. I use it with the 15" coil, a bungee, and XP backphones with the wireless module. Even with the 15" coil it finds tiny bits and is still not bad at target separation. The Nox is a great detector which still never fails to impresses me. If something sufficiently better came out I would still keep this as a spare. I have no brand loyalty, it's just whatever is the best tool for the job!
Maybe a bit long, but you did ask! :D Well that's what led me to what I use now. :thumbsup:
Yes your history of the hobby makes me green with envy. I have always wanted to go prospecting. And you did it in Australia....would love to go there.

The DFX is a good unit but has like you said....a menu set up to die for..... literally 🤣 although it was good for coin shooting....but the slow recovery and all the hold to waist and press enter then lower to ground and press enter for a ground grab....it was a bit too much.

I found the MXT as personally whites flagship for performance machine.

A few knobs and a couple of toggle switches....it was fast and deep compared to the V3i, DFX and VX3.

The large coil set up on your equinox I imagine goes pretty deep.

Your the first person I have noticed that use the large coil. Most other folks give it a try and sell it shortly after.

Thanks for your input. I enjoyed reading that.
Easylife

Bigtim1973 wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:55 am
The large coil set up on your equinox I imagine goes pretty deep.

Your the first person I have noticed that use the large coil. Most other folks give it a try and sell it shortly after.
The larger coil maybe goes about 2" deeper than stock but mainly has better ground coverage. They are noticeably heavier so won't suit too many, but is great with a bungee. :thumbsup:
Pete E

I have only been detecting about 4 years, so have not used a huge range of machines..

Started with Racer 2, and enjoyed the machine very much, but my main permission is riddled with coke and old cinders, which tended to drive it nuts and caused me no end of false targets..

Noticed a friend using a Nox rarely had issues which I learnt was down to the SIM MF...Looked at a few other detectors, particularly the Deus, but wasn't sure if I could learn it well enough to spot the coke, also did not really care for the Sooty and Sweep sound effects! :D

Have been using the Nox just over three years now and generally very pleased with it, although it's not perfect. ML really could do with improving the build quality on the coil lugs, and also the waterproofing...

Most of my detecting is pasture, with very little ploughed, so the Nox suits me..Have the 6" coil and recently bought the 15", which I love...

I am not one to chop and change, whether it's phones or detectors, but might consider an upgrade it ML produced a sort of Nox / CTX 3030 hybrid...it would have to offer tangible benefits though, improvements that actually increased target detection rates, not just added bling features....
Dave The Slave

Hello Tim, Have used the Garrett 400i for almost 5 years since they first came out.
The reason why, until Sept 2016 did not have an inland permission but luckily have miles of beach a 10 minute drive away.
Had invested in a Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, in 2005 as an easy to use beach machine, Did a couple of years then gave detecting a rest change of jobs etc. 2013 able to get into Beach detecting again, having no money, the idea was to fund a better detector with coins from the beach but not purchase until i could get somewhere inland. Reading reviews etc, the Ace 250 was going to be my purchase when the time was right. Not into Tech and needed something that was switch on and go and easy to use.
Three years passed and i finally managed to get an inland permission for 6 months while crops were off. The beach funds meant i could afford more than the 250. Looked at the 300i but for a bit more which i had the 400i with a larger coil could be purchased and so it was. Easy to use and has found Silver, Bronze, Copper Alloy etc, Bronze Age, Roman and not forgetting lead and rusty iron.
Not a person who likes or feels the need for change, very used to this machine and its simplicity. When the original coil finally broke last season was going to replace like for like but the Nel Tornado coil was actually cheaper and gives more coverage and a better balance, especially with stubble.
Due to time constraints do use discrimination, so tend to dig every signal, looking at the number just gives an idea of what could be there, but numerous items have the same number.
Would probably stay with the same machine if it ever needed replacing.
Cheers, :thumbsup:
Dave.