power cut needed.

Saffron

Today I had what is probably my shortest ever detecting session. I was not able to get out until late, but thought with the forecast for the next few days as the sun was still shinning I would grab an hour, hopefully 1 1/4. What I had not allowed for was turning the detector on and within a minute a lady I know ridding by and call over and start chatting for over 30 minutes. Lovely to see her and chat, but session was now reduced to 30-45 minutes.

But still managed to get a couple of local bag seals, from the same area where I had found an identical one previously. Also a lot of random bits of lead from the same area, so obviously some thing went on in this area. I also had the feeling that I was hitting more stones when digging targets than normal for this paddock. Might they have been put down to form a hard surface long ago?

After just over 30 minutes admit its getting too dark so decided to dig a not very promising final signal, I suspect more lead, but it turned out to be a very small undamaged thimble, I suspect not over old and by the size it might have been a childs.

But this paddock is right on the edge of the village and has a house either side of it. The one is no problem. However, the other is a very different story, I have no idea what they in the house causing EMI but as soon as you get within about 30yds the detector starts screaming like a banshee. Detecting through it means I can get the loud clear targets but I know I am missing things. Going to a single frequency does not solve the problem. With luck sometime during the winter when the weather is not to bad we will get a power cut during the day time so I can get on that section of the paddock and detect it properly.

Evan
Easylife

Saffron wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:34 pm
I have no idea what they in the house causing EMI but as soon as you get within about 30yds the detector starts screaming like a banshee. Detecting through it means I can get the loud clear targets but I know I am missing things.
I take it that it is not like electric fence pulsing? On open fields nearing a remote farmhouse I had a similar thing happen, I could only put it down to underground cables whether right or wrong. Reducing the sensitivity to more than I would have liked helped but did not completely eliminate it. :thumbsup:
Good things come to those who wait.
Mucky

Any antenna in the garden? Maybe a ham radio hobbyist?
One possibility out of hundreds.. I wouldn't wish a power cut on them though! Lol :Thinking: :thumbsup:
Mancaveman

On one of my permissions there is an underground power cable that runs behind some houses that causes my machine to have EMI :thumbdown:
Saffron

I admit the post was made some what tongue in cheek, as I was partly bemoaning the EMI and the session being reduced to only 30 minutes. Honestly I would not seriously wish a power cut on them .... if only because it would almost certainly take my power supply out to.

I think its some EMI coming from the house or garrage, as its all the adjacent area - rather than I would expect in a line going to / from the house if it was underground cables. The interference is constant, eg not pulsing like an electric fence. Its also every time I go by the house, even when it looks like nobody is in, so I think its some kind of equipment that is on 24x7.

Any really clear signals can be distinguished from the EMI, and reducing sensitivty helps (but as Easylife said does not completely eliminate it) but also reduces depth.

It is annoying but as its a small area I can live with it. Although unfortunately its right be the area where I am getting the bag seals and I am wondering if there might be other stuff there that I am missing.

But what does annoy me is that if we get a power cut during the day time I am certain to only think about it AFTER the power is restored and have missed the opportunity :pulling hair out: :pulling hair out:

Maybe a machine with a single freq of 45khz instead of 40khz would solve it. :rollinglaughing: :rollinglaughing:

Evan
coal digger

Sounds like the EMI is being caused by an experimental urban nuclear reactor.maybe line the detector with lead 👍