Good half day

Reiver

After waiting months for any amount of rain ,we finally get some , and more importantly enough to soak in properly and make the ground moist again.

It also put enough water in the river to bring some long awaited Salmon and Sea trout into the pool at the back of the house.
So this morning was a real dilemma, do I fish or detect.
Detecting won out.

So went to re-visit a field which showed potential when bone dry, as always, a pasture field.

First target a better than average George 3rd halfpenny, second target a Lizzie threepence. First Lizzie I've had in ages,
and a first for me a threepence,had sixpence and half groats but never a threepence.

The morning was going well, and a few more bits and pieces came up.
Then I got quite an iffy signal and deep,
what the hell I thought, nothing ventured and all that.
Lo and behold, an Eddy penny, and still only 12 o clock.

With things going so well, this is when thoughts of a Mc.Nabb of sorts set in.
Could I get two hammereds and a Salmon in the same day.

So, off to the river.

5 PM. Failed on the Mc Nabb , there were fish about but wouldn't look at the fly.

Also failed on ID on the Edward penny, its seen better days, I will be well impressed if anyone can ID it for me , all I can say( with some doubt ) is that it may be Canterbury mint.

Thanks in advance,
Reiver :thumbsup:
Attachments
20211010_175845.jpg
20211010_180149.jpg
20211010_180121.jpg
20211010_112221.jpg
20211010_112052.jpg
mattjb

That was a great mornings detecting,2 hammereds is a good result by anyone’s standards.
Shame the salmon didn’t play ball ! Seems quite a few detectorists are also anglers, I guess the mindset is the same and there are many similarities.
Must be nice to have a salmon pool by your house! I’ve never fished for salmon, the only fluff chucking I’ve done has been for reservoir trout and that’s not for a fair few years, it’s pike fishing that’s always been my passion.
Funnily enough I had my first every Lizzie three pence last weekend.
Easylife

Canterbury mint for sure, maybe Eddy I?
Well done. :thumbsup:
figgis

A very good half day :thumbsup:

That's definitely Canterbury mint, but as for the monarch... (gawd, I don't like these tricky Edwards)... maybe one of them 10cf jobbies which span Edward I and II.

I've never found an Elizabeth threppence either, but one day...
mattjb

Edit- was a three half pence I found not three pence!
Reiver

mattjb wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:52 pm
That was a great mornings detecting,2 hammereds is a good result by anyone’s standards.
Shame the salmon didn’t play ball ! Seems quite a few detectorists are also anglers, I guess the mindset is the same and there are many similarities.
Must be nice to have a salmon pool by your house! I’ve never fished for salmon, the only fluff chucking I’ve done has been for reservoir trout and that’s not for a fair few years, it’s pike fishing that’s always been my passion.
Hi Matt,
Yes, I think you're right, the mindset of the two hobbies are very similar. I've often pondered the similarities of the both disciplines .
Hunting for things unseen.
Under ground or water.
You can go months without a salmon ,same for hammered coins.
Usually conducted in beautiful places.
Persistent pays off in the end
The list goes on and on.

I have to say I never thought anything would give me as big a buzz as catching a fresh run spring Salmon on the Spey,
but I was wrong,
hammered coins and artifacts that nobody has seen or handled for hundreds of years has exactly the buzz for me.

What a hobby ! :thumbsup:
mattjb

Reiver wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:16 pm
mattjb wrote:
Hi Matt,
Yes, I think you're right, the mindset of the two hobbies are very similar. I've often pondered the similarities of the both disciplines .
Under ground or water.
The list goes on and on.

I have to say I never thought anything would give me as big a buzz as catching a fresh run spring Salmon on the Spey,
but I was wrong,
hammered coins and artifacts that nobody has seen or handled for hundreds of years has exactly the buzz for me.

You are right about that buzz!
Allectus

10cf1 - Canterbury. ;)
Reiver

Allectus wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:04 pm
10cf1 - Canterbury. ;)
Thank you very much Allectus,
I as always am very impressed with that ID. :clapping:
Oxgirl

Reiver wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:08 pm
Allectus wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:04 pm
10cf1 - Canterbury. ;)
Thank you very much Allectus,
I as always am very impressed with that ID. :clapping:
John got it spot on too - I’m impressed anyone could :shock:
chill…karma will fix it

Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
Reiver

figgis wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:55 pm
A very good half day :thumbsup:

That's definitely Canterbury mint, but as for the monarch... (gawd, I don't like these tricky Edwards)... maybe one of them 10cf jobbies which span Edward I and II.

I've never found an Elizabeth threppence either, but one day...
Apologies Figgis for not thanking you for ID on the Eddy.
Spot on , I am impressed, as Oxgirl said impressed anyone could get an ID off that coin. :thumbsup:
Kenleyboy

Reiver wrote:
mattjb wrote:
Hi Matt,
Under ground or water.
The list goes on and on.

but I was wrong,
Great finds by the way .

I have to agree , there are a great many anglers who also metal detect . I am one of those but now class myself as an angler who doesnt fish .Making rods full time now kind of takes that hunger away being surrounded by tackle all day every day . Something had to give , the passion is still there but metal detecting fills that void and gives me an equal buzz . I would rather metal detect nowadays , funny how life takes you in different directions :thumbsup:
mattjb

Kenleyboy wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:57 pm
Reiver wrote:
mattjb wrote:
Hi Matt,
Under ground or water.
The list goes on and on.

but I was wrong,
Great finds by the way .

I have to agree , there are a great many anglers who also metal detect . I am one of those but now class myself as an angler who doesnt fish .Making rods full time now kind of takes that hunger away being surrounded by tackle all day every day . Something had to give , the passion is still there but metal detecting fills that void and gives me an equal buzz . I would rather metal detect nowadays , funny how life takes you in different directions :thumbsup:
Which type of rods do you build out of interest?
Normally around now the gear is all ready for a season of pike fishing and I’m raring to go but having got back into detecting it seems to have made my fishing mojo shrivel right up! I’ve got a week’s fishing in the Lake District at the end of the month and I’m hoping that will spark it up again.
Metal detecting is easier for me to fit around family life it seems. You can grab the detector,spade and not much else and have a few hours whereas fishing for me is usually full dawn till dusk days , often involving boats and all manner of kit.
I’ll most likely do a mixture of both over the winter
Kenleyboy

mattjb wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:00 pm
Kenleyboy wrote:
Reiver wrote:
mattjb wrote:
Hi Matt,
Under ground or water.
The list goes on and on.

but I was wrong,
Great finds by the way .

Normally around now the gear is all ready for a season of pike fishing and I’m raring to go but having got back into detecting it seems to have made my fishing mojo shrivel right up! I’ve got a week’s fishing in the Lake District at the end of the month and I’m hoping that will spark it up again.
Metal detecting is easier for me to fit around family life it seems. You can grab the detector,spade and not much else and have a few hours whereas fishing for me is usually full dawn till dusk days , often involving boats and all manner of kit.
I build split cane , mostly coarse rods plus nets and floats so it keeps me busy . Fishing for me is a bit like a busmans holiday nowadays . I kind of knew this would happen when I went full time at it so metal detecting fills the gap . As you say , it is easier to fit round family and other commitments . Saying that , fly fishing with just a pocket full of bits and a small brook rod gave way more to the coarse side of things . no packing the car up with stacks of gear , travel light as I do now with metal detecting . :thumbsup:
mattjb

Kenleyboy wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:29 pm
mattjb wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:00 pm
Kenleyboy wrote:
Reiver wrote:
mattjb wrote:
Hi Matt,
Under ground or water.
The list goes on and on.

but I was wrong,
Great finds by the way .

I build split cane , mostly coarse rods plus nets and floats so it keeps me busy . Fishing for me is a bit like a busmans holiday nowadays . I kind of knew this would happen when I went full time at it so metal detecting fills the gap . As you say , it is easier to fit round family and other commitments . Saying that , fly fishing with just a pocket full of bits and a small brook rod gave way more to the coarse side of things . no packing the car up with stacks of gear , travel light as I do now with metal detecting . :thumbsup:
Split cane rods are lovely, the chap who I'm going to the lakes with has done a fair bit of split cane restoring and rebuilding.In fact that was how our friendship started,he offered to rebuild a chapman 500 Avon for me for free that I had bought for £15 on gumtree.He made a cracking job of it and it's one of my most treasured possessions.Later he gave me a B James carp rod that he'd rebuilt and that is also work of art. There's something about using a rod made from mostly natural materials.
You must be a skilled man,I've watched a few vids of split cane rods being made, definately an art !