Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:29 pm
mattjb wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:00 pm
Kenleyboy wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:57 pm
Reiver wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:16 pm

Hi Matt,
Yes, I think you're right, the mindset of the two hobbies are very similar. I've often pondered the similarities of the both disciplines .
Hunting for things unseen.
Under ground or water.
You can go months without a salmon ,same for hammered coins.
Usually conducted in beautiful places.
Persistent pays off in the end
The list goes on and on.

I have to say I never thought anything would give me as big a buzz as catching a fresh run spring Salmon on the Spey,
but I was wrong,
hammered coins and artifacts that nobody has seen or handled for hundreds of years has exactly the buzz for me.
Great finds by the way .

What a hobby ! :thumbsup:
I have to agree , there are a great many anglers who also metal detect . I am one of those but now class myself as an angler who doesnt fish .Making rods full time now kind of takes that hunger away being surrounded by tackle all day every day . Something had to give , the passion is still there but metal detecting fills that void and gives me an equal buzz . I would rather metal detect nowadays , funny how life takes you in different directions :thumbsup:
Which type of rods do you build out of interest?
Normally around now the gear is all ready for a season of pike fishing and I’m raring to go but having got back into detecting it seems to have made my fishing mojo shrivel right up! I’ve got a week’s fishing in the Lake District at the end of the month and I’m hoping that will spark it up again.
Metal detecting is easier for me to fit around family life it seems. You can grab the detector,spade and not much else and have a few hours whereas fishing for me is usually full dawn till dusk days , often involving boats and all manner of kit.
I’ll most likely do a mixture of both over the winter
I build split cane , mostly coarse rods plus nets and floats so it keeps me busy . Fishing for me is a bit like a busmans holiday nowadays . I kind of knew this would happen when I went full time at it so metal detecting fills the gap . As you say , it is easier to fit round family and other commitments . Saying that , fly fishing with just a pocket full of bits and a small brook rod gave way more to the coarse side of things . no packing the car up with stacks of gear , travel light as I do now with metal detecting . :thumbsup:
Split cane rods are lovely, the chap who I'm going to the lakes with has done a fair bit of split cane restoring and rebuilding.In fact that was how our friendship started,he offered to rebuild a chapman 500 Avon for me for free that I had bought for £15 on gumtree.He made a cracking job of it and it's one of my most treasured possessions.Later he gave me a B James carp rod that he'd rebuilt and that is also work of art. There's something about using a rod made from mostly natural materials.
You must be a skilled man,I've watched a few vids of split cane rods being made, definately an art !
It is a small world in the traditional angling circle , I may even know him or at least heard of him :thumbsup: