Buckles, Buttons, Pot leg

Dave The Slave

Was thinking of writing detecting lyrics to the Burley Chassis song, I Who Have Nothing, with the new title of ,I Who Find Nothing but that can stay on the back burner as yesterday i found items that you have all found before but have eluded me, so far.
Second visit to this field, chose the boundary where the car was parked and the one, at the end of that. Detecting friend went into the middle of the field again.
Finds started coming up at regular intervals.
Everyday plain buttons and a modernish buckle. Found another buckle, which looked a little older, top right in photo but still a plain square shape. A large lead button or knob not sure with iron staining, 2nd row 3rd item in group finds photo.
Next signal in that area, scraped the top stubble etc away and thought i had found a copper alloy ring, just showing on the surface, was a ring type buckle, buckle photo bottom right, approx 22mm x 18mm and still has the swivel cover that have had the pin attached.
Detected along the shorter 2nd boundary and followed that line into the middle of the field but centuries ago would have been another field boundary.
First signal there was what i thought was off a fireguard but my friend said was a pot leg, with some good definition, not found one of those before.
Few mts away on same line, found my best ever buckle Rarely find buckles and they are normally a plain square variety.
This one 43mm x 21mm has some decoration but does not show in photo, top row 1st buckle.
Finally another buckle, 2nd row 1st item, all in 5 buckles and 3 of those were newbies for me.
Main photo shows 22 items, further 6 items that were either Agricultural or shotties.
Best session this season and very enjoyable, even the sun shone thru in the last hour to take the chill off the breeze.
My detecting friend said i had the better finds this week, not so sure myself. Silver again but bent up and virtually smooth,. Two Georgian Halfpennies, plenty of buttons.
Two mounts, first one reminds me of Variety Hall, Garrick, Green .Man Alice in Wonderland Caricature.
19 items photo`d plus a few shotties and some agri` iron
Good days detecting.
Thanks for looking, :thumbsup:
Dave.
Easylife

Well it's about bleedin' time Dave. Some nice buckles there. :thumbsup:
mattjb

Good day with plenty of finds there!
The smallest buckle looks like it could be medieval with a roller? Hard to tell from the pics
mattjb

What is the item in the bottom pic , to the right of the musket ball and below the buttons? Looks interesting but I can’t work out what it is.
Dave The Slave

mattjb wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:05 pm
Good day with plenty of finds there!
The smallest buckle looks like it could be medieval with a roller? Hard to tell from the pics
There is a roller on it, think i described it as piece that held the pin.
Looked on a website possibly 1250 to 1400
Cheers, :thumbsup:
Dave
Kenleyboy

Nice one Dave , some great finds . Cant help but have a soft spot for buckles :thumbsup:
Oxgirl

Your buckles are brilliant !

Top row L-R 17th century; not sure - looks post medieval?
Bottom row L-R 15-16th century spectacle buckle, 1250-1350 with rotating roller bar

Great day’s detecting. Bet you enjoyed that - I would!
chill…karma will fix it

Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
Easylife

Kenleyboy wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:02 pm
Cant help but have a soft spot for buckles :thumbsup:
Me too, but just don't find many at all these days! :)
Dave The Slave

Oxgirl wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:43 pm
Your buckles are brilliant !

Top row L-R 17th century; not sure - looks post medieval?
Bottom row L-R 15-16th century spectacle buckle, 1250-1350 with rotating roller bar

Great day’s detecting. Beg you enjoyed that - I would!
Thanks for your Id`s Cath, know you`re good on buckles. Bottom 2 for the FLO at the end of the season.
The day was so good, just have a feeling there will be more buckles etc, as i progress across where the old field boundaries were.
Dave.
Dave The Slave

mattjb wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:18 pm
What is the item in the bottom pic , to the right of the musket ball and below the buttons? Looks interesting but I can’t work out what it is.
Hi, Matt, no idea what it is, possibly some sort of ornate embellishment to furniture perhaps ?
Was fixed via 2 holes , assume at each end, not sure what the rib was for on the back as it is about 3/4 of the way down the wide piece.
May need some more investigation as starting to show a Silver colour underneath on the front. Would have been 1" wide if complete by around 1.5 " and would have fitted over something with a curve .
Dave.
figgis

Great finds, Dave, yay! :thumbsup:

Loving that "Green man" mount and think the other is probably book-related.

Got to be pleased with that return, fellah :D
mattjb

Dave The Slave wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:46 pm
mattjb wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:18 pm
Hi, Matt, no idea what it is, possibly some sort of ornate embellishment to furniture perhaps ?
Was fixed via 2 holes , assume at each end, not sure what the rib was for on the back as it is about 3/4 of the way down the wide piece.
May need some more investigation as starting to show a Silver colour underneath on the front. Would have been 1" wide if complete by around 1.5 " and would have fitted over something with a curve .
Dave.
I still haven’t got a clue what it is but it looks interesting!
Easylife

Dave The Slave wrote:
Dave.
Maybe part of an early medieval brooch? :Thinking:
mattjb

Easylife wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:44 pm
Dave The Slave wrote:
Dave.
Never seen or handled one myself but looking through images of Saxon cruciform brooches you could be onto something there!
Oxgirl

Easylife wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:44 pm
Dave The Slave wrote:
Dave.
I was thinking the same. Good shout :thumbsup:
chill…karma will fix it

Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking