Two salutary lessons in one day

figgis

...and I'm not talking about Buffy Thruckbrindsley's gaffe back in '76 when, after a particularly heavy session at the club, he woke up next to a fetching blonde who, he discovered to his horror, had altogether more tackle than "she" should. Lesson One for him: check topography first. Lesson Two followed shortly after: don't claim to a furious wife that it didn't matter "because it was a man, m'dear." In the weeks following his recovery we swore we could spot a hint on makeup on him and his aftershave was more flowery than usual, but I digress...

What ho,

Managed to fire up the Jenks for the first time in a while and wandered over for a waft. The new hound is making huge demands on any spare time I have but I managed to slope off out, leaving her ladyship a note on the kitchen table. Yes, I'll pay for it later but the few blissful hours were worth it :thumbsup:

The scene which greeted us was a misty sunrise with a filigree of spiders' webs festooning the stubble, each picked out by the morning dew...
20211009_080213.jpg
20211009_081702.jpg
Sadly, however, the poetry of that scene soon became lost on me, what with constantly scraping my face free of the little swine that made the webs in the first place :pulling hair out:

Any road up, the first salutary lesson applied to the very first signal, which registered 90 on the British racing green with fluffy dice Deus. To my surprise it turned out to be a Roman grot, which normally only register mid-50s. Ok, this one was quite large and may have been laying flat, but it was still a higher signal than I'd have expected. As is my custom I checked the hole and the high signal was still there, turning out to be a really nice annular buckle. Weird one, this - it has a patina which is typical of the Roman finds I make but I'm not sure the Romans had these buckles. Lesson 1: always check your holes :thumbsup:

The very next signal was a barbarous radiate and the hat-trick of good finds on the first three signals was completed when I decided to dig a truly awful one which nevertheless had a certain brightness to it. A similar signal led to a Roman seal box lid last time out and on this occasion it was a bent hammered coin sharing space with a large nail. Lesson 2: always trust your machine and your ears :thumbsup:

Not at all sure if there's enough detail left on the coin to identify it (I'm not even sure if it's English) but I'll give it a bit of a spruce up and it's also a prime candidate for a bit of annealing. I'll report back :thumbsup:

Another candidate for annealing is the silver thimble fragment, though it's waffeur theen, so a greater degree of care is required.
20211009_150907.jpg
All in all it was a triumphant return and, well satisfied, I was lightheartedly thrashing Jenks on the way back to the jallopy when the Roman fibula turned up in an area they don't normally surface.

This field is hopefully about to be ploughed, so with any luck the next few weeks (hound permitting) might prove fruitful.

Pip pip :thumbsup:
Oxgirl

Nice finds John! Looking forward to seeing the coin after treatment. Would be worth pickling in a white vinegar and salt solution before and after annealing before repatinating. It'll make it go white but you'll get a much better result :thumbsup:
chill…karma will fix it

Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
Metalurgy

That’s a lovely buckle 👍
“Seek and you will find”,well probably…..
figgis

Oxgirl wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:42 am
Would be worth pickling in a white vinegar and salt solution before and after annealing before repatinating. It'll make it go white but you'll get a much better result :thumbsup:
Not tried that before. But, like Buffy above, I'll try anything once :lol:
Dave The Slave

Yet another laugh out loud opening paragraph .
Great photo of the Cob wobs on the stubble.
Worth entering for next years Country file Calendar. :thumbsup:
Time of year where you invariable end up walking into one strung between 2 non existent posts at face height. :pulling hair out: Not pulling my hair out but this was the nearest emoji for clearing a Spiders web from my face. :lol:
Good selection of finds, would be happy with the 1866 Farthing at the moment.
Cheers, :thumbsup:
Dave
figgis

Dave The Slave wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 2:09 pm
Time of year where you invariable end up walking into one strung between 2 non existent posts at face height. :pulling hair out: Not pulling my hair out but this was the nearest emoji for clearing a Spiders web from my face. :lol:
That's the entire trouble, Dave - these tiny spiders lob out a length of web so they can travel when the wind catches it; they don't need to string it between posts, the little divils. They just fly into you :evil:
Blackadder43

A productive few hours me ole shipmate, definately worth an hour in the brig from her who is to be obeyed :thumbsup:
Great cobweb photo too :clapping:

Checking the holes should be second nature to anyone with a tector, been caught a few times with multiple objects in the hole :ugeek:
I am not known for my ID skills, but i make a cracking brew :thumbsup:
figgis

Blackadder43 wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:46 pm
definately worth an hour in the brig from her who is to be obeyed :thumbsup:
An hour? An hour? If only :(
Oxgirl

figgis wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 3:32 pm
Dave The Slave wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 2:09 pm
That's the entire trouble, Dave - these tiny spiders lob out a length of web so they can travel when the wind catches it; they don't need to string it between posts, the little divils. They just fly into you :evil:
I went detecting yesterday and the whole field was a shimmering web - all 40 acres of it. Plus the flying ones too :shock: My coil is covered in sticky webs now, an arachnophobia’s nightmare :lol:
chill…karma will fix it

figgis

Just imagine how many got into your finds bag, Cath :shock: :lol:
Oxgirl

figgis wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:36 pm
Just imagine how many got into your finds bag, Cath :shock: :lol:
I was more bothered about the ones who were in my hair and dangling before my eyes making me think I’d gone mad :lol:
chill…karma will fix it

HolzHammer

Nice write up figgis… I could happily read the sort of stuff of the first few paragraphs for a lot longer esp as I’m ‘inter’ Wodehouse at the moment { I’m an ‘early Blandings’ man me self!) sone nice finds too - well done and ‘up yours’ as we say down my way
figgis

Never read Wodehouse (which, come to think of it, is odd) but loved the series with Fry & Laurie. Perhaps I should :thumbsup:

"Up yer nose wivva rubber 'ose" as we say down our way :lol: :thumbsup:
shaggybfc

The Buffy Thruckbrindsley's gaffe bit made me laugh and reminded me of a slideshow / talk given by a brute of a CS when visiting the Philippines in 1987 "a slap around the face is worth 2 in the bush lads" :lol:
Always carefully proof-read what you've typed to see if you've any words out.
Deus with 11" X35 and 9" HF coils. MI 6 pinpointer.
Kenleyboy

I had the very same thing re the spiders webs the other day , in your face , hair and nostrils ! spectacular sight though , seeing the entire field shimmering in strands of spiders webs . When out in the fields we get to see some wonderful things :thumbsup:
Great write up .