Candle stick? and a tiny thimble

TheFenTiger

I went out yesterday and one of the fields had been ploughed. Not normally my favourite surfaces but it didn't look too bad. A nice signal and a bronze item came out which I guess is part of a candle stick unless anyone has any other ideas.

This must be one of the smallest thimbles I have found! I know I have fairly big fingers but even so.

Dave
figgis

Candle stick/plume holder kinda thing looks a decent shout :thumbsup:

I've come across a few thimbles which were small but not as small as yours!
Oxgirl

Those tiny thimbles really are unbelievably small. It does make you wonder how young children were when they started sewing! They aren’t common but they do turn up every now and again and make us all stop and think. They make me smile too, imagining a child sat by his/ her parent learning to sew.

Presuming there was a house on the field where the candlestick was found? Bet there’s lots of buckles too as, in my experuence, the two go hand in hand :thumbsup:
chill…karma will fix it

Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
TheFenTiger

Oxgirl wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:35 am
Presuming there was a house on the field where the candlestick was found? Bet there’s lots of buckles too as, in my experience, the two go hand in hand :thumbsup:
Not many buckles. It is a field where there was a house but about 200 metres away. I have had Saxon to Elizabeth coins from the field though.
Dave
figgis

Might be worth bearing in mind that thimbles weren't just used for sewing but were used extensively in handling crops which could wear fingertips raw enough to bleed. I think that's the main reason we find so many on the fields :thumbsup:
Easylife

figgis wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:21 pm
Might be worth bearing in mind that thimbles weren't just used for sewing but were used extensively in handling crops which could wear fingertips raw enough to bleed. I think that's the main reason we find so many on the fields :thumbsup:
In ye olde times I think if you got straw puncturing under your fingernail it could get infected and maybe lead to gangrene and death. :?