small hammered

Kenleyboy

Slightly longer session this afternoon back on the land . Weather was cool with light intermittent showers and then blue skies and a little sunshine . Autumn beckons and the first fall of leaves as the breeze played havoc amongst the trees and within a few weeks the clocks will go back and the days will be shorter so for now I am making the most of it .
Second signal in was a half decent one , quite feint and I didnt hold out too much for it as this field is plagued with bits of silver foil but I was pleasantly surprised to winkle out this tiny hammered . At a guess I would say Elizabeth 1 half groat and although it was a little bent there was some good detail .
20211012_135543_resized[7942]Elizabeth bust.jpg
20211012_135524_resized[7973]hammered reverse.jpg
A find like this cheers me up no end but it is usually the death knell for me to find something good so early into the session and it was looking like this was on the cards as all I could muster was foil some buttons and a few shotties . Such good signals with disappointing results but you have to wade through it all and try and get lucky .
Next decent signal was this strange object . At first prior to cleaning the mud away i thought I had found part of an axe head fragment but looking closer it looks very much like the teeth from digger or maybe from a plough part .
20211012_160548_resized_1[7982]plough part.jpg
I have no idea , it is one of those objects that could be something interesting but probably not !
Not long after I get another good signal which was sharp but had a hint of iron to it and out pops another object which again looks to have some age , quite decorative but with a chunk of iron through the centre . I have no idea but looks possibly to be maybe a brooch or buckle with an iron pin ?
20211012_161744[7981]brooch.jpg
A bite to eat and a swig of tea from the flask and sit and enjoy the scenery . Hares in amongst the stubble field opposite alongside three Deer and above me flew three large flocks of Fieldfares , once they arrive winter isnt too far away . Below the fieldfare flock were four Rooks chasing down what I thought was a Sparrowhawk at first until it flew down and low almost skimming the tops of sheared stubble and then I could see it was a Kestrel with its red brick back and dark brown primary feathers . It was a frustrated flight , eager to lose the marauding Rooks as they gained pace but the the little Falcon was more agile and soon made headway and disappeared beyond the hedge line and out of harms way . All good stuff and I still had a couple more hours of daylight left so it was time to get on with it .
Not much happened for a while other than a few buttons etc then a real decent two way signal , loud and sharp and nice palm sized piece of circular lead popped out of the soft sandy soil . There is some decoration to it but quite feint but its a healthy lump of lead which served some purpose once upon a time . A hole pierced through indicates that is hung from something .
Weight is 4 oz and is 46 mm in diameter and 5 mm thick .
20211012_204719_resized[7975]lead1.jpg
Once again and all too soon the light begins to fade and it is time to leave . Quite an enjoyable afternoon with some interesting finds .
20211012_191455_resized_1[7952]finds cleaned.jpg
Easylife

A good result there. It looks a great coin. The 'digger tooth' is likely a leg of a cauldron or something. The lead item looks very interesting. :thumbsup:
Blackadder43

Looks like the classic love token s shape there on the hammered coin?

The brooch/buckle, has it cleaned up any better fella?

That does look interesting as to what it is :thumbsup:
I am not known for my ID skills, but i make a cracking brew :thumbsup:
Kenleyboy

Blackadder43 wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:58 am
Looks like the classic love token s shape there on the hammered coin?

The brooch/buckle, has it cleaned up any better fella?

That does look interesting as to what it is :thumbsup:
Fused up with iron but I am thinking maybe the end of a key . Will pop it up for an ID :thumbsup:
Oxgirl

Great finds! Nice portrait on the Lizzie and loving the lead item - I wonder if it was a pilgrim’s token?

That ring shaped item looks very old. Can’t help with an ID but hope someone else has some ideas :thumbsup:

Enjoyed the read.
chill…karma will fix it

Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
Easylife

The loop looks like half of a swivel. :thumbsup:
https://finds.org.uk/database/search/re ... ion/Swivel
Dave The Slave

Good descriptive write up again, Paul.
Good that you saw a kestrel, was only talking on Monday they could be in decline as have not seen one for ages inland.
Do get them above the cliffs along the Bournemouth seafront. Was lucky enough to see a pair of Red Kites on Monday, a bird i have not seen before.
That`s not a bad portrait on the Lizzie.
The button with a Crown, does that only have the R on it ? Have seen numbered buttons but not one with a single letter, just wondering if Military or just a random design.
Cheers, :thumbsup:
Dave.
Kenleyboy

Dave The Slave wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:43 pm
Good descriptive write up again, Paul.
Good that you saw a kestrel, was only talking on Monday they could be in decline as have not seen one for ages inland.
Do get them above the cliffs along the Bournemouth seafront. Was lucky enough to see a pair of Red Kites on Monday, a bird i have not seen before.
That`s not a bad portrait on the Lizzie.
The button with a Crown, does that only have the R on it ? Have seen numbered buttons but not one with a single letter, just wondering if Military or just a random design.
Cheers, :thumbsup:
Dave.
I dont see many Kestrels as I used to so perhaps they are in decline which would be a great shame , my favourite Falcon . We have a pair that nest nearby to us and we sometimes get them sitting on telegraph pole right outside our house .
Kites seem to be a bit more prolific up here these last few years . Plenty appear up near Norwich and they seem to be moving across the county and we do get them locally .
The button does have an R on the face with a crown above . My first thoughts were military but again you could be right that its a random design .