A roman Sunday.

mattjb

Haven’t managed to get out for around 6 weeks due to knee issues and family and fishing holidays and other things.
Yesterday me and chief pinpointer operator (ten year old daughter Holly) went to a permission a friend and I got earlier this year but have found virtually nothing on in the 5 or so visits previously.Even a field with so say roman occupation on produced nothing but 16 buttons and a couple of blank Georgians on a half day session.
We had found a few flint scrapers and it’s on the edge of a village of some age so I thought there must be something on some of the fields surely?
First field we had a quick scoot round produced just one Georgian copper and modern scrap so next to try was field that bordered the so called roman field.
Halfway up the side I dug a signal and the pin point operator snatched away the clod and broke it open with her back to me. “It’s a roman coin dad”
“Shut up “ I say sarcastically.
She is a wind up merchant to be fair !
This time it was though!
Another turned up about 8ft away and we found 16 in total in an area about 40yrd square.
Most were in poor condition but a few had some detail and the best couple seem to be Constantine 1 and 2. A few of the poorer ones also have the two soldiers with 2 standards.
I’ve never been on a roman site before and have only found odd roman coins and brooch fragments on my other permissions. Is it normal to find them in tight areas like that? There were on a few bits of pottery and a couple of possible tile fragments but I thought there would be more on a habitation site.There was definitely more noise from iron in that area.
A few more Georgian coppers and a couple of those round ,drilled weights came up away from the roman patch
Anyway it was great to be out and good to find something on that permission at last!
Attachments
D0B41C3B-590A-4DF1-85FF-8CA80F226D43.jpeg
D3A3118F-29CF-4874-964B-81A37BE39B3D.jpeg
CBEA6EC2-1D99-4F4D-AFB6-48404406A5AE.jpeg
CE8ED3C6-B278-452F-9990-13F8BDD7536A.jpeg
HolzHammer

well done! They do tend to congregate, do Roman coins (someone will probably tell you why!) Definitely concentrate on the immediate area but don't neglect the rest...
mattjb

HolzHammer wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:38 pm
well done! They do tend to congregate, do Roman coins (someone will probably tell you why!) Definitely concentrate on the immediate area but don't neglect the rest...
Cheers . I was on the phone at one point and pin point operator went awol, grabbed the deus lite and set off half swinging half dragging. I had the headphones on still and was surprised to hear a signal. “Stop,stay still “ I yelled in mid phonecall. She’d only gone and managed to find a Roman of her own!
Easylife

Well done, a great unexpected result with no doubt more Roman finds to come from that area. :thumbsup:
Good things come to those who wait.
BuriedByTime&Dust

mattjb wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:29 pm
I’ve never been on a roman site before and have only found odd roman coins and brooch fragments on my other permissions. Is it normal to find them in tight areas like that?
It certainly can be. My local farm permission has a field very much like that. The main concentration of roman finds are in an area of 5 or 6 acres in a field of about 30 acres. Step outside that small area and your chances of anything roman are slim. Surrounding fields have produced the odd roman coin or artefact, but they're always just random single finds.
HolzHammer

BuriedByTime&Dust wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:59 pm
It certainly can be. My local farm permission has a field very much like that. The main concentration of roman finds are in an area of 5 or 6 acres in a field of about 30 acres. Step outside that small area and your chances of anything roman are slim. Surrounding fields have produced the odd roman coin or artefact, but they're always just random single finds.
I have the exact experience....
HolzHammer

mattjb wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:52 pm
Cheers . I was on the phone at one point and pin point operator went awol, grabbed the deus lite and set off half swinging half dragging. I had the headphones on still and was surprised to hear a signal. “Stop,stay still “ I yelled in mid phonecall. She’d only gone and managed to find a Roman of her own!
Brilliant! Well done her!
mattjb

She had another go with the stem adjusted to her height but with the 11” coil it was still a bit unwieldy for her and she tired quickly but still managed a Georgian copper.
mattjb

HolzHammer wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:24 pm
Brilliant! Well done her!
I was using the lite in hot with just reactivity adjusted to 2.5 and sens 97. If I went over the same area I gridded again what adjustments would you make? Up reactivity and frequency?
JohnDeus

Well done on your finds :thumbsup: these Roman coins come along like buses once you have found the right area :thumbsup:
figgis

Great day you had there, and glad the PPO found one of her own - must have been a thrill for her :thumbsup:
BuriedByTime&Dust wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:59 pm
The main concentration of roman finds are in an area of 5 or 6 acres in a field of about 30 acres. Step outside that small area and your chances of anything roman are slim. Surrounding fields have produced the odd roman coin or artefact, but they're always just random single finds.
Yep, same here, though the area is smaller at about 2 acres and there are two hotspots within that for coins and the artefacts are more evenly spread.
mattjb

figgis wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:37 am
Great day you had there, and glad the PPO found one of her own - must have been a thrill for her :thumbsup:

Yep, same here, though the area is smaller at about 2 acres and there are two hotspots within that for coins and the artefacts are more evenly spread.
Cheers,
Yep she enjoyed it,everything she pinpoints is hers because she “found” it apparently!
After about 10 Romans she said “it’s getting a bit samey dad” and I know what she means, I guess if they were in better condition it might be different as there would be a bit more variety in them then.
Hopefully there will be a brooch or two or other artefacts there somewhere and still around half a dozen fields we’ve yet to try on that permission.
Oxgirl

You two had fun! I’m with your daughter on the Roman coins though - getting grotty bits of copper is bitter sweet. You spend ages finding them and then have the disappointment of the condition. I now avoid them where possible although they still turn up despite not trying :lol:

I too have a Roman coin hotspot - I now avoid it :lol: Nothing Roman on the rest of the field! I think, because the spread was in a narrow, long strip, that my hotspot was a path. The 16 I found there one weekend was good target practice for the new HF coil I’d just bought, so they had their uses. Plus the one sestertius was worth finding.

On settings you are probably on the best ones👍🏼Do consider a HF coil on that site too. Both the smaller size and improved stability on iron infested areas really does help. As an added extra the light weight coil will be better for your daughter if she wants a go too. Remember grots can register high on the Deus so any high toned irony signals are worth investigating as well. Sure you’ve noticed that now though!

Keep going, you might find some Roman artefacts in the wider area. I didn’t (I’m ignoring a grotty bit of a fibula) but other people seem to be luckier.
chill…karma will fix it

Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
mattjb

Oxgirl wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:01 am
You two had fun! I’m with your daughter on the Roman coins though - getting grotty bits of copper is bitter sweet. You spend ages finding them and then have the disappointment of the condition. I now avoid them where possible although they still turn up despite not trying :lol:

I too have a Roman coin hotspot - I now avoid it :lol: Nothing Roman on the rest of the field! I think, because the spread was in a narrow, long strip, that my hotspot was a path. The 16 I found there one weekend was good target practice for the new HF coil I’d just bought, so they had their uses. Plus the one sestertius was worth finding.

On settings you are probably on the best ones👍🏼Do consider a HF coil on that site too. Both the smaller size and improved stability on iron infested areas really does help. As an added extra the light weight coil will be better for your daughter if she wants a go too. Remember grots can register high on the Deus so any high toned irony signals are worth investigating as well. Sure you’ve noticed that now though!

Keep going, you might find some Roman artefacts in the wider area. I didn’t (I’m ignoring a grotty bit of a fibula) but other people seem to be luckier.
Like you Cath I much rather be finding medieval bits and pieces but it was interesting having never been on a roman site before.
Some of the small grots were pretty low toned, could have easily missed them in amongst the iron.
I’ve thought about getting a 9” hf coil and may well do so when funds allow, maybe they might drop a bit in price once the deus 2 has been out for a while?
BuriedByTime&Dust

Oxgirl wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:01 am

Or possibly a ploughed out hoard?