A roman Sunday.

Oxgirl

BuriedByTime&Dust wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:21 am
Or possibly a ploughed out hoard?
I can see why you suggest that but they were way too spread out for it to have been a plough spread.

It was on a very long strip that took a good 5 minutes brisk walk from the start (by a copse of woods) to the bit where they ended. Interestingly they stopped just by an opening to the next field where a public footpath goes through. I bet they continue there, but that bit is not on my permission. The rest of the 10 acre field I’ve found nothing Roman except the brooch fragment.
chill…karma will fix it

Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
BuriedByTime&Dust

Oxgirl wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:46 pm
I can see why you suggest that but they were way too spread out for it to have been a plough spread.

It was on a very long strip that took a good 5 minutes brisk walk from the start (by a copse of woods) to the bit where they ended. Interestingly they stopped just by an opening to the next field where a public footpath goes through. I bet they continue there, but that bit is not on my permission. The rest of the 10 acre field I’ve found nothing Roman except the brooch fragment.
Similar situation here. I have access to 300 acres (albeit only between harvest and drilling) but the roman stuff all comes from the south west corner of one of the fields and the adjacent fields to the south and west belong to the neighbouring farm. I might be able to get permission on those in due course with a reference from the landowner of my current permission, but I've got lots more to do on his land before I even think about looking for more.

Whilst it's mainly coins in that corner, it has produced a little conical livestock bell, half a dozen brooches (fib, disc and round) and my favourite artefact from there so far, this lovely bronze key.
Attachments
finds061121.jpg
figgis

BuriedByTime&Dust wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:04 pm
my favourite artefact from there so far, this lovely bronze key.
That's a lovely escutcheon :thumbsup: The pin head looks Saxon?
BuriedByTime&Dust

figgis wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:26 pm
That's a lovely escutcheon :thumbsup: The pin head looks Saxon?
I hope it is! With all that Roman stuff there, I'm always praying for something (anything!) Saxon to turn up.

The field won't be drilled until March, so there's still plenty of time to fully explore it, which I haven't had the chance to do before. Normally it would be drilled with wheat by now, but it'll be sugar beet next year.
figgis

The pin is Saxon for me, courtesy of the collar :thumbsup:
BuriedByTime&Dust wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:36 pm
The field won't be drilled until March, so there's still plenty of time to fully explore it, which I haven't had the chance to do before.
Blimey, loads of time to fill yer boots! Looking forward to seeing what else turns up :thumbsup:
Metalurgy

Nice finds,especially that escutcheon 👍
“Seek and you will find”,well probably…..