Lovely Gold Ring

Pete E

Still a bit shaken as I write this….It was my rota day off today so I thought I would grab a couple of hours detecting before heading out to do other stuff this afternoon.

It’s pretty wet and miserable here and I nearly did not go, but I am glad I did!

Most of the outing turned up rubbish, then I had a really strong 23 signal on the Nox that blew my ears off..”drinks can” I thought but decided to dig it any way…You could have knocked me down with a feather when the ring below came up…

It’s in very good condition really, just needs a polish to get it looking good again.

I am not sure of the date, but suspect it’s 1700’s. It has no hallmarks just the inscription shown…I have already emailed my FLO as a possible Treasure case…
Attachments
D32679E0-1FEB-4A41-B741-72361FBAB924.jpeg
6BB5DFB9-6269-4AB3-B81B-6936013C5CA1.jpeg
FEA2BC44-22E9-4892-9BCF-8E9C473397BD.jpeg
shaggybfc

:shock: Beautiful :clapping: :clapping:
Hopefully the FLO will come back and say it's not treasure..... but I suspect with that engraving, it could well be. It will probably be disclaimed, if you're lucky.
Always carefully proof-read what you've typed to see if you've any words out.
Deus with 11" X35 and 9" HF coils. MI 6 pinpointer.
Dave The Slave

Very nice, well found.
Cheers, :thumbsup:
Dave.
Metalurgy

That’s special👍👍
“Seek and you will find”,well probably…..
Easylife

A man's wedding band, a super find. :thumbsup:
Casual losses are just that and can be absolutely anywhere, and are!
Good things come to those who wait.
shaggybfc

That could be a C17 with Gothic Script..

I found this page when I was looking for detail on a ring I found recently. Not sure f you've seen it. - https://www.tsbrown.com/pages/the-histo ... oesy-rings
Last edited by shaggybfc on Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Always carefully proof-read what you've typed to see if you've any words out.
Deus with 11" X35 and 9" HF coils. MI 6 pinpointer.
Littleboot

Wow what a lovely thing to pop up. I bet you were shaking and the old ticker skipped a few beats. :clapping:
Anything with an inscription is a super find because of the personal connection, but an inscribed gold item is the top banana.
I agree with Shaggy...I think it is earlier than 18th century and would plump for a 17th century date.
I can't help speculating about it's loss. We know that rings can slip off due to cold and so forth...but then part of me thinks that gloves were worn a lot more back then. We also know that some rings are lost because of them being discarded. either in the heat of a row (several examples of this scenario have called on the services of detectorists after the red mist has cleared lol) or after a more permanent split.

I would have a beverage of substance and enjoy looking at it in the glow of the fire.
In a desperate attempt to remain relevant in today’s market, COVID unveiled it’s new Omicron update ahead of the holiday season. While this latest offering boasts several new features, consumers have adapted a ‘wait and see’ attitude this year.
Reiver

Nice find Pete :clapping:
Hope its disclaimed as Treasure.
Well found and well saved. :thumbsup:
Pete E

Thanks everybody for the kind words!
And yes I am still a bit dumb struck at finding it…From the response from my FLO it looks like it ma well be pre 1700 and as such falls under the Treasure Act…I hope it will be eventually disclaimed, but I have a feeling not….

Out and about picking up Grandsons bike ready for Xmas, but will reply further a bit later when home…
Gleaner

That`s a stunner :o Well found Pete :clapping: and may i say although sometimes rings with inscriptions can be a little awkward to photograph those photo`s are the bee`s knees, well done :thumbsup:
Oxgirl

Superb ring! Congratulations on a beauty :Party:

P.S. agree on the 17th century date. There are a few with that script on PAS and all dated mid sixteenth to the latest seventeenth century.
chill…karma will fix it

Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
BuriedByTime&Dust

Lovely find and in great condition too! :thumbsup:
Pete E

Oxgirl wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:38 pm
Superb ring! Congratulations on a beauty :Party:

P.S. agree on the 17th century date. There are a few with that script on PAS and all dated mid sixteenth to the latest seventeenth century.
I have done a little research online and it seems that particular phrase with that spelling has been discovered in a jewellers manuscript dating to the very late 1500's..Add the letter style and it does look like it will be dated sometime in the 1600's...I would like to push into the 1700's for obvious reasons but I am not holding my breath...
Roughwood

Beautiful find Pete.
Have you found much of interest in that particular location before?
:thumbsup:
Makro Multikruzer
Nokta pinpointer
Pete E

Roughwood wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:21 pm
Beautiful find Pete.
Have you found much of interest in that particular location before?
:thumbsup:
Funnily enough, in the past I had nicknamed that field, "The Field Of Despair" because nothing much ever came off it, not even pre decimal coppers to any degree. The farm is almost hill grazing and as a whole has produced a few hammered, but it takes a lot of searching to get one every six months or so...the other fields next to this produce a lot of George and Victoria coppers and a smattering of silvers of the same age, and I can not understand why this field does not..it just goes to show even an "unproductive" field can contain a nice surprise....