Always check your scrap pile 👍

Doug_little

Yo all!

Hope u’r all doing ok? Was going to dispose of my ever increasing crate of waste metal crap, more cans than in a Coca Cola factory, when I found this in a clumpy clod. ………Team, need your help with any info on the following. Has anyone found anything similar ? Small Star of David pendant, not silver, unknown metal, can just make out “ trust in the name of the Lord ?.”. Not sure on age but been in the ground for some time.

Happy digging !

Doug
F1D554CF-B23D-49E1-99F4-BA0168C837F9.jpeg
08465765-6A3B-483C-B252-CD044A8D7E8C.jpeg
Blackadder43

The metal may be Pewter?
I remember a pendant given to me when i was a nipper and that was pewter

I wonder if doing a paper rubbing of the item would show any more detail, like we used to do in school with some paper and a pencil to rub over and see what comes through :ugeek:
Jamesey1981

That's likely to be quite old, the legend is Christian, but Christians haven't used the Magen David as a common symbol for a good while, obviously the Hebrew Torah is basically the old testament, and any religious symbols from that will also apply to Christianity as well as Judaism, but Christians today tend to use symbols from the new testament now, the crucifix being the obvious one.

I think Christians stopped using it so much around the victorian period, this was around the time Muslims stopped using it much as well, you'll see it on some old Arabic coins as the Seal of Solomon, and you'll also see it on some cathedrals. There are obviously exceptions, the star on top of a Christmas tree can sometimes have six points for example.

Those three religions are much more closely related than a lot of people would like to admit!

It's pretty much only Jews that use it now, after the Nazis used it to force Jews to identify themselves part of it is about remembrance, and I used to wear one myself, even though I'm not religious at all. I also have my grandmother's yellow star, she was a German Jew that managed to avoid the fate that befell her parents and all but one sister, their father managed to hide her and her sister when the nazis came for the family.

She decided that it was safer to convert to Catholicism and marry an Irishman (not really sure it was that much safer at that time!) after she made it to Britain on a boat organised by the French resistance, but she still made a cracking chicken and matzo ball soup, that's a recipe that was passed down to me and I have passed it on to younger members of the family, even though I myself don't have any children that recipe has been passed down for generations, I don't want it to stop with me.
That is not dead which can eternal lie,
And with strange aeons even death may die.

I'm a Mortgage Broker, please visit my website for help with your mortgage:
https://denariusmortgages.co.uk/
Doug_little

Thanks jamesey you are a star !! I’ve submitted it to the FLO, will update you all in due course :thumbsup:
Jamesey1981

Doug_little wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:18 pm Thanks jamesey you are a star !! I’ve submitted it to the FLO, will update you all in due course :thumbsup:
No worries, looking at it I would say victorian but could easily be wrong, let us know what you find out.

As an aside, if you or anyone else wants the chicken and kneydlekh soup recipe then send me a message. :)
That is not dead which can eternal lie,
And with strange aeons even death may die.

I'm a Mortgage Broker, please visit my website for help with your mortgage:
https://denariusmortgages.co.uk/
Saffron

Jamesey1981 wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:39 pm That's likely to be quite old, the legend is Christian, but Christians haven't used the Magen David as a common symbol for a good while, obviously the Hebrew Torah is basically the old testament, and any religious symbols from that will also apply to Christianity as well as Judaism, but Christians today tend to use symbols from the new testament now, the crucifix being the obvious one.

I think Christians stopped using it so much around the victorian period, this was around the time Muslims stopped using it much as well, you'll see it on some old Arabic coins as the Seal of Solomon, and you'll also see it on some cathedrals. There are obviously exceptions, the star on top of a Christmas tree can sometimes have six points for example.

Those three religions are much more closely related than a lot of people would like to admit!

It's pretty much only Jews that use it now, after the Nazis used it to force Jews to identify themselves part of it is about remembrance, and I used to wear one myself, even though I'm not religious at all. I also have my grandmother's yellow star, she was a German Jew that managed to avoid the fate that befell her parents and all but one sister, their father managed to hide her and her sister when the nazis came for the family.

She decided that it was safer to convert to Catholicism and marry an Irishman (not really sure it was that much safer at that time!) after she made it to Britain on a boat organised by the French resistance, but she still made a cracking chicken and matzo ball soup, that's a recipe that was passed down to me and I have passed it on to younger members of the family, even though I myself don't have any children that recipe has been passed down for generations, I don't want it to stop with me.
Fantastic background there Jamesey.

As you say "Those three religions (Christian, Muslim, Jew) are much more closely related than a lot of people would like to admit!" which makes the fact they keep trying to kill each other even worse.

As for the subject "Always check your scrap pile" that is great advice, as an example what looks like a "random lead blob" in the field can turn in to a genuine find when cleaned.

Evan