New: Silver brush

figgis

Hordfindend wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 9:08 pm It's like that posh Cannon and Ball paint. Chuck some plaster in it, call it a daft name like 'intoxicated snail', and charge £80 a tin.
Don't start me off :twisted:

Always interested to hear of new cleaning tools so will be interested to hear how this turns out :thumbsup:
Pete E

I found this example of cleaning a silver Denarius on an American coin collecting forum...apparently you can get brushes with silver bristles especially for cleaning silver coins. In this case, the results were remarkable, to me anyway...

https://www.coincommunity.com/forum/top ... _ID=188649
Hordfindend

Pete E wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 10:14 pm I found this example of cleaning a silver Denarius on an American coin collecting forum...apparently you can get brushes with silver bristles especially for cleaning silver coins. In this case, the results were remarkable, to me anyway...

https://www.coincommunity.com/forum/top ... _ID=188649
That would be pretty easy to make, get some 0.5mm silver wire, bundle it up and put in one of those mechanical pencils.
Charles Abbeyville

Hi Pete. I had a look at your link. I tantalisingly moves us foreword but not by much unless I missed something?
Pete E

Charles Abbeyville wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 7:37 am Hi Pete. I had a look at your link. I tantalisingly moves us foreword but not by much unless I missed something?
Hi Charles,

I know you are looking for a horse hair brush, but I thought the reference to a silver bristle brush was interesting especially given the results shown, and might be something else to look out for on your quest!

Regards,

Peter
Charles Abbeyville

Hi again Peter.

No, I'm not looking for a horse hair brush, I don't know what it's made of but bit by bit we will get the answer I'm sure.
Hordfindend

I've just ordered some 0.4mm sterling silver wire.

I'll update when I've received it and made it into a silver wire brush.

Does anyone have a spare Harald Harefoots penny they want to donate me to practice on? 😑
Easylife

Hordfindend wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 11:36 am I've just ordered some 0.4mm sterling silver wire.

I'll update when I've received it and made it into a silver wire brush.
I now have an image of a hair transplant into epoxy! :lol:
I look forward to seeing the finished brush and results. :thumbsup:
Good things come to those who wait.
Oxgirl

I have no idea what you are all talking about but sure it’ll eventually become clear 8-)
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
Charles Abbeyville

I feel I should update/clarify this brush thing. It certainly does exist, my detecting mate called to see a coin dealer 6 plus months ago and was shown the brush and how well it worked. The dealer said he would send him details on where to buy these brushes which apparently was on the continent but in spite of some prompting, that information was never given.

My mate happened to be in another dealer's shop last week and saw the same brush, it was being used on coins but still, a closely guarded secret. However, while there the dealer let my mate try the brush on one of his own 17th century trader's tokens. He only did half a side of the coin and the result was all anyone could hope for regarding copper/bronze coins.
I have scoured the internet without success.
so; over to you guys n gals :thumbsup:
alloverover

Charles Abbeyville wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 1:28 pm I feel I should update/clarify this brush thing. It certainly does exist, my detecting mate called to see a coin dealer 6 plus months ago and was shown the brush and how well it worked. The dealer said he would send him details on where to buy these brushes which apparently was on the continent but in spite of some prompting, that information was never given.

My mate happened to be in another dealer's shop last week and saw the same brush, it was being used on coins but still, a closely guarded secret. However, while there the dealer let my mate try the brush on one of his own 17th century trader's tokens. He only did half a side of the coin and the result was all anyone could hope for regarding copper/bronze coins.
I have scoured the internet without success.
so; over to you guys n gals :thumbsup:
The composite cleaning pens are very good on 17th century traders tokens/Rose farthings etc :thumbsup:
alloverover

alloverover wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 5:57 pm The composite cleaning pens are very good on 17th century traders tokens/Rose farthings etc :thumbsup:
Attachments
IMG-20210206-WA0011.jpg
IMG-20210206-WA0012.jpg
IMG-20210206-WA0014.jpg
Charles Abbeyville

I don't know what a composite pen is but the genuine silver brush, (when I I can find one) are absolutely brilliant on silver, maybe too 'brilliant'. I am amazed no one on here knows about them. We will soon I am sure :thumbsup: