A bit of blue on a grey day

Kenleyboy

I do love my blue glass and some very rare blue glass bottles can fetch four figures but these are the holy grail of bottle digging , bit like digging up a decent hoard and fortunes smiles on just the lucky few . Some rare blue bottles still do get dug even though a lot of the early tips had been ransacked in the past and the best were found long ago . Only recently a lucky digger unearthed a couple of extremely rare blue submarine poison bottles , these are shaped like their namesake and these are beautiful pieces and despite them being damaged , it is still a rare find and fetch a very tidy sum .
My digging is rather more humble and I am happy about that and I have had my fair share of decent finds with a few rare ones here and there but it isn't everyday you dig a bottle that fetches a high price and the last thing you want to be doing is setting your sites too high because you will be extremely disappointed if you get stuck in that mindset .
One of my old digging mates came over today for a cuppa and a chat , we hadn't seen each other since the start of the lockdown and we had some unfinished business to attend to , a couple of long drawn out trade offs .Swapping bottles and passing on what you don't want and receiving what you really like is a lighter side of the hobby , no digging holes required , it couldn't be easier . In general I prefer to dig my own bottles but in a few cases it is impossible , the stuff you like just isn't there or if it is I may well be long gone before I find it .
In some cases it just makes sense to swap and enjoy what you can have . I know some collectors who have never dug a bottle in their lives and thats fine and probably more sensible , less energy required but it does cost them a tidy packet . My enjoyment is the hunt and there is nothing quite like finding something you have been after and eventually after all the toil and sweat you finally reach you goal , it is a gratifying sense of achievement , that is probably why I like my metal detecting so much on equal measure .
There was no arm wrestling , we both knew what we wanted and the deal was done . I was very happy with the blue bottle which is an early three piece mould , I was with him when he dug that bottle out and secretly wished it was me that had found it but still happy for him all the same .
The four ink bottles are right up my street , being art related and will now join the rows of the other similar ink bottles which all hold good memories of past digs and wet and dry days out shifting soil . It is a mad old hobby but I love it and with todays meet up that too will be another good memory of sitting round the table , chatting and catching up on old times over a cup of Tea . Great days indeed :thumbsup:
Blue inks .jpg
Easylife

Now those would look good anywhere. :thumbsup:
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
Oxgirl

Very pretty bottles :Star:
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
figgis

It's never occurred to me that old bottles could be worth four figures. Beautiful colour :thumbsup:
Dave The Slave

As you say, good when you can swap and not lay out any cash.
Also when looking over your acquisitions, you also have a little bit of the background story to their discovery.
Good all round situation.
Cheers, :thumbsup:
Dave.
Littleboot

They are absolutely gorgeous Paul. I know what you mean about there being something special about digging your own/ finding your own. i look at my finds and remember the whole experience. However, it is also great to co-operate and it reminds me of days at school long ago when we would take our 'swaps' of various cards and stickers. great fun.
Over here in France there are innumerable old hamlets and farmsteads that have now been abandoned or scaled back. I have two bottle dumps in my own meadow and I know of three more in the wood just beyond (which belonged to a large farmhouse where I have found good stuff. I must make the effort to excavate them a tad....I have plans for it this winter. We will see how it goes....I don't intend to go deep. Too lazy and too scared. :lol:
I have great admiration for your exploits...it is like gold mining. Lots of much has to be shifted for the nuggets. I love reading your adventures. It adds another dimension to the forum and is a perfect foil for all the metal bits. :clapping:
Live long and prosper.
Kenleyboy

Littleboot wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:20 pm They are absolutely gorgeous Paul. I know what you mean about there being something special about digging your own/ finding your own. i look at my finds and remember the whole experience. However, it is also great to co-operate and it reminds me of days at school long ago when we would take our 'swaps' of various cards and stickers. great fun.
Over here in France there are innumerable old hamlets and farmsteads that have now been abandoned or scaled back. I have two bottle dumps in my own meadow and I know of three more in the wood just beyond (which belonged to a large farmhouse where I have found good stuff. I must make the effort to excavate them a tad....I have plans for it this winter. We will see how it goes....I don't intend to go deep. Too lazy and too scared. :lol:
I have great admiration for your exploits...it is like gold mining. Lots of much has to be shifted for the nuggets. I love reading your adventures. It adds another dimension to the forum and is a perfect foil for all the metal bits. :clapping:
It would be interesting to read some of your bottle digging escapades and it sounds exciting knowing you have some bottle dumps close to home . Woodland ones will generally be shallow or even have bottles just on the surface so eyes only picking if you can't be asked to dig .
Farmhouses are always interesting , could be some early sealed wines or the yearned for onion bottles , either way have fun . :thumbsup:
samuraitrev

Hi Kenley boy,
My dad was a keen bottle digger back in the 80's. I remember going with him as a kid and he only used to take the perfect bottles. The rest he would bury again! He used to dig for a living so on the ash tips he would just disappear as I watched :lol: He's still got several 100 of them displayed (including loads of medicine bottles) and the next time I'm at his house, I will take a photo of his display and send it to you. His favourites were always the ginger beer bottles. I always liked the marble bottles as a kid.

Thanks for sharing and prompted some great memories :D
stanslad

Lovely bottles Paul,
There's something special about blue glass was always a thrill to find, I remember in the early 1970s digging with Dad at an Oxford tip when he found a blue coffin poison & I dug a blue cottage ink, he sold it for hundreds to in his words "feed & clothe the kids for another school term",
the old chap used to work with explosives drilling & blasting in the local quarries close to Bicester when the diggers uncovered a tip that was used by North & Randall Aylesbury when they dumped the cork stopper ginger beer bottles from the Bicester brewery they owned (formerly Eclipse Brewery I think? ) over 2000 ginger beers he bought home over the weeks, of which around 800 were the blue top type, he used to sell a few every week & at the Oxfordshire & Buckinghamshire bottle shows every year.
those were the days..
Clint :thumbsup:
Kenleyboy

samuraitrev wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:59 pm Hi Kenley boy,
My dad was a keen bottle digger back in the 80's. I remember going with him as a kid and he only used to take the perfect bottles. The rest he would bury again! He used to dig for a living so on the ash tips he would just disappear as I watched :lol: He's still got several 100 of them displayed (including loads of medicine bottles) and the next time I'm at his house, I will take a photo of his display and send it to you. His favourites were always the ginger beer bottles. I always liked the marble bottles as a kid.

Thanks for sharing and prompted some great memories :D
Brilliant stuff , your old Pops dug back in the day when you could earn a living as a full time digger .One of my digging buddies used to dig full time . Would love to see some photos :thumbsup:
Kenleyboy

stanslad wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:18 pm Lovely bottles Paul,
There's something special about blue glass was always a thrill to find, I remember in the early 1970s digging with Dad at an Oxford tip when he found a blue coffin poison & I dug a blue cottage ink, he sold it for hundreds to in his words "feed & clothe the kids for another school term",
the old chap used to work with explosives drilling & blasting in the local quarries close to Bicester when the diggers uncovered a tip that was used by North & Randall Aylesbury when they dumped the cork stopper ginger beer bottles from the Bicester brewery they owned (formerly Eclipse Brewery I think? ) over 2000 ginger beers he bought home over the weeks, of which around 800 were the blue top type, he used to sell a few every week & at the Oxfordshire & Buckinghamshire bottle shows every year.
those were the days..
Clint :thumbsup:
Cant beat a bit of blue poking out the wall , something about that colour against the cruddy back drop , gets me all the time . The blue tops still fetch a fair price , I have one here in nice condition .
Great memories and thanks for sharing :thumbsup: