From BC to 1929

Steve_JT

Had a very good day on Sunday, the rape field had been drilled with winter wheat and rolled, the recent rain has soaked in and made the ground damp throughout and firm, perfect conditions that has certainly made the targets sing out. The weather was pleasant in the sun and still air

Someone else has been out in the field going by the fresh dig marks, I know there is a friend of the owner who dabbles in a bit of detecting so is likely him, went between some of the old holes and found a roman and then a belt mount so he’s not been too thorough

None the less had a very productive day, instead of my normal routine of up and down in lines I thought I would freestyle over the field to see what would come up and where to plan the attack for next visit, turns out for the day a good choice, quite an age range, from bronze age to 1929

Had a varied mix of several musket / pistol lead shot, two bullets, quite a few buttons, a larger chunk of lead with two holes that looks like it’s a quarter of half a round object and a couple of old harness rivets, a mixture of “also ran” objects, luckily not a lot of real hedge fodder, just a few 12 bore shells and some bits of lead and part of a horse shoe

And now the good stuff

A solid piece of lead cast in a thimble, not sure if this is just a weight cast in a thimble, to keep a thimble in shape or to form a thimble??
A round button, a belt mount, buckle, a lead piece with flower design on the rear and SD on the front, part of a bronze age axe or chisel, second row some poor condition roman coins
Harness pendant, George V sixpence 1929, possible farthing, copper disc George III Halfpenny, George V penny 1918, two clog clasps, two livery buttons, and a blob of white metal, need to find out what it is, not lead or silver but possible pewter?

Regards Steve
A foolish faith in authority, is the worst enemy of truth." Albert Einstein
Easylife

A great return there Steve, I'd be pretty satisfied with that. I think just one livery button though?
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
Paint

That’s a great session you had there Steve lots of signals and some really nice finds well done :thumbsup:
Oxgirl

Wow that’s a mixed site! I’d have been over the moon with either the axe tip or the shield pendant. The rest ain’t bad either :D

Nice write up, thanks Steve :thumbsup:
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
Dave The Slave

Good day out, Steve.
Like the way you have grouped your finds.
Button photo, 1st item 2nd row looks like the design on a £2 coin, unless it is a coin.
Plenty of interesting items in the last photo.
Thanks for sharing, :thumbsup:
Dave.
Steve_JT

Dave The Slave wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:16 pm Good day out, Steve.
Button photo, 1st item 2nd row looks like the design on a £2 coin, unless it is a coin.
Dave.
Its a button, turned it face up as it was the only one with as design, does look like a £2 coin

Cheers Steve
wittsy1

Blimey that's some digging and with some very good results
Steve_JT

Got some better pictures of some of the more interesting items
Here’s the Axe or chisel, likely an axe I suspect

The pendant

The Thimble shaped lead, formed in a thimble but for what purpose, a lead weight, keep a thimble in shape or a former?

Regards Steve
samuraitrev

A great collection of finds. I especially like the pendant. It seems a really interesting site where anything might turn up.

Good luck on your next hunt :thumbsup:
Blackadder43

An impressive selection of buttons there Steve! :thumbsup:
And some nice finds to go with them....a good day indeed fella
Fresh air and some digging of history is always a good sunday, well that and a corking roast dinner too
figgis

A great day you had there, Steve, and a bit of BA makes any day special :thumbsup:
Blackadder43 wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:47 pm Fresh air and some digging of history is always a good sunday, well that and a corking roast dinner too
Think you're forgetting the most important ingredient there, old chap. Hint: it starts with "G" :thumbsup:
Reiver

Now that's what I call a great haul , plenty of signals, plenty of really interesting finds, well done, well saved. :clapping: