Scrap Metal

Saffron

I think this just about qualifies as "Detecting Chat".

I am signed up for various alerts from the Gloucestershire police and just had this one regarding the National Rural Crime Week -

During rural crime week we will be working with partner agencies and patrolling farmland, fisheries, historical sites and checking scrap metal dealer yards.

This is to support the PCC's police and crime plan 2020 - 2022 - A green and pleasant county.

Reports of hare coursing are on the rise where fields have now been ploughed and we have been speaking with local fishing clubs and fisheries. Scrap dealers are working with us to stop the sale and purchase of scrap metal from unlicensed collections. All scrap metal now has to be from a licensed collector and can not be bought or sold for cash.

Does that bit "All scrap metal now has to be from a licensed collector" mean that we can not now take any of the items that we find to the scrap metal dealers?, I know a fair few that detect beaches have in the past taken all the lead to the scrap dealers and a few inland detectorists also take items to them.

If that is the case it means we have to bin it which seems a waste when it could be taken to the scrap yard, earn a few quid, and be recyled.

Evan

Edit: I am just asking the police this question!
Blackadder43

When i weigh my scrap in the money is paid directly into my bank account
I had to fill forms out a few years back now where i gave my address and bank details
This is to stop the:
"bring some scrap in and get paid untraceable cash"
With legit scrap dealers now there are no cash payments
I think you will find that "most" legit scrap dealers now operate in this way, even the rural ones, so it shouldnt be an issue Evan.

Edit:
We have local people here who come and collect your scrap from your house
I think the bit you are reading means that "those local collectors" must be licensed else the main scrap dealer is not allowed to accept the load
Steve_JT

I suspect if it is for commercial purposes for dealers only, they have to hold a waste licence to carry it and trade, I have just spoken to my local dealer as I know the chap and he has confirmed for people like us as we don't trade scrap for a living we are OK :thumbsup:

I'm registered with the local scrappy (they have my contact details from driving licence and car reg is taken) so every time I go they can pay into my bank which is a requirement so we can be traced if needed, as we are legit we have nothing to worry about with the small amounts we turn up with

Don't think we have anything to worry about :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Regards Steve
A foolish faith in authority, is the worst enemy of truth." Albert Einstein
Saffron

BA, Steve, very many thanks for that information - it makes perfect sense.

I know that it has been the case for several years that if you took stuff to a scrap merchant that they could not pay by cash and used cheques (I had assumed online now) and took all your details.

Having to have a license to commercially trade is scrap is sensible, but I did not read the item that way and took it to be from anybody.

Evan
Saffron

The police have got back to me already and confirmed what BA and Steve said, that as metal detectorists we are fine, its the people that do it commercially that need the licence.

You can take any scrap metal to a metal recycling centre but they should , by law, pay for it by cheque or by a bank transfer. You do not need a waste licence for the small amount of scrap you find.

I hope that clarifies the law on waste licences.

Evan