Gold in them fields

Kenleyboy

Back out on the fields again on a fine Autumnal afternoon and this time round I had a few extra hours to spare . I seem to be fighting against the clock and the days are beginning to get shorter so after a chat with the Farmer I reckoned I had a good four plus hours at my disposal .
The weather was warm and overcast with a spit of rain to dampen things down but all was not lost with a hint of blue sky and a little sunshine peeking through the gloom of grey to cheer things up a bit .
There was a hefty shoot going on in the adjoining fields , I could see the beaters waving their white flags and hollering setting the pheasant up and the guns cracked away and so with all that going on I decided to retreat to a corner field where I can escape the constant sound of the guns and enjoy the solitude of a far off field away from the madding crowd . I do like this little piece of the land , it is a small field perhaps no more than ten acres and I have had some nice bits and pieces out of it but you have to wade through the constant barrage of bits of tin foil . It can get a bit too much because they sound so good and it is frustrating but can pay dividends if you persevere which I did and it paid off .
I was using the hot programme and happily listening to the signals chirp away and then immediately stopped in my tracks when a higher pitch two way tone gave way for a dig but as suspected it was the dreaded clump of foil . No matter , thats the name of the game and I continued on my way , it was early days yet .
My plan was to just go back and forth across the width of the field and use my bag as a marker , what also helps are the footprints I leave behind , its amazing no matter how hard you try to maintain a straight line you soon waver off course and anyone would think I had downed a few sherbets before the off . Across my journey I spotted an almost complete pipe bowl laying in the mud , I have dug plenty fo them while bottle digging so its easy to spot them a mile off . This was an early one , 17th century and a first from this field where I tend to find stems elsewhere on the land . Onwards and best find to date was the pipe bowl and a pocketful of foil and a few buttons .
A good hour or so into it I was beginning to get a little frustrated , good signals were just bad foil and they were beginning to become a bit monotonous and I decided to give it a couple more sweeps back and forth then head off to another less foil strewn field . The foil seems to be in patches all over the land yet on this one field its everywhere but every now and again you can pick up good things depending on your mood and of you wish to put up with the letdowns , its times like this you yearn for a button !
The field is nice and enclosed as it is bordered by trees and hedges and one tree caught my eye as it leaned over from the border draping its branches over onto the edge of the field and I used this as my focal point and headed straight over , low and slow . Once there I would retrace my steps , pick my bag up and head off elsewhere as I really wasn't getting that feel good factor that I usually sense and the foil was becoming too much to bear .
I reached the other side with no interruptions other than the grunt of iron but just where soil met with the long strands of grass I hit a signal that sounded low but sweet , a little different to the higher pitch I usually get when its foil . I took a deep breath and sank the spade into the soft soil and turned it over . For a brief moment I just recall staring down in disbelief then a profanity and a fumble for my glasses to take a double peek at what I was staring at in the black soil .
half sov bust fresh out the soil .jpg
half sov fresh out tail.jpg
Just when I was going to give it up and head off and abandon this field I got lucky , very lucky indeed and enough to have me stay for the duration . It is a strange feeling staring down at a bit of gold coinage , it does indeed leave you almost speechless . On went the specs , eyes focussing on yes , a dream of dreams find . There she was , a young Victoria 1843 ! I just couldn't believe it , that one random signal had changed the entire day and lifted me straight out of the foil gloom , that one decision changed it all .
Once the initial excitement had calmed I stayed in that area and thoroughly scanned the ground but nothing else showed but at that point I didnt care .
half sov spade .jpg
The ball game had changed and my outlook was more upbeat and the endless bits of foil didnt bother me too much , a few shiny silver buttons had me fooled for a bit and then a neat whispy signal produced this tiny cut quarter , a first from this field .
half sov cut half.jpg
A few more buttons and bits came my way but it was soon time to leave this field and make my way back to the car as the late afternoon was drawing in and I had a fair walk ahead of me . The guns had gone , the fields were devoid of any waving white flags and the peace had once returned and the only natural sound was the sudden flutter of busy wings when a flock of Field fare took flight upon my appearance , a sure sign that winter will be soon upon us again .
No more real takers on my journey back but once again , a great uplifting few hours back out in the fresh air and pleasant surroundings .
half sov days finds.jpg
Steve_JT

You could almost say an Olympic day, you got gold, silver and bronze :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

A great result and write up :thumbsup:

Know what you mean about trying to keep a straight line, it’s like walking after too many sherberts. :lol:

Regards Steve
A foolish faith in authority, is the worst enemy of truth." Albert Einstein
Oxgirl

Oh wow you got gold :Party: really, really pleased for you and getting a cut quarter means you are really getting to grips with that machine.

You’ve made me smile :thumbsup: :D
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
alloverover

Very nice indeedy Kb :thumbsup:

My best coin today was a jubilee head sixpence, sovs are not a common find where I detect im afraid :cry: :cry: :thumbsup:
Easylife

Well done, gold doesn't often show. :thumbsup:
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
figgis

Great result there, KB :thumbsup: It's always the case that a special find (or even just a good one) can totally change the mood of the day, and well done for persevering.

As for walking in straight lines, I'm too easily distracted by things I spot on the surface for that. :D
shaggybfc

I've had many days like this. Rubbish after rubbish, to the point of wanting to give up, then boom, out of nowhere, something good and you stay. :thumbsup:
Cracking coin and write up :thumbsup:
Always carefully proof-read what you've typed to see if you've any words out.
Deus with 11" X35 and 9" HF coils. MI 6 pinpointer.
HolzHammer

Well done! It is eerie how often we find our best bits when on the verge of calling it a day in a huff....!
Dave The Slave

Well done, Paul.
Can imagine your excitement. :o :) :lol:
Excuse my ignorance, was that a Sovereign or a Half ? Trying to judge the size along side the other coin but did not know the size of that one.
Nice early date, little did people know she would reign for another fifty plus years.
Great find, :thumbsup:
Dave.
the-roman

That's a cracking coin mate, well saved :clapping: :clapping: :thumbsup:
muddy mick

Cant beat a bit of gold, very nice and well saved :thumbsup:
Kenleyboy

Dave The Slave wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:43 pm Well done, Paul.
Can imagine your excitement. :o :) :lol:
Excuse my ignorance, was that a Sovereign or a Half ? Trying to judge the size along side the other coin but did not know the size of that one.
Nice early date, little did people know she would reign for another fifty plus years.
Great find, :thumbsup:
Dave.
I should have mentioned what it was , too much excitement . It is a half sovereign . :thumbsup:
shaggybfc

Arh that’s where you go wrong. Chocolate biscuits are for the land gods. What you need for the beach gods are gifts of fish. A nice pilchard or kipper sarnie would do the trick. :thumbsup: :D
Always carefully proof-read what you've typed to see if you've any words out.
Deus with 11" X35 and 9" HF coils. MI 6 pinpointer.
Blackadder43

Wow, bet that warmed your cockles fella....
Great find :thumbsup:
1 man and his machine.....gelled :clapping:
Easylife

shaggybfc wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:18 pm What you need for the beach gods are gifts of fish. A nice pilchard or kipper sarnie would do the trick. :thumbsup: :D
Well I should be hitting the beach of the morrow or next. I would gladly offer a jar of sardine or crab paste as I don't believe that it's fit for human consumption! I'll just take my chances. :-?
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.