Finds that end up being far more interesting than first thought

Oxgirl

I am grinning today because I have had a confirmed iron age find :D The genius Alloverover told me he thought my ‘Roman’ grot was likely to be iron age a few months ago and he was right :thumbsup: Thanks to him I dropped it into my finds to be recorded a couple of weeks ago and today it was confirmed as a likely North Thames / Catuvellauni and Trinovantes unit attributed to Tasciovanos, dating to the period c.20 BC-AD 10. Probably 'Tasciovanos Jugate' type.
D202BBEE-2BE8-43B5-9396-95A5E577D951.jpeg
259789CA-05A8-4AC1-814E-23E6D4C92CB9.jpeg
I’ve had a few nice surprises recently. This item piqued my interest straight away but no one else seemed convinced. It’s one of those items you have to hold, I suspect. Anyway it's a Roman strap end, I’m told, and I agree, it feels Roman. And, whilst I’m not a fan of Roman coins I do like their artefacts! :D

And this ‘rabbit‘, which turned out to be an arm embowed :lol: was correctly identified as an armorial badge but was thought to be post medieval but ended up being identified as a 15th century medieval one. Very pleased :thumbsup:

Anyone else had a nice surprise when they recorded a find? 8-)
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
figgis

Great news, Cath, and further proof (were it needed) to pass the FLO anything you feel might be 'something'.
Marley

Not after recording, but I found an old pan lid, I hedged it
Only to realise when the penny dropped back at home, it was a Saxon shield boss
Went back with a torch and retrieved it
Attachments
9E0D927A-18C0-4BD7-9879-999E79CF3BC2.jpeg
Dave The Slave

Firstly Cath, well done on one your dreaded Roman grots being earlier and better.
Suppose the nearest i can come to a similar analogy, would be, a couple of lead items, i took along to the FLO, just for any info rather than recording with the other items. Being ornate, i was thinking photo frame, FLO immediately said they looked Medieval, although not sure what they were. Baring in mind that was my initial season of inland detecting, was extremely pleased to have found something from that period, as i had nothing between Roman and Victorian.
Did a little research and lots of trawling and contacted the FLO with a couple of other examples. The result being the find recorded as .
https://finds.org.uk/database/artefacts ... /id/856404.
Lead is often derided as it seems to be found in copious amounts of undistinguishable blobs but sometimes we find lead that has a story.
Cheers all, :thumbsup:
Dave.
Oxgirl

Dave The Slave wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:18 am Firstly Cath, well done on one your dreaded Roman grots being earlier and better.
Suppose the nearest i can come to a similar analogy, would be, a couple of lead items, i took along to the FLO, just for any info rather than recording with the other items. Being ornate, i was thinking photo frame, FLO immediately said they looked Medieval, although not sure what they were. Baring in mind that was my initial season of inland detecting, was extremely pleased to have found something from that period, as i had nothing between Roman and Victorian.
Did a little research and lots of trawling and contacted the FLO with a couple of other examples. The result being the find recorded as .
https://finds.org.uk/database/artefacts ... /id/856404.
Lead is often derided as it seems to be found in copious amounts of undistinguishable blobs but sometimes we find lead that has a story.
Cheers all, :thumbsup:
Dave.
Oh wow - was it a monastic site? I love it when some finds tell you more about the site and its history :D
Dave The Slave

Oxgirl wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:42 am Oh wow - was it a monastic site? I love it when some finds tell you more about the site and its history :D
Unfortunately no. Nearest site it may have been " looted " from about 5 miles away.
Cheers, :thumbsup:
Dave.
figgis

I had a "wossname" recorded as a Roman military pendant and, in the first batch I ever handed over to the FLO, two bronze wedges I thought were old and turned out to be the back end of BA palstave axes :thumbsup:
alloverover

Oxgirl wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:29 pm I am grinning today because I have had a confirmed iron age find :D The genius Alloverover told me he thought my ‘Roman’ grot was likely to be iron age a few months ago and he was right :thumbsup: Thanks to him I dropped it into my finds to be recorded a couple of weeks ago and today it was confirmed as a likely North Thames / Catuvellauni and Trinovantes unit attributed to Tasciovanos, dating to the period c.20 BC-AD 10. Probably 'Tasciovanos Jugate' type.

D202BBEE-2BE8-43B5-9396-95A5E577D951.jpeg259789CA-05A8-4AC1-814E-23E6D4C92CB9.jpeg

I’ve had a few nice surprises recently. This item piqued my interest straight away but no one else seemed convinced. It’s one of those items you have to hold, I suspect. Anyway it's a Roman strap end, I’m told, and I agree, it feels Roman. And, whilst I’m not a fan of Roman coins I do like their artefacts! :D

And this ‘rabbit‘, which turned out to be an arm embowed :lol: was correctly identified as an armorial badge but was thought to be post medieval but ended up being identified as a 15th century medieval one. Very pleased :thumbsup:

Anyone else had a nice surprise when they recorded a find? 8-)
Cheers Cath, its not a Tasciovanus Jugate though, I still say its a Cunobeline bull sacrifice, see some examples here :thumbsup:

https://www.google.com/search?source=un ... 20&bih=896
Oxgirl

alloverover wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:08 pm Cheers Cath, its not a Tasciovanus Jugate though, I still say its a Cunobeline bull sacrifice, see some examples here :thumbsup:

https://www.google.com/search?source=un ... 20&bih=896
It does look more like one of those - and they are older which makes me even happier :lol: I shall feed back to the FLO and see what he says :thumbsup: