New Nox 600

Jamesey1981

Hi everyone,

So, I won a Nox 600 in a raffle, and although I already have two detectors and Mrs Jamesey1981 can't understand why I need more than one I'm planning on using it.

Does anyone have any tips for a new nox user that's used to a deus in full tones?

I have an explorer as well so minelabs are not totally new to me at this point, but the nox and explorer are very different beasts so I think if I treat it like the explorer I won't be getting the best out of it.

Currently reading though the manual, and I've had a look on YouTube for some basics, but anything from the experienced nox users would be helpful to get me started.

Thanks in advance,

James.
That is not dead which can eternal lie,
And with strange aeons even death may die.

I'm a Mortgage Broker, please visit my website for help with your mortgage:
https://denariusmortgages.co.uk/
Carling 2

After using a, se for over 10 years and a nox 800 8 months I'm still not sure what I prefer, both pretty much the same (same as all detecters) makes a noise when they go over stuff😁 I don't think I've noticed a finds rate going up or down in but in truth probably found slightly less with the 800(23,hammys so far) and I know I've dug far more hot rocks and iron with it,,, in my opinion as said I still ain't sure yes it's a good machine that I've found a bit with but some find sod all with em,,, all depends where you go and what you put in I suppose.
Marley

I'm used to 800 settings, not sure how they colorate to the 600 ,
But 1 thing for certain is, it's an allround better machine than your previous one so you will deffinetly find more good finds....as long as you give it time
Blackadder43

I know that Jan (Littleboot) here has the 600 and is very confident with it, not sure who else has one....

I use the 800, but have never used a Deus, so i cant give advice on that
But i would say that they are both different beasts and i would in the beginning not try to use them in the same way, if that makes sense?

I do know that the programs pre set into the machines are fully capable of being used straight out the box with no adjustments
The only thing you should be changing is your volume and sensitivity to suit your field
As you learn the machine it will become second nature to flick through the menu and know which to ignore and which to fiddle with....

You will dig some iron to start, but keep listening and you will soon start to hear the slight nuances between the sounds
Field 1 would be my recomendation to start.......field 2 is slightly more sparky and would definately have you digging some iron at the start....

As with all machines its really a case of listening and putting those sounds into muscle memory

Most machines these days with preset programs can be used pretty much out the box, as experience and confidence comes into play then you will know which settings to change for your fields
Dont fall into the trap of looking for the holy grail program, there isnt one....all tweaks are circumstantial to your fields and conditions and will become apparent and second nature as time goes on

Just enjoy your new gift and keep us informed of your experience and finds with it :thumbsup:
Jamesey1981

Basically what you have all been saying is what I have been thinking, so thats cool, thank you.

Doesn't seem to have as many things to fiddle with as the deus, which to be honest probably isn't a bad thing, you can completely ruin a deus by fiddling with stuff if you don't know what you're doing, I'd imagine you can do the same with the 800 as it has more settings.

I've been reading the manual today, (but did pause to bake a loaf of soda bread) and it seems to make sense, I'll have a play with it when it arrives and see how I go, I think having a nox to play with will help with finds on my club digs on pasture, most of my club use a deus, there's only a couple of guys with a nox, and sometimes being the odd one out means you pick up stuff others have missed, I've taken the explorer out on digs once or twice and been surprised at what I've found on land they have been on for years, still love the deus but an extra tool in the toolbox is a good thing.

TerraBritannia

Carling 2 wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:04 am After using a, se for over 10 years and a nox 800 8 months I'm still not sure what I prefer, both pretty much the same (same as all detecters) makes a noise when they go over stuff😁 I don't think I've noticed a finds rate going up or down in but in truth probably found slightly less with the 800(23,hammys so far) and I know I've dug far more hot rocks and iron with it,,, in my opinion as said I still ain't sure yes it's a good machine that I've found a bit with but some find sod all with em,,, all depends where you go and what you put in I suppose.
Really? That's an interesting comments about digging hot rocks and one that I've heard a YouTuber mention too (although he doesn't use an Equinox). I can't recall ever digging one up while using my Nox, but I have pinpointed one with my Garrett Carrot. :D

Are there varying types of hot rocks in different locations, or are they all pretty much the same?
TerraBritannia [previously known as TerraEnglandia] but Andy is my real name.
https://www.youtube.com/TerraBritannia
Minelab Equinox 800
Saffron

I use the Nox 800 and the 600 is basically the same machine but the setting options allow finer tuning on the 800.

Recovery speed and Iron bias are settings that yo might well need to change for the UK. Obviously sensitivity to suit your ground conditions, I normally have to run aabout 20 on my permissions, but BA can normally run the max 25 on his. All other settings are fine "out of the box"

If you use headphones, I am not keen on them if on my own and nobody around, then set the volume on the machine to max, then make the adjustment to what you hear via the headphones. Trust me it does make a difference which way you do it, and this produces better results.

Evan
Jamesey1981

I always use headphones, my hearing isn't the best, I have a bit of tinnitus so without headphones I struggle.

Maxing out the machine and lowering the volume on the headphones is always going to be the best option on any machine, better to keep your source audio as high as possible and attenuate it with the second device in the chain than attenuate the source and max out the second device, keeps your audio as free of hum as possible.

I'm hoping the nox will go a bit louder than the explorer, I find minelab tones a bit soft so really I'd like to be able to crank it up a bit more.

Pete E

TerraEnglandia wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:05 pm
Really? That's an interesting comments about digging hot rocks and one that I've heard a YouTuber mention too (although he doesn't use an Equinox). I can't recall ever digging one up while using my Nox, but I have pinpointed one with my Garrett Carrot. :D

Are there varying types of hot rocks in different locations, or are they all pretty much the same?
I think there must be Andy..

I live in an area with a fair amount of hot rocks and plenty of coke. With a previous single frequency machine, they were a nightmare...

Despite people who claimed otherwise, the responses they gave were unpredictable, and I never did get to a point where I could recognise them to a degree I would be comfortable ignoring them.

In fact, watching a friend with a Nox not digging these was one of my main reasons for me buying an 800.

I would say it has cut the amount of coke I dig by 90%...I find a bit more than that as my pinpointer will find them as you note but usually there is a proper target in the same hole...

Having said all that, the Nox does still does hit the odd hit rock...I have noticed they tend to be smooth pebble like stones you would expect to find on s beach or river...All I can think of is they have a high iron content??

What I do find with the Nox is the presence of coke near a valid target can scramble the response you get..

More than once, when digging a poor, broken iffy signal, I have come across and removed one or two bits of coke from the hole, only then to have the signal from the actual target clean up and become a definite digger..It something I now bare in mind when deciding what to dig...
Jamesey1981

I don't recall ever digging a hot rock, dug plenty of coke though.

I don't mind too much, it's a sign of human activity after all, and none of the sites I dig are infested with it.

Would be nice to not dig it, but I would like to know it's there.

Easylife

Well done, what a great prize. I use the Nox 800 but pretty much the same thing. I used to use a Deus but the Nox is simply a far better detector. Multi-frequency better IDs targets at depth than a single frequency ever could if it could even see them at all. You will find more targets with the Nox especially when you understand how to interpret those near to edge of detection. Set the iron volume to 1, running all-metal will let you know exactly how the ground is but first off maybe better not to until you get used to it a bit, but it'll still find it anyway.
A reliable test whether a not so solid target response is iron is to scan it at 5khz. A jumpy target in the 30's is never iron even if it sounds really bad, normally just a very deep non-ferrous target (my favourite type). No need for any FE, zero is good.
Field 1, multi-frequency, mid recovery, sensitivity in the 20's, noise cancel, maybe ground balance - enjoy it's greater ability and let us know how you get on. :thumbsup:
If you hate it, sell it me as a back up! :lol:
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
Jamesey1981

Easylife wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:52 pm Well done, what a great prize. I use the Nox 800 but pretty much the same thing. I used to use a Deus but the Nox is simply a far better detector. Multi-frequency better IDs targets at depth than a single frequency ever could if it could even see them at all. You will find more targets with the Nox especially when you understand how to interpret those near to edge of detection. Set the iron volume to 1, running all-metal will let you know exactly how the ground is but first off maybe better not to until you get used to it a bit, but it'll still find it anyway.
A reliable test whether a not so solid target response is iron is to scan it at 5khz. A jumpy target in the 30's is never iron even if it sounds really bad, normally just a very deep non-ferrous target (my favourite type). No need for any FE, zero is good.
Field 1, multi-frequency, mid recovery, sensitivity in the 20's, noise cancel, maybe ground balance - enjoy it's greater ability and let us know how you get on. :thumbsup:
If you hate it, sell it me as a back up! :lol:

Thanks very much for the tips.

Even if I hate it on land it's much lighter than my explorer, so it will be my go to beach machine, (although pretty much anything would be lighter than the explorer).

I will still use the deus, when my back is bad I need a machine as light as possible so the deus is always going to win that fight with the current crop of machines.

It's already set to all metal and will be staying that way, I run all my machines wide open so I fully expect it to give me a headache at first but I'll get used to it quick, I like to hear everything and I'm used to a sparky deus and a wide open explorer, so I'll dig a bit of toot but likely only a few times before I get used to it, there will be some bits that carry on fooling me but thats the case with every machine.

Was going to be out on a club dig this morning but we had to cancel, it's community owned land and owned by a few people so we couldn't ask them all if it was OK after Boris's announcement yesterday and it's not worth risking a club permission if we're not 100% sure.

I'll take it out for a solo spin at the weekend, weather will be nicer anyway.

Rah7265

I started off with a Deus which can find hot rocks where there aren’t any although you can usually tell it’s a hot rock.
I got a Equinox 800 about 12 months ago and it can find hot rocks around here, granted not as many as the Deus but it does find them.
Easylife

Jamesey1981 wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:17 pm
Even if I hate it on land it's much lighter than my explorer, so it will be my go to beach machine.
The multi-frequency makes it a great beach machine but could also quite likely be your go to land machine too!
A simple bungee deals with the weight of any machine when set right. The more weighty 15" coil has been on mine for almost 2 years I guess, but with a bungee so a breeze to use.
Don't worry about any settings too much as It'll just find it anyway. It's not like the general Deus mindset that all of the specially named programs are some kind of game changer. :rollinglaughing: :rollinglaughing: :rollinglaughing:
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
Marley

The equinox needs time , Using multi frequency is different to using single
Swing and walking speed is very important , you have got to slow right down