New Nox 600

Jamesey1981

Marley wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:47 am The equinox needs time , Using multi frequency is different to using single
Swing and walking speed is very important , you have got to slow right down
Fine with slowing down, I use an explorer, lol.
That is not dead which can eternal lie,
And with strange aeons even death may die.

I'm a Mortgage Broker, please visit my website for help with your mortgage:
https://denariusmortgages.co.uk/
Easylife

Marley wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:47 am The equinox needs time , Using multi frequency is different to using single.
Multi is like single on steroids.
Marley wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:47 am Swing and walking speed is very important , you have got to slow right down.
Not for the general 90% of targets, but yes if you want them all like the masked deep ones.
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
Oxgirl

Now this is interesting as I’ve heard the Equinox really needs a slow sweep speed compared to say a Deus. Do you not find that? I have no experience of the Equinox so just interested in what users have found if they’ve switched from another brand.
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
Easylife

Oxgirl wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:02 am Now this is interesting as I’ve heard the Equinox really needs a slow sweep speed compared to say a Deus. Do you not find that? I have no experience of the Equinox so just interested in what users have found if they’ve switched from another brand.
I am led to believe that the older Minelab detectors required a slow sweep speed but am pretty sure that Minelab state that the Nox has a faster response than the Deus even in multi - frequency. With either machine a slower sweep would suit the more difficult targets. I switched from the Deus to the Nox as in comparison it was pretty useless at IDing good targets at any decent depth and they generally just sounded bad with a slight hint of good, but that is single frequency on any detector. I've compared them both over the very same targets and it's really quite an eye-opener when one gives a solid non-ferrous 2-way and the other just buzzes iron and cannot even see the good target at all! The Deus is okay on relatively shallow targets, I found some good stuff with it but I'd never have another. :thumbsup:
Marley

When you have 5 frequency’s scanning, over a single frequency scanning It’s a bit obvious that you slow down .

Also coming from years with the deus , I’d not have 3 brand new xp deus over the equinox .

Different league .

An interesting thread over on the fatherland, about how the updates can effect performance
Jamesey1981

The nox should certainly be quicker than the FBS minelabs that came before, stands to reason really, they used something like 22 frequencies simultaneously and the nox uses 4 or 5 at a time, even if the chips in them were the same then there's a lot more data to process from 22 frequencies at once than 4.

As to whether it's quicker than the deus, I haven't used it enough to say, bit even of it isn’t, recovery speed isn't always massively important, I have it dialed back a bit on the deus to get more depth out of it and only crank it up if there's a lot of rubbish about.

It's a bit heavier than the deus so I think my swing will naturally be a bit slower without thinking about it anyway, I try and keep my swing as smooth as possible so I don't jar my back and the heavier a machine is the slower I'll end up swinging it, if I used a CTX then I don't think I'd be moving!

Easylife

Where the Nox excels is in IDing difficult targets at good depth that would otherwise most likely be missed or dismissed as trash in single frequency. I too used to run the Deus at settings for max depth but it could only give a hint at best on the proper deeper stuff for it's size so was always digging the buzz with just a hint of good. On the Nox a reactivity of 3 or 4 suits most conditions but any more than 6 can be disadvantageous. Regarding swing rate, just see what works best for you on your particular land.
As detectors go the Nox is light enough but a bungee makes it even lighter if need be, or even a carbon shaft?
Marley

I went down the carbon shaft route, saves around 100g I think :lol:
Then you end up buying screen covers, hand stops, shaft covers and coil stiffeners , upping the weight 200g :lol:

Only advantage for me was it collapsed down smaller to fit in the boot .
Flossyrockstar

TerraEnglandia wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:05 pm Really? That's an interesting comments about digging hot rocks and one that I've heard a YouTuber mention too (although he doesn't use an Equinox). I can't recall ever digging one up while using my Nox, but I have pinpointed one with my Garrett Carrot. :D

Are there varying types of hot rocks in different locations, or are they all pretty much the same?
If you change the tone break from two to one you will hear coke as a positive digger signal but it always comes through a VDI of 1 and if you try and pinpoint it, it will disappear. :thumbsup:
Jamesey1981

I think it's light enough, it's not a heavy detector it's just a bit heavier than a deus, but then everything is.

It would be nice for it to collapse down a bit smaller so the carbon shafts do have that advantage but then it isnt that hard to break it in half at the join by the handle, that's what I did to get it into the boot.

Easylife

Marley wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 6:09 am I went down the carbon shaft route, saves around 100g I think :lol:
Then you end up buying screen covers, hand stops, shaft covers and coil stiffeners , upping the weight 200g :lol:

Only advantage for me was it collapsed down smaller to fit in the boot .
Just a telescopic carbon shaft for me, I don't need or want any of the other bling. :lol:
Flossyrockstar

Saffron wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 12:59 am I use the Nox 800 and the 600 is basically the same machine but the setting options allow finer tuning on the 800.

Recovery speed and Iron bias are settings that yo might well need to change for the UK. Obviously sensitivity to suit your ground conditions, I normally have to run aabout 20 on my permissions, but BA can normally run the max 25 on his. All other settings are fine "out of the box"

If you use headphones, I am not keen on them if on my own and nobody around, then set the volume on the machine to max, then make the adjustment to what you hear via the headphones. Trust me it does make a difference which way you do it, and this produces better results.

Evan
They are not the same, the deal breakers on the 600 are not being able to change the pitch and volume of the digger signals, no manual ground balance, recovery speed has far more control and the very versatile gold mode is missing.
If your not using headphones you will miss small deep targets as background sound will drown them out and you won’t hear them. :thumbsup: