Bent Hammered - Mary (1553-54).

Saffron

Like all "traditional clubs" ours has been shut down since March, but one of the club members organised an informal dig for 5 of us this morning, following all the rules of course, we met in a pub car park at 9:00 and the dig was just down the road from there.

He started by saying previously he and his mate had found a few Roman coins and a fibula in the field (a large ploughed field) ..... I said "I never find Roman, so its a waste of time" and pretended to walk back to the car, he laughed and assured me that there was a Victorian penny in the one corner of the field so I could find that instead :D :D

By 12:00 my best find was a large nail (I think it might be Roman but need to research it), and as I can see the pub think I would be much better off there having a pint and am wondering why I am bothering.

But I go back to the car and have a bite and think give it another hour, then head home and see the racing on TV. I am glad I gave it another go as I found a hammered :Party: :Party:

Soon after the rain started in no uncertain fashion so headed home.

It needs a better clean but I am fairly certain its an Elizabeth I groat. Its my only hammered coin so far this year, so more than made up for the blank morning. The down side is that it was bent nearly in half at 90 degrees!!. I have attached photos after a very light clean, they were taken in a poor light but I wanted some photos in case trying to clean it further and maybe straightening it slightly results in breaking it!.

If anybody can confirm the ID, or provide more information it would be appreciated.

I e-mailed the organiser to thank him this evening and he said it was "the find of the day" as most only found buttons and junk, but I believe one Roman coin was found.

Evan
Attachments
IMG_0182.JPG
IMG_0181.JPG
Allectus

" I am fairly certain its an Elizabeth I groat"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's her sister - Mary. ;)
Saffron

Allectus wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:36 pm " I am fairly certain its an Elizabeth I groat"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's her sister - Mary. ;)
Thanks Allectus. So we are talking Spinks 2492?.

Last time I made this mistake with two sisters was many years ago :oops: , and its something I would not care to repeat. They both looked so sweet and innocent and as if butter would not melt, but I still have nightmares about the reaction I got that day.

That is even better as Mary's are less frequent finds than Elizabeth's, and its even older and can be pinned down to just 1553-54.

I am hopeless on hammies (sadly I do not find enough to get practice), is a mint mark visable?.

Evan
Oxgirl

Well found Evan. Really pleased for you. And it’s a Mary (I’ve never found a Mary so am very, very jealous) :Star:
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
figgis

Great find, Evan :thumbsup: The mint mark will be at roughly 3 o'clock on both sides (after MARIA on the obverse and after VERITAS on the reverse).

That looks quite a sharp bend and I'd be annealing in order to straighten it.
Saffron wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 12:27 am Last time I made this mistake with two sisters was many years ago :oops: , and its something I would not care to repeat. They both looked so sweet and innocent and as if butter would not melt, but I still have nightmares about the reaction I got that day.
Ye gods, man, you can't leave us hanging like that! Full story, please :lol:
Saffron

figgis wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 4:22 am Great find, Evan :thumbsup: The mint mark will be at roughly 3 o'clock on both sides (after MARIA on the obverse and after VERITAS on the reverse).

That looks quite a sharp bend and I'd be annealing in order to straighten it.
Ye gods, man, you can't leave us hanging like that! Full story, please :lol:
Thanks Figgis.

I stand a better chance of seeing the mint mark now its daylight and importantly know where to look :thumbsup:

The bend is a full 90 degrees, I know that ideally it needs straightening. But being that sharp a bend and a nice coin I am concerned about breaking it (I have never tried to straighten a coin before, I know the theory and that its important to take it very gently)

Sorry that story about the sisters stays firmly where it belongs, in the past! :silent: :silent: I am all ashake just thinking about it!. All I will say is that they are two lovely young ladies and I am still friends with both. Although I infrequnetly see the one I more often see the other and their mother. When I see them they like hear about and see what I have found detecting. When it comes to this coin I certainly will NOT mention confusing Mary with her sister Elizabeth, because I know full well that they both will remember that fateful day and remind me of it

Evan
figgis

Saffron wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:24 am Sorry that story about the sisters stays firmly where it belongs, in the past! :silent: :silent:
:thumbdown: Boo! Chiz! :thumbdown:

;) :lol:
Blackadder43

Bump
Dave The Slave

Well done on your Mary Groat, Evan.
Specific time frame and rarer than a Lizzie.
Cheers, :thumbsup:
Dave.
Oxgirl

figgis wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:32 am :thumbdown: Boo! Chiz! :thumbdown:

;) :lol:
Now I’m VERY intrigued :lol:
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
Blackadder43

Please bare with me while i try to sort out the topic edits saga
Its gone again, but will probably appear after i post this
I am looking into it :thumbsup:
Pete E

Very nice find Evan! What part of the country did you find it?

I can understand your nervousness about straightening it....I am really not sure what I would do! lol
Saffron

Pete E wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:28 pm Very nice find Evan! What part of the country did you find it?

I can understand your nervousness about straightening it....I am really not sure what I would do! lol
Thanks Pete.

The find was in Gloucestershire. For the record it was on rough plough, and only a few inches deep, found with the Nox using field 1.

The more I am seeing today about annealing the more inclined I am to leave it bent. A more common coin with a slight bend I would risk with trying to flatten it when cold. But this is a full 90 degree bend (if anything a few degrees over 90), additionally the smaller section has slight damage in 2 places on the edge so might be fragile.

Evan
Pete E

Saffron wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:47 pm Thanks Pete.

The find was in Gloucestershire. For the record it was on rough plough, and only a few inches deep, found with the Nox using field 1.

The more I am seeing today about annealing the more inclined I am to leave it bent. A more common coin with a slight bend I would risk with trying to flatten it when cold. But this is a full 90 degree bend (if anything a few degrees over 90), additionally the smaller section has slight damage in 2 places on the edge so might be fragile.

Evan
I would agree and leave as is....

I am housebound due to the wet weather at the moment. Most of my local permissions are pasture on clay, so this wet weather means digging and tramping the ground as you work results in things getting very muddy and very torn up looking very quickly...

I don't suppose it does any lasting damage, and is nothing compared to the damage done by vehicles or even stock, but I just don't like leaving damage/eyesores where I have been...
Paint

Nice find Evan :thumbsup: I have only ever found a fragment of a Mary a bent whole one is so much better :thumbsup: