Brown and cream glazed ceramic

shaggybfc

And another piece from South Warwickshire. I said I’d keep you busy :thumbsup:
I find quite a lot of this type of pottery in the fields.
I was thinking maybe C16th - C17th?
Thanks
Attachments
DC3B5E0E-4B44-4536-8470-A63E82DBCBB7.jpeg
AE7BD3FD-29F3-47E6-830E-548D423C5398.jpeg
B0F31522-4223-4D58-A885-1C174885CBC9.jpeg
Always carefully proof-read what you've typed to see if you've any words out.
Deus with 11" X35 and 9" HF coils. MI 6 pinpointer.
Pottery Man

DSC_4389.jpg
Staffs Slipware combed plate C18th.jpg
Lovely 'Staffordshire Slipware'. Lots of opinions about dates but realistic window suggests the earliest stuff that looks like this is from the tail of the C17th with its demise alongside the surge of industrial china factories in the five towns in the later part of the C18th.... or 1680 to 1800 but carried on in the traditional country potteries that refused to abandon the cheap red alluvial clays.
That particular piece is notable for the fact of it having wet-on-wet coloured slip that was applied like pouring paint of the background black and over-laying with a running white slip (applied from a cow-horn or similar with a closed end having a hole that the finger can cover to stop the flow.... I've had a go: it works!).
The broad line of pale settles into the sea of dark slip and effectively settles flat and no visual contours. While it is wet, a pin pulled over the surface drags the two colours into points. Dragging to and then fro in parallel lines gave the feathered decoration we often see on 18th century slipware sherds.
The sheet of slip decorated clay was draped over a hump mould to get the shape. Some potters used a hollow form to achieve the same outcome. Potters being potters, made circular moulds for big dishes as well as the softly rectangular shapes.
One of the traditional decorations was called Boney Pie.... The honey ground with the dark signature of Boney Pie; it is drawn like a signature but always loosely in the same form, so quite unlike an individuals monika!Image
bXCmVj3M.jpg
I can do more pictures and would do but these are almost the most common hand-made post-medieval & pre Industrial sherds we find. I still pick them up and list them amongst my favourites when the hands of their maker are so much part of the things.
Attachments
Boney Pie.jpg
Staffs Slipware trailed C18th.jpg
maylandmanta

They look great - takes me back to school days in the 60's when pottery lessons were part of art and making the same sort of slipware ( not to very high standards though) was part of the art course.