Sunday 25 Oct round up

Steve_JT

Sunday’s roundup

The day started off a bit late so only had only four and a half hours as had to back early too, sun shone in the pleasant breeze, had one moderate shower for about 10 minutes followed by a shorter shower just spitting a bit. The Deus seemed very responsive when a target got picked up, a definite “dig me” or not signal, not sure if it is the compaction and moisture that has made a difference but certainly seemed better!

The ground was good and thought it may have been a bit claggy after the previous days non-stop rain, crop is really showing, luckily still allowed to detect, but detecting window is shortening when it’s too tall to detect, not much junk coming up luckily, only a couple of ring pulls and couple of bits of foil and a nasty puncture making spring tine safely removed.

First up was a 1916 George V sixpence followed by the lovely clasp with a nice patina, just hoped I had not peaked to early.
Went down the field to go over the crop marks I had found, gridded both areas but didn’t yield anything older than three roman coins, one of them a Constans with two victories standing holding wreaths (if my ID is correct) I will go over the area again at some point when working my way up the field, anything may have moved down the slight slope of the field from cultivation.

That’s 27 roman coins from the field, all small bar one, not many in good enough condition for an ID, and only one other roman find, a key. Still lots of the field left to do

The nice bits

A Clasp, Strap end, poss buckle part, poss buckle plate, monogramed button,
George III Farthing, George III Halfpenny, three roman coins and a George V Sixpence

Better images of some items

A nice Clasp

A Constans Two Victories standing holding wreaths

A George V Sixpence 1916

The “Also Ran’s”

Regards steve
A foolish faith in authority, is the worst enemy of truth." Albert Einstein
Rah7265

Well I’d call that a good days detecting, plenty there to keep up you interest through the day.
Thanks for sharing your results.
Dave The Slave

Thanks for sharing your days finds Steve.
Also rans are better than non runners.
Romans can be annoying when they come up without much detail, yet you take them to the FLO and they know instantly what they are, like they were tutored by Allectus. At least you were able to Id one of yours.
Cheers, :thumbsup:
Dave.
Blackadder43

That looks to be a good and productive few hours Steve :clapping: and a promising field too with lots left to detect
Excellent write up too and photos
For folk like me who arent getting any lately it makes me feel as if i'm in the field digging again :clapping:
Cheers for that fella :thumbsup:
wittsy1

A good haul, very well done to you :clapping:
Reiver

The also rans would be my star finds over the last couple of outings.
Well done ,well saved. :thumbsup:
Paint

Good selection of finds there Steve and well presented with great photos and write up :thumbsup:
shaggybfc

I like that clasp :thumbsup:
Always carefully proof-read what you've typed to see if you've any words out.
Deus with 11" X35 and 9" HF coils. MI 6 pinpointer.
alloverover

The button is a nice find Steve, its from a Volunteer malitia, Napolionic period, I cant see the button on the site I use but it looks like L something V so is likely to stand for 'Loyal ( name of town) Volenteers', the buttons are quite collectable :thumbsup:
alloverover

Dificult to tell if the Roman is Constans or Constantius II Steve, both had issues with a D between the Victories minted in Trier :thumbsup:
Steve_JT

alloverover wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:39 pm Dificult to tell if the Roman is Constans or Constantius II Steve, both had issues with a D between the Victories minted in Trier :thumbsup:
I will have to amend the PAS as I've recorded it, thanks for the info :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
A foolish faith in authority, is the worst enemy of truth." Albert Einstein