Not a find but possibly a gift

Rah7265

A brief background.
At the beginning of September no one son starts at boarding school in North Yorkshire, due to Coronavirus the rules are parents can only visit on a Sunday and have to take the kids out of school, the problem how to entertain an 11 year old an hour and a half from home in rural North Yorkshire for 8 hours.
Then I remembered several years back I shot on a farm just outside York and I thought I remembered the farmer saying he had another farm further north So I dug his number out and tried to contacted him. After several attempts he answered the phone, he seemed quite happy to hear from me and I explained my dilemma of being in North Yorkshire with son every Sunday with nothing to do And asked if he still had a farm up there and if so can I take son detecting. The answer was yes I still have the farm and it’s only about 15 minutes from sons school and we can detect on it anytime, then comes the but, you will have to keep away from the farm it’s as it is a scheduled monument Grade one listed Hall , I assured him we would act responsibly and research the site before we came. I did a bit of research to find the land has 2 deserted medieval villages as well, I couldn’t believe my luck.
We turned up the next Sunday and had a couple of hours detecting which is a I can manage due to my bad joints, we didn’t find much, I think the best coin was a 1873 half penny in really good condition.
Son had a much better day than he would have had otherwise so as soon as I got home I rang the farmer to thank him, now comes the really good bit.
Farmer is really chatty on the phone and seemed disappointed that we hadn’t found more, then he says have you ever looked on the old maps and websites at his other 1000 acres farm just outside York, obviously I had in the past but never got round to asking to go there due to the amount of land I have near to home. So I played it down a bit and said is there a particular reason you ask, well he explained a few years back my son was doing some drainage work with a digger and came across a buried cobbled road in the middle of a field I’m sure if you want to go down there he’ll show you where it is. I can’t believe my luck, I haven’t been there yet but you can bet your bottom dollar I will be.
Dave The Slave

What a great write up.
New farm sounds interesting, with track.
Occasionally have No2 son detecting with me during Half terms, usually end up having to dig some of his signals.
When together has made some better finds than me but is always a joy to have his company.
Good luck, :thumbsup:
Dave.
Rah7265

Thanks Dave.
My son isn't as keen as he once was but when he comes with me we usually find something good or nothing of interest at all.
The usual thing is I detect and dig the holes and he pinpoints to make sure he sees what’s in the hole before me. I remember the first hammered coin we found he snatched it out of the hole and turned away from me just so I couldn’t see it, he thought that was hilarious and I’ll never forget the moment.
figgis

Great story and hopefully the new land will give you and the boy many more happy memories :thumbsup:
Oxgirl

Great result! I hope you both have a wonderful time there, whatever you find :D
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking