Britains Most Historic Town's: Series 3, with Proffessor Alice Roberts.

bob79

Just spotted starting next Saturday on Channel 4, 8.10pm the third series of Britain's Most Historic Town's presented by Professor Alice Roberts, starting with Medieval Lincoln. :thumbsup:
Emily

I wonder if banbury has been talked about?? It was a very well known and important market town in its day.
Live long and prospect
bob79

Which period is Banbury best known for Em.
Oxgirl

Excellent news indeed. I always enjoy that series :thumbsup:
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
Emily

bob79 wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:29 pm Which period is Banbury best known for Em.
I’m not sure, but it became an important Anglo-Saxon town from the 8th C.
Live long and prospect
bob79

Don't forget starts tonight, episodes 2 next Saturday 8PM is Restoration London.
Saffron

Not Banbury, but it was Lincoln which certainly has masses of history.

I thought the program showed the long history of the city very well and was well worth watching. If you missed it I would recommend seeing it on catch up.

Everybody knows about the Magna Carta, but in many ways the Charter Of The Forrest (1217) was more important to the vast majority of people in the country and this is the only TV program that I have heard talk about it and its importance.

It was also interesting how the 2nd Battle of Lincoln (again 1217) was described as arguably the 2nd most important battle on British soil after the Battle of Hastings, as if the result had been different it could well have resulted in Louis VIII of France becoming king of England.

Evan
bob79

Saffron wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:16 am Not Banbury, but it was Lincoln which certainly has masses of history.

I thought the program showed the long history of the city very well and was well worth watching. If you missed it I would recommend seeing it on catch up.

Everybody knows about the Magna Carta, but in many ways the Charter Of The Forrest (1217) was more important to the vast majority of people in the country and this is the only TV program that I have heard talk about it and its importance.

It was also interesting how the 2nd Battle of Lincoln (again 1217) was described as arguably the 2nd most important battle on British soil after the Battle of Hastings, as if the result had been different it could well have resulted in Louis VIII of France becoming king of England.

Evan
Very interesting episode Evan, never really knew anything about Lincoln, didn't realise it had so much history to it.
Does make you wonder what twists and turns our history could have taken if battles had gone the other way.
Saffron

I thought this had been a good series.

But was it only me that thought the "politcal correctness" was way over done last night.

Its a known fact that Nelson did not support abolishing slavery. But the way they kept on about it :thumbdown: . You can not judge peoples actions in the past by todays standards.

Since the tragic death of George Floyd, and upsurge in the Black Lives Matter movement all the TV programmes seem to be making a massive issue of what happened with slavery centuries ago.

Very regretabby today in America the indigenous people ("Native Americans", aka "First Nations"), are treated very badly by the ruling ancestors of Europeans (mainly British). Likewise in Australia the indigenous people (aboriginal tribes) are treated very badly by the ruling ancestors of Europeans (mainly British). Yet this never is mentioned.

Rather than being politically correct about the past, and wanting to pull down statues of Nelson and Bden powell, surely we should be more concerned about the treatment of minorities today?.

Evan