Updated advice for England

Oxgirl

Just published...
99DF7FFA-E706-48CE-BEED-99D4C496D116.jpeg
4CDEA9A9-954C-4E8C-9757-88F488C09D1C.jpeg
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
TerraBritannia

Thanks for the info Cath. My permissions are around 15 mins drive from home, I think that should be OK.
TerraBritannia [previously known as TerraEnglandia] but Andy is my real name.
https://www.youtube.com/TerraBritannia
Minelab Equinox 800
Marley

One of mine is 15 metres , takes longer to drive there than crawl :lol:
tone

well seem's there's still a grey area on our far you can travel by car to detect . if i travel five miles to a good site to detect on do i run the risk of being fined if seen by the police because i'm to far from my home for there liking. ?
Oxgirl

tone wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:22 pm well seem's there's still a grey area on our far you can travel by car to detect . if i travel five miles to a good site to detect on do i run the risk of being fined if seen by the police because i'm to far from my home for there liking. ?
In Wales they have said up to 5 miles but we’ll need to see if that’s the same for England :thumbsup:
Steve RC

I agree there needs ot be some clarification of the distance allowable to travel to metal detect.

I dont have land near enough to walk to or cycle to if i had a bike ! Like most detectorists i have to travel by car and for me that can be up to 20/30 miles.

Look forward to clarification in due course hopefully with a definitions of what constitutes a reasonable distance otherwise it is once again open to interpretation and mis-interpretation. I detect on my own so the chance of contact with third parties is remote.
Saffron

Interestingly when Boris made his speech he said that "Recreation" was allowed outdoors, and this was highlighted as one of the differences between the original lockdown and this one. As such metal detecting would obviously be allowed.

However, the published information signifcantly now does NOT mention "Recreation" as a valid reason to go out. Therefore meaning metal detecting is not allowed.
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/new-nationa ... 5-november

Of course all of this has to go through parliament on Wednesday, so it could all change again.

To avoid mods deleting my exact view of this change I will restrict myself to "Oh dear, what a shame", as I already had something lined up for Friday that clearly was "recreation".

Evan
Saffron

I do not know where Oxgirl got that original information from, but it is NOT on the NCMD website, (the last news on there related to the lock down in Wales and was posted on 23 October) so I have no idea if they are aware of the change in the Government stance since Sunday.

But as the question I contacted them about on 13 Sept has still not been replied to :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: I am not holding my breath about any information from them regarding the lockdown.

Evan
Oxgirl

It's on Facebook Evan. I'll ask why it isn't on the website :thumbsup:
Saffron

Oxgirl, a large percentage of detectorists are "of a certain age" and NOT on FB. How are they meant to know?.

Although I (reluctantly) use FB, I do not look on the NCMD FB page as I expect (as would most other NCMD members) that information for members is actually posted on the NCMD website.

Sadly this year the more I see of how the NCMD communicate (or not!) with its members the worse it gets. :thumbdown:

Evan
Saffron

Oxgirl, if you find out why its not on the NCMD site can you also get them to confirm if the guidance issued after Boris said outdoor "Recreation" was allowed is still the same now the official Government website does not say about it being allowed - which IMHO significantly changes the situation regarding metal detecting.

Evan
Ladybird66

It has just been clarified on BBC news.

Outdoor sports and facilities will be closed in England from Thursday. It will not be acceptable to play I.e. Golf or Tennis with a friend. So I reckon that would include detecting !

Forgive me if I’ve missed something in the above posts. I haven’t read them all. Even some of the Gov. members got it wrong when Boris said you could meet 1 person outside and have apologised and corrected themselves. What chance have we got !

Add. Does that mean you can go on your own ? Here we go again :thumbsup:
Pete E

Ladybird66 wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:20 am It has just been clarified on BBC news.

Outdoor sports and facilities will be closed in England from Thursday. It will not be acceptable to play I.e. Golf or Tennis with a friend. So I reckon that would include detecting !

Forgive me if I’ve missed something in the above posts. I haven’t read them all. Even some of the Gov. members got it wrong when Boris said you could meet 1 person outside and have apologised and corrected themselves. What chance have we got !

Add. Does that mean you can go on your own ? Here we go again :thumbsup:
It's a bit of a mess...I am reading that if it's a sport that uses facilities, it's a no go, but things that can be carried out solo, in public and with no shared facilities it's fine... So playing a proper round of golf might be out, but if you were practicing driving on an open field you should be fine???
Saffron

Even with what Boris and the Government have said previously (and there has been a lot of conflicting information provided by different people!) and how this has been interpreted (missinterpreted?) by the BBC and other news media the bill about the lockdown has to go through parliament today and during that process details could well be changed anyway.

Evan
Pete E

That is definitely a consideration....the present two week lockdown in Wales has not really affected me much, but this one in England looks like it could be in place till Christmas and will have a much bigger impact on people's lives...