Updated advice for England

Saffron

As Pete mentioned Wales I will highlight what I heard on the BBC last night that the Welsh Assembly are banning travel between Wales and England while England is in lockdown. So anybody in England near the Welsh border can not just "pop" over to Wales for a bit of detecting.

Evan
Pete E

Saffron wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:33 am As Pete mentioned Wales I will highlight what I heard on the BBC last night that the Welsh Assembly are banning travel between Wales and England while England is in lockdown. So anybody in England near the Welsh border can not just "pop" over to Wales for a bit of detecting.

Evan
I actually have a small permission that straddles the border! lol

I also know people who live in Wales, but have to cross into England to leave their properties! The houses one said of the road are in Wales but those opposite on the other side are in England...
Saffron

Pete E wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:06 am I actually have a small permission that straddles the border! lol

I also know people who live in Wales, but have to cross into England to leave their properties! The houses one said of the road are in Wales but those opposite on the other side are in England...
Yep!.

Just shows what a farce the situation is when the 2 different governments have different rules at the same time.

Sadly I am sure that the virus, which we ALL have to try to beat, does not recognise the border.

In the mean time Pete I suggest that you get a very accurate GPS for that permission as we would not like you to get into trouble.

As a second thought I wonder what the police, who are meant to enforce these regulations, would do if you asked them to come out and mark exactly where the boundary was to ensure that you did not break the law - as one of the duties of the police is to provide advice and guidance regarding the law therefore the request would be legitimate :rollinglaughing: :rollinglaughing:

Evan
Pete E

The two governments are just farcical and it would be funny if it were not so serious...

I ve not been to that particular permission since before the last lock down as the old boy likes a knock on the door before and after I start detecting, and given he is very elderly and not in good shape, I don't want to put him at risk...

Besides it's on very low lying land and I think after all this rain I would need an airboat to get about! lol
Mucky

I will continue to detect alone on my own local permissions no matter what. :pulling hair out:
TerraBritannia

The info is now on the NCMD website too.

ncmd.jpg
TerraBritannia [previously known as TerraEnglandia] but Andy is my real name.
https://www.youtube.com/TerraBritannia
Minelab Equinox 800
Easylife

Mucky wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 4:25 pm I will continue to detect alone on my own local permissions no matter what. :pulling hair out:
Well if they're quite local then it's good exercise. :thumbsup:
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
Marley

Does he say metal detecting is not allowed ?

Let me know when he does and I’ll clean the machine and give it a rest :thumbsup:
Steve_JT

From my interpretation of the rules 5th Nov detecting is permissible following guidance from NCMD
ALSO
This copied from Gov.uk site
Permissible:-
to spend time or exercise outdoors - this should be done locally wherever possible, but you can travel to do so if necessary (for example, to access an open space)

But it’s down to the individual to make a personal decision to do so, if challenged by police have your reason ready.
4FFE9535-4811-40D2-9385-477B432C2581.jpeg
Regards Steve
A foolish faith in authority, is the worst enemy of truth." Albert Einstein
Saffron

Very sorry folks but the rules have now changed, and we obviously now count as an amateur sport.

Detecting on private land is now specifically banned (even with the land owners permision)

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/guidance-on ... g-covid-19

Evan
TerraBritannia

You must not leave or be outside of your home except for specific purposes. This can include exercise outdoors or to visit an outdoor public place - with the people you live with, with your support bubble or, when on your own, with 1 person from another household.

This means that:

Metal detecting can take place in an outdoor public place. You must have the permission of the landowner to detect on the land and should contact your local council or district councils to check the local policies regarding detecting on public land in your area as you may need a formal permit. This must be done alone, with the people you live with, with your support bubble or, when on your own, with 1 person from another household.

You cannot detect on private land even if you have permission from the owner.

If you are able to search for archaeological finds, including those metal-detecting, field-walking and those searching the Thames foreshore (mudlarking), you must follow this advice.
Blimey. So you can detect on pubicly owned land with permission, where there's more chance of there being other people around, but not on private land no matter what. :problem:
TerraBritannia [previously known as TerraEnglandia] but Andy is my real name.
https://www.youtube.com/TerraBritannia
Minelab Equinox 800
Saffron

TerraEnglandia wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:31 pm Blimey. So you can detect on pubicly owned land with permission, where there's more chance of there being other people around, but not on private land no matter what. :problem:

Yes it sounds very silly. But my bet regarding detecting "in an outdoor public place" is that as stated is that "You must have the permission of the landowner to detect on the land and should contact your local council or district councils to check the local policies regarding detecting on public land in your area as you may need a formal permit" suggests that the councils might well block it.

Evan
Oxgirl

Just published by the NCMD
RESTRICTIONS ON DETECTING FROM 5th NOVEMBER FOR ENGLAND

We have carefully read the guidance and the complete legislation ( The Health Protection (Coronavirus, Restrictions) (England) (No. 4) Regulations 2020) on the new national restrictions for England to ensure our advice to you is correct as we enter ‘Lockdown 2’ in England.

As a responsible organisation we had however also sought confirmation that detecting was still legal from the Department for Culture Media and Sport (DCMS) earlier this week. They emailed us this afternoon with their view on what is legal, and published Metal detecting specific guidance this evening.

This guidance confirms our view that detecting is not prohibited during this lockdown. However we were very surprised that the DCMS has specifically excluded detecting on private land, whilst allowing detecting on public land (with permission) such as beaches, parks and other council owned land.

We do not agree with this view of the legislation.

We have challenged the DCMS about why they are excluding detecting on private land. We will update you when we know more.

Until then we advise you to read and follow the DCMS guidance.

Please stay calm and continue to stay safe.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/guidance-on ... -19#events
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
Fisher 1266 X

Oxgirl wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:10 pm Just published by the NCMD
Unless you have permission from a public landowner ie a council, you cannot detect at all ....except for you garden :pulling hair out:
Saffron

Well done to the NCMD on being on the ball and challenging this unbelievable latest restriction from the Government.

Evan