TDH youtube channel - need your help

figgis

We figured that it's now time to start to add to our YT channel in earnest. We will be putting some more "how to" content on there but then thought that while this might be helpful, we don't want the entire channel to be us talking at people. We'd like some of the content to be a reflection of the forum itself and that, of course, would require input from you lovely lot. So, this is the idea we're mulling over, and it runs along the lines of "members' finds'...

We could of course have a gallery of "my favourite find" images, but perhaps the best way to showcase your finds is to categorise them into coins/artefacts (gold/silver/celtic/Roman/Saxon/medieval, etc) and maybe an "as yet unidentified" section. Maybe that would save trawling through various videos in search of specific items? There are many possibilities.

Anyone have any video clips of finds they've made which could be incorporated into a short compilation? We could do that, too.

The intention is to keep the "gallery" videos reasonably short - 5 mins or so, as there's only so long that most can gawp at Roman brooches before losing interest (certain members aside :lol: ) - but we can always do more videos on a given subject as the situation demands.

What say? Would this be of interest? If so, be prepared for the fact that any images/videos you kindly submit might take a while to appear while we make up the numbers, and maybe they might have to wait till the next issue if in a popular category, but we'd really appreciate your thoughts on the whole concept. As much as this is your forum, we'd like it to be your YT channel, so please do have your say and we can tailor the content to your liking.

:thumbsup:
TerraBritannia

I like the idea John and I have something that I still haven't been able to identify, not even my FLO is sure what it is.

My video clip is 2:07 mins long and it was recorded at 30fps, what frame rate will you be using for your video? I can convert it to 24fps if need be.
TerraBritannia [previously known as TerraEnglandia] but Andy is my real name.
https://www.youtube.com/TerraBritannia
Minelab Equinox 800
Saki

I think thats a brilliant idea. Your really giving "ownership" and therfore pride in the forum to all members. Thats to be commended and utilised for the forum.
My "brilliant" finds are few and far between, (unless you collect tin cans, beer cans, cat tin lids, dog tins, aluminum and general crap) but may do a wee short showing my method and soil type etc
figgis

TerraEnglandia wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:38 pm what frame rate will you be using for your video?
:shock:

Probably :thumbsup:

I'm totally new to making videos, but the downloading of an app has resulted in the revelation that the last video was 30fps and seeing as I never touched nuffink I'm assuming they'll all be that :D .

Thanks, Andy. I'll see about setting up various drop points for images and videos (mostly here, but larger files might need a file hosting site) and hopefully we'll get something to put out there :thumbsup:
figgis

Saki wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:19 pm My "brilliant" finds are few and far between, (unless you collect tin cans, beer cans, cat tin lids, dog tins, aluminum and general crap) but may do a wee short showing my method and soil type etc
That'd be great, chap :D :thumbsup:

Our channel can be used by members who have short videos they'd not bother uploading as stand alone videos but which can all be put together and be incorporated under the TDH banner.
jcmaloney

It`ll get lost in the tornado of self promoting pish on YT.
:D
I`m Marmite me. Opinionated, obstinate and somewhat tenacious.
figgis

jcmaloney wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 3:01 pm It`ll get lost in the tornado of self promoting pish on YT.
:D
Thanks for the encouragement.
jcmaloney

figgis wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 5:23 pm Thanks for the encouragement.
Reality more like. :D

There seems to be a path most YT folk follow.
Create a "brand" or USP.
Post lots of videos with strategically placed branded goods/items.
Get free stuff from brands.
Only post the highlights so it looks good.
Beg for "subs" & "likes".
Grow the audience.
Start selling "merch".
Disappear when the next "superstar" hits the front...

A genuine, educational channel has a place but it won`t have the required appeal for the new generation who prefer the gurning treasure hunter types.
Oxgirl

jcmaloney wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:21 am Reality more like. :D

There seems to be a path most YT folk follow.
Create a "brand" or USP.
Post lots of videos with strategically placed branded goods/items.
Get free stuff from brands.
Only post the highlights so it looks good.
Beg for "subs" & "likes".
Grow the audience.
Start selling "merch".
Disappear when the next "superstar" hits the front...

A genuine, educational channel has a place but it won`t have the required appeal for the new generation who prefer the gurning treasure hunter types.
Actually I think you’re wrong and here’s why...

Facebook is inhabited by the loud types who like the bling and the ‘treasure’ aspect of our hobby. The rest quietly watch or don’t do Facebook. The vast majority of our hobby care about the other aspects but don’t get heard.

That’s why we prefer forums.

I’m loosing patience with the self important people in our hobby. I’m done with Facebook and the other social media channels they inhabit. They bring out the worst in everyone, including their critics. I, like many others, are angry and disillusioned with them too, so I’ve removed myself from most FB groups and have unsubscribed from most YouTube channels too and feel a lot better. Trying to influence them or reason with them isn’t effective.

But is that it? Doesn’t get our voices heard though does it? We have a few YouTubers on here and I think all of them are brilliant representatives of our hobby. Quality content, good advice, education on identifying finds, etc. are all important and we hope that the content we add on The Detecting Hub adds to this good content our hobby needs :thumbsup:
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
jcmaloney

Oxgirl wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:37 pm Actually I think you’re wrong and here’s why...

Facebook is inhabited by the loud types who like the bling and the ‘treasure’ aspect of our hobby. The rest quietly watch or don’t do Facebook. The vast majority of our hobby care about the other aspects but don’t get heard.

That’s why we prefer forums.

I’m loosing patience with the self important people in our hobby. I’m done with Facebook and the other social media channels they inhabit. They bring out the worst in everyone, including their critics. I, like many others, are angry and disillusioned with them too, so I’ve removed myself from most FB groups and have unsubscribed from most YouTube channels too and feel a lot better. Trying to influence them or reason with them isn’t effective.

But is that it? Doesn’t get our voices heard though does it? We have a few YouTubers on here and I think all of them are brilliant representatives of our hobby. Quality content, good advice, education on identifying finds, etc. are all important and we hope that the content we add on The Detecting Hub adds to this good content our hobby needs :thumbsup:
I highlighted the bit you may have missed.

Straight forward education is what is needed.
Permission.
Types of land.
Farming practice & detecting.
Recording.
What an FLO does.
Why PAS matters.
Finds research.
The Treasure process ...done properly! EG: Coroner not FLO.
Finds photography.

Loads of potential Chapters..... keep them concise and factual and not a vessel for "subscriptions, likes and sponsorship".
figgis

JCM, while the nature of YT is not really the subject of this thread, I will say that your comments on the medium in general are pretty much spot on and I can't disagree with them (with some exceptions, naturally). But all we're trying to do is put some content out there that people might find useful and if it gets "lost in the tornado" then so be it.
jcmaloney wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:21 am A genuine, educational channel has a place but it won`t have the required appeal for the new generation...
A very generalised point of view, and who says we're targeting the "new" generation? Our content will be designed for all.
jcmaloney wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 2:30 pm ...who prefer the gurning treasure hunter types.
:lol: Cracking description, that man :thumbsup:

John, the aim here is to put out content which people across the board will hopefully find interesting. We're not in it for any of the reasons the get-famous-quick brigade are, though having said that, subscription rate is important to get the message across to a wider audience. If we fail, we fail, but we'll be giving it a good go :thumbsup: