One day only and never again. 😱 what should I do??!!

Emily

As of last night, I might have secured an incredible permission. It’s not far from me and was a cromwellian stronghold and a site where they laid out the dead. The land undulates irregularly and is really interesting to look at.

However, I’ve been told that I can only ever visit it once and never again!! What!!

What should I do?? What if I’m missing things with my detector and miss loads of really interesting artefacts or in general, look in the wrong places??!!

Help!!
Live long and prospect
Steve_JT

When you get in the field, follow gut instinct and do what you normally do
Don’t over think it, if it’s there you’ll find it, fill your boots :thumbsup:

Shame it’s only once but who knows, you may get another crack at it if you can talk them into more

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Regards Steve
A foolish faith in authority, is the worst enemy of truth." Albert Einstein
Oxgirl

The only thing to do is to relax, choose an area and go low and slow. Running around it won’t work so just accept you’ll only do one bit. Give it an hour and if it’s not very productive move to one other. Or just wander around, but do it slowly. Concentrate on your swing technique, not the rest of the field.

Good luck :thumbsup:
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
Blackadder43

Look at it this way:

You may only be offered one days detecting to give them a chance to see how you react
They will be aware of the history there and dont want any old person mooching around and digging their land up

So act with maturity and decorum
Accept the one day with enthusiasm and dont stamp your feet or scuff your toes as you walk away

Make an effort on this one days detecting, to make the day all about finding out as much as you can for the land owners benefit

I would set a recorder up on your phone and for each find just say a few words about the find.....then when the day is done you will have a verbal record of stuff you noticed etc that makes writing a report all the much easier

Write a report up about the day, get ID's on everything you find, even any rusty ole rubbish you may dig up
Make an appointment to hand all your finds and written stuff, photos etc to the land owners

If you are only being offered 1 day, then all you have is 1 day to make an impression on these land owners

Good luck and dont stress over it.....walk around and see whats there, dont take it as "just 1 day"......look at it as "if i show willing here i could swing this around to be my permission"

Good luck
Saki

I would certainly agree with the above comments.
And can only add that right now is an opportunity to scan maps, lidar etc to possibly help you decide which part of the permission you will go to.
My main advice for when you get on the permission is basically the same as above, relax and enjoy the time you have :thumbsup:
Oh, and good luck with it. Blackadder's advice on a report is excellent. You never know where it will lead :)
Dave The Slave

Blackadder43 wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:48 am Look at it this way:

You may only be offered one days detecting to give them a chance to see how you react
They will be aware of the history there and dont want any old person mooching around and digging their land up

So act with maturity and decorum
Accept the one day with enthusiasm and dont stamp your feet or scuff your toes as you walk away

Make an effort on this one days detecting, to make the day all about finding out as much as you can for the land owners benefit

I would set a recorder up on your phone and for each find just say a few words about the find.....then when the day is done you will have a verbal record of stuff you noticed etc that makes writing a report all the much easier

Write a report up about the day, get ID's on everything you find, even any rusty ole rubbish you may dig up
Make an appointment to hand all your finds and written stuff, photos etc to the land owners

If you are only being offered 1 day, then all you have is 1 day to make an impression on these land owners

Good luck and dont stress over it.....walk around and see whats there, dont take it as "just 1 day"......look at it as "if i show willing here i could swing this around to be my permission"

Good luck
You can`t go wrong following, Blackadder`s advice, Emily.
Treat it as you are working for the landowner as an expert in metallic finds.
Metaphorically speaking, they can only afford to employ you for so many hours, using your existing knowledge to describe the finds.
You can always follow up with an email, saying how you enjoyed the day and without directly asking for permission, just sow the seed in saying, any time in the future they would like to know about a certain area. Could even be, they chat to a neighbouring landowner..
Just don`t dwell on it too much, you find whatever you happen to walk over.
Good luck, :thumbsup:
Dave.
wittsy1

One visit? Did they say how long a visit, pitch a tent and camp for a week :) :shh: Seriously though Blackadders reply sounds pretty good to me.
Reiver

Don't stress , enjoy ! :)
Ladybird66

Treat it as you would any new site first visit. The flag routine usually gives you an idea of any hot spots to decide on a smaller area to concentrate on.
I’ve tried going by looks, they can be deceiving. Just enjoy the day and the change of scenery. Anything else is a bonus :thumbsup:
Saffron

Fantastic advice there by BA :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Before you go use the time to research any old maps, Google Earth (including the historic data) and LIDAR (if avialable), it might help you to decide where to start. But I would be inclined to wander around unless any area is very obvious, that might reveal any hotspots.

IF they are anti metal detecting they would not have given you even one day.

IMHO this is a chance to see how you treat the land. Leave unfilled holes, scrap lying around on the surface and then very rightly its "on your bike, we said one day and you messed it up".
Be extra careful filling holes and leaving the minimum evidence of your visit (as I am sure you always do). Do a nice write up of what you find, as only one day they might be "mundane" but do not let that stop you.
In the write up include background information (eg local history and about Cromwell, an old map, LIDAR (if you have it)), this might well tie in with some of the finds with luck.
Be very polite (as I am sure you are) when giving them the write up and showing them the items and there is an excellent chance that they will say "That very interesting, carry on detecting" :thumbsup:

As others have said do not stress, take it as a normal days detecting, if you stress and panic then you will make silly mistakes.

Evan
Easylife

All great advice so far, apart from pitching a tent, lol! Whatever is there is there good or bad. Show them your finds, inform them about the history, get their interest and then return whenever you like, job done! :thumbsup:
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
Saffron

Easylife wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:03 am All great advice so far, apart from pitching a tent, lol! Whatever is there is there good or bad. Show them your finds, inform them about the history, get their interest and then return whenever you like, job done! :thumbsup:
I agee with Easy life ...... "All great advice so far, apart from pitching a tent"

I mean this time of year who wants to be in a tent?, get a caravan with all the mod cons and it will be like home :rollinglaughing: :rollinglaughing:

I think its time I got my coat :thumbdown:
Evan
Easylife

Saffron wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:02 am I agee with Easy life ...... "All great advice so far, apart from pitching a tent"

I mean this time of year who wants to be in a tent?, get a caravan with all the mod cons and it will be like home :rollinglaughing: :rollinglaughing:
Actually closer to home than you may think Evan! :rollinglaughing:
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
Marley

Who was it who told you only the once, only the landowner can say that .
If it was the landowner, you knackered, if not I’d forget what you have been told and speak to the owner
shaggybfc

I’d do all the due diligence, check if it’s actually the landowner that has given you permission, if it’s a SM etc.
If it all checks out OK, then take the opportunity to get on there and search. Up early, stay late to get the most of the day.
As said above, record the days events and report back to the landowner what you’ve found / discovered.
I have a Civil war area permission, close to where the parliamentarian army camped..... I’ve found absolutely no evidence of it, not a single thing.
Good luck and I look forward to seeing what you find :thumbsup:
Always carefully proof-read what you've typed to see if you've any words out.
Deus with 11" X35 and 9" HF coils. MI 6 pinpointer.