Silver ring .958.

Doug

Going through some of my summer beach finds coins & rings today.

Very dirty silver ring once cleaned up I could read the hallmarks.

Not .925 which I expected but .958 with a date letter of 2005 which I would expect off a beach.

Further research (Googled!) brought this up:

"Since the hallmarking changes of 1 January 1999, Britannia silver has been denoted by the millesimal fineness hallmark 958, with the symbol of Britannia being applied optionally."
Attachments
DSC_0001.jpg
Littleboot

An unusual metal Doug. I have only managed one item of Britannia Silver over the years and that was a broken watch back. That ring looks quite big....maybe a man's?
It is one of the additional pleasures of detecting to go through finds and rediscover them in more detail. Sometimes there are surprises when things are cleaned or examined in more detail.
I had a sand scoop for my birthday recently and have only been able to use it once so far and now lockdown here means that while I can detect my local area with no problems I cannot go to the beach. I am eager to have another go on the wet sand after a storm or two has blown through.
"The forest was shrinking, but the trees kept voting for the axe, for the axe was clever and convinced the trees that because his handle was made of wood he was one of them."
Doug

Thanks L B.

I did try a few years ago a sand scoop but found it just a tad bit too heavy with the wet sand in it to lift.

I used a scoop no problem in the water in the US with the water taking the weight of the wet sand.
Littleboot

I must admit my sand-scoop technique is far from perfect. I found I had to be very accurate to start with or it was quite hard work. Plus I had to be mindful of the angle I dug it in the sand. I have rather weak wrists so it was a struggle. I found it easier in the Very wet sand , where the waves were still washing, than on the stuff that was starting to drain. I managed a modern polished black and silver tungsten ring.....quite nice for a start though husband wasn't impressed. :lol: Pete tends to be an occasional detectorist who has bursts of enthusiasm which wanes equally quickly. He started looking wistfully in the direction of the Bar, and swishing around in a random fashion.......so I said he'd better go off and take a break while I did a bit more. I am looking forward to going again ....probably in the New Year I would imagine. I suspect Pete may cut to the chase and simply go to the bar from the get-go. :lol:
"The forest was shrinking, but the trees kept voting for the axe, for the axe was clever and convinced the trees that because his handle was made of wood he was one of them."