Pre-Lockdown A Farthing Token?

TerraBritannia

Today I had a look at some recents bits and pieces that had been left in the finds pouch and to my surprise, one of them appears to be a token?

I've angled a light from various positions trying to catch the letters, but I'm not sure that it's helped an awful lot. :D

I think I can make out the following letters . . .

H O ?

L A T

D I N

And possible a date of 1755, 1754 or 1756?

Image20201108_194204 by Terra Englandia, on Flickr

Image20201108_200614 by Terra Englandia, on Flickr

I think this is a Lion Rampant on the reverse.

Image20201108_194258 by Terra Englandia, on Flickr
TerraBritannia [previously known as TerraEnglandia] but Andy is my real name.
https://www.youtube.com/TerraBritannia
Minelab Equinox 800
Leeloo

That’s a Dutch 1 Duit
Manticore
Equinox 800
Deus I
TerraBritannia

Oh that's brilliant Leeloo, is it something that you've also found? I'm impressed with the fast ID. :thumbsup:

Edit: Like this? https://www.ngccoin.com/price-guide/wor ... id-1433758
Minelab Equinox 800
Leeloo

TerraEnglandia wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:18 pm Oh that's brilliant Leeloo, is it something that you've also found? I'm impressed with the fast ID. :thumbsup:
Yep, I’ve got one the same, took me ages to work it out, there are a few different regional ones :thumbsup:
Manticore
Equinox 800
Deus I
TerraBritannia

Ah well it's a first for me, great stuff! So it reads HOLLANDIA, why couldn't I see that! :shock:
Minelab Equinox 800
Oxgirl

I posted one a few days ago too on this thread . Funny how finds turn up like buses isn’t it :D
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
TerraBritannia

Whoops, I should have seen that Cath and saved me faffing about with my post! :D
Minelab Equinox 800
Oxgirl

TerraEnglandia wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:09 pm Whoops, I should have seen that Cath and saved me faffing about with my post! :D
Glad you didn’t! I’ve never seen one before so interesting to know others have found one too :D
leadtokendavid

Do I guess that that is an East Anglian find, perchance? if not, please let me know. In the 18th cent everybody was desperate for small change because the Government wasn't producing enough. There were all sorts of solutions to the problem; make your own lead tokens, comission a batch of evasions {pseudo-halfpennies} from a Birmingham factory, or just plain use whatever of someone else's currency you could lay your hands on. Eastern counties which were conveniently near Europe imported Dutch duits and Russian denga in large numbers for the purpose.

I have written several articles on this in LTT { www.leadtokens.org.uk }, the most recent being LTT_113 pages 5-7 and LTT_114 pages 4-5.

The Netherlands had several different provinces which all produced their own doits with their local provincial shields on, so there are quite a number of varieties to look out for. Hollandia was just one province, the one which the country ultimately got named after when united, but there were others.
TerraBritannia

That's very interesting information, thank you! This one was found up near York. :thumbsup:
Minelab Equinox 800
Oxgirl

TerraEnglandia wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:00 pm That's very interesting information, thank you! This one was found up near York. :thumbsup:
And mine was in Buckinghamshire so they must have really travelled!
leadtokendavid

Thanks for the location info, much appreciated. I guess that most of these foreign pieces came in through ports on the eastern side of the country, because those were the ones most frequently visited by ships from the countries of origin; but that once in England or Scotland, they would circulate like any of the halfpennies or farthings whose sizes approximated to that of their own, and could potentially travel to all parts. Half the population were illiterate, and would not give a toss what was depicted on the things, whilst often the design had been worn to oblivion anyway. I guess the practice amongst many of the locals was something along the lines of: "if it looks like copper and about the right size and shape, try and spend it".