Roman brooch.

Doug

I have been lucky enough to have found quite a few Roman brooches over the years, I live in a Romanised area which kinda helps.

Having gained some new land last year I was searching one of the new fields (2019) when up popped this 'man on a horse' Roman brooch, AD250 to 410.

Although I knew straight away it was Roman one I had never seen one before not even on a rally.

Brooch in on the PAS data base and was kindly donated to the local museum by the landowner.
Attachments
1grBlIn.jpg
DSC_0017 (1).jpg
Oxgirl

OMG I think you’ve just converted me :shock: I normally can take or leave Roman stuff but that one I am drooling over.

Stunning and very kind of you both to donate it cause that should be in a museum to be admired by everyone. What else have you found there? (i’m being greedy now :D )
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
muddy mick

Stunning find, high on my wish list :Party:
Doug

Oxgirl wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:30 pm OMG I think you’ve just converted me :shock: I normally can take or leave Roman stuff but that one I am drooling over.

Stunning and very kind of you both to donate it cause that should be in a museum to be admired by everyone. What else have you found there? (i’m being greedy now :D )
Many thanks.

This landowner is 'the' biggest in the area and in the beginning I was turned down more than once until the time came when he thought he could trust me (43 years ago) and the rest is history. (groan)

I started off with one field and now have the run of all his farms and come and go when I please subject to crops.

He is interested in the finds but he is more than happy to donate them to the museum.

I went out the other week to find his penknife he lost after he had been working around his bee hives, over the moon he was!
Attachments
sR49oSS.jpg
Blackadder43

Not only some fantastic finds Doug, but also a great back story :clapping:
Almost make that into a script :ugeek:

A trip down your memory lane is getting interesting
Easylife

A great find and also to have the bond of trust with the landowner. :thumbsup:
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
figgis

Cracking find, Doug :thumbsup:

Unusual not only in its type, but in its patina.
shaggybfc

:shock: :thumbsup: :blow kiss: :blow kiss: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:
Always carefully proof-read what you've typed to see if you've any words out.
Deus with 11" X35 and 9" HF coils. MI 6 pinpointer.
Steve_JT

What a great find, high on anyone’s wish list

Well found and saved :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Regards Steve
A foolish faith in authority, is the worst enemy of truth." Albert Einstein
Littleboot

I love that Doug! How could one not? It is such a personal item and that, together with the depiction of the horse and rider, and the art style, really do reach out to a past age in a direct way.
Any traces of enamel left? it would be nice to see a colourized photo of it as it originally looked.
Lovely find. Sometimes, when i am struggling with life...which is pretty regularly nowadays....I spend a few minutes re-visualising some of the moments my best finds popped up. It is clear that this is one of those moments for you.
"The forest was shrinking, but the trees kept voting for the axe, for the axe was clever and convinced the trees that because his handle was made of wood he was one of them."
Doug

Littleboot wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:34 am I love that Doug! How could one not? It is such a personal item and that, together with the depiction of the horse and rider, and the art style, really do reach out to a past age in a direct way.
Any traces of enamel left? it would be nice to see a colourized photo of it as it originally looked.
Lovely find. Sometimes, when i am struggling with life...which is pretty regularly nowadays....I spend a few minutes re-visualising some of the moments my best finds popped up. It is clear that this is one of those moments for you.

Once again thank you all.

LB.

There were traces of enamel on the brooch but due to where the brooch was found and the significance of the site the brooch had been in water nearly 2000 years.

The brooch was handed over in the found state.
Pete E

Hi Doug,

Stunning find....Have the museum provided any back ground info for you? Is it a military item for instance?

Also, what metal is it made from? From the photo, it almost looks rusted, but I would think any ferrous would have rusted away by now?

Regards,

Peter
Doug

Pete E wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:20 pm Hi Doug,

Stunning find....Have the museum provided any back ground info for you? Is it a military item for instance?

Also, what metal is it made from? From the photo, it almost looks rusted, but I would think any ferrous would have rusted away by now?

Regards,

Peter
Thank you Peter.

It's been sat in a very wet environment due to where the field is situated and the run off from the hills topside of the field, one reason why the field was never ploughed and was just pasture.

New owners spent a lot time and money installing land drains to drain the field so that crops could be planted 2019 & 2020.

Link to the PAS data base ref. the brooch here:

https://finds.org.uk/database/artefacts ... /id/963002
Pete E

Thanks Doug, that's most appreciated..
alloverover

Had this one in August Doug, horse brooch withought rider, legs, tail, enamel or suspension loop :D It never actually had a rider though, the rest are missing :D :thumbsup:
Attachments
IMG-20200830-WA0005.jpeg
file.jpg
file.jpg (35.15 KiB) Viewed 725 times