Civil War Hoard in the News [must read]

muddy mick

I first saw this on faceache and like many others said WOW what a find,, though the press didnt reveal the ugly side of this, read the link first https://www.lincolnshirelive.co.uk/.../ewerby-english
And then see the last paragraph on page 8 and then see page 9
https://finds.org.uk/documents/treasure ... pronXRgikk
Yet more bad publicity for the hobby, though thankfully i suppose joe public didnt see this, I have always recorded / declared treasure finds and get sick of all the people who openly declare on faceache and elsewhere, they wont declare finds, well they should read this, as more often than not they will get caught and pay a hefty price for not following the rules :evil:
Dave The Slave

Neither of these links are working but will try and look up without them.
At least we are now aware of the story.
https://www.lincolnshirelive.co.uk/news ... ns-4679332
Cheers, :thumbsup:
Dave.
muddy mick

Dave The Slave wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:32 pm Neither of these links are working but will try and look up without them.
At least we are now aware of the story.
https://www.lincolnshirelive.co.uk/news ... ns-4679332
Dave.
Strange they opened for me before, try the pdf again page 9

https://finds.org.uk/documents/treasure ... pronXRgikk
Dave The Slave

Thanks Mick, now working P9 of the PDF.
Dave.
Blackadder43

Link in original post updated now for you all :thumbsup:
muddy mick

Cheers matey :thumbsup:
Doug

Interesting read Mr Mud.

I have had over the years my fair share of 'discussions' with the TVC (Treasure Valuation Committee) on items that I have found and have been put in front of them for a valuation.

Some of those 'discussions' I have won but most of them I have lost.

My advice to anybody who thinks their item will end up in front of TVC, not all do by the way, some are returned to the landowner/finder is have some idea what the item may be valued at through research.
muddy mick

Doug wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:03 pm Interesting read Mr Mud.

I have had over the years my fair share of 'discussions' with the TVC (Treasure Valuation Committee) on items that I have found and have been put in front of them for a valuation.

Some of those 'discussions' I have won but most of them I have lost.

My advice to anybody who thinks their item will end up in front of TVC, not all do by the way, some are returned to the landowner/finder is have some idea what the item may be valued at through research.
Did you read both links ? as what your saying has nothing to do with my post
Doug

muddy mick wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:05 pm Did you read both links ? as what your saying has nothing to do with my post
What I was referring too when you read some of the valuations in your link is that there is a process for challenging the valuations.
muddy mick

Doug wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:38 pm What I was referring too when you read some of the valuations in your link is that there is a process for challenging the valuations.
Which is totally off topic, I give in :pulling hair out:
Steve RC

I am surprised that the paper did not look at the background to this find. There was a lot of rumour at the of the find that coins had gone astray.
Some were sold on eBay i have been told.

As with all these murky dealings no one other than the finder and his collaborators will ever know the full truth of exactly how many coins the hoard comprised of and how many went astray.
Easylife

Maybe I mis-read? Did the TVC agree that the finder should not receive any reward and then provincialy award them £5k? :Thinking:
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
Oxgirl

Easylife wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:29 am Maybe I mis-read? Did the TVC agree that the finder should not receive any reward and then provincialy award them £5k? :Thinking:
He received 0% of some coins and 25% of the value of the remainder (normally 50%) that were purchased. So instead of ~£11.5k he got ~£5750.

What isn’t clear is if he’ll get half the value of the remainder of the hoard (the majority) that is going to auction. Presumably the landowner is within his rights to say he broke their contract and give him nothing.
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
Steve RC

There were two later discussions about the hoard recorded in the TVC minutes which will explain.

Civil War hoards are numerous and so most get disclaimed by the Treasure process and returned to the landowner and finder. It is this aspect that was causing problems. As i say have a look at the later minuted discussions for what happened next.

I assume an export licence was sought for those coins that were not declared and then sold abroad. Otherwise if not that is another offence.
muddy mick

Oxgirl wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:43 pm He received 0% of some coins and 25% of the value of the remainder (normally 50%) that were purchased. So instead of ~£11.5k he got ~£5750.

What isn’t clear is if he’ll get half the value of the remainder of the hoard (the majority) that is going to auction. Presumably the landowner is within his rights to say he broke their contract and give him nothing.
He was lucky he received anything at all considering the circumstances