Am I missing out on something...?

HolzHammer

Evening All,
Hope all well!
I've been watching more metal detecting videos recently on YouTube... some are really quite fun... some downright awful...
Anyhow as a solo, self-taught detectorist ( not quite the same as being a self taught guitarist or painter but you get my drift) I feel I may have missed out on certain skills and tips you pick up by watching others and mainly taking up my worries at the moment is the habit people have of kneeling by the hole!

This is something i have never done but it seems I am in the minority! i just lower myself on me haunches... easier to keep digging if need to, to grab the detector again, and its much less tiring than getting down on one's knees and then having to haul oneself up again... then there is the problem of wet knees and therefore maybe even more kit you have to think about to combat this ( i detect very lightly i hardly even take a detector!!)

There must be an upside or those who do it wouldn't be doing it... is to already be in a position to give thanks to the Almighty if the need should arise?

I await in anticipation for some answers!
All the Best
Alexander
Emily

HolzHammer wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:12 pm Evening All,
Hope all well!
I've been watching more metal detecting videos recently on YouTube... some are really quite fun... some downright awful...
Anyhow as a solo, self-taught detectorist ( not quite the same as being a self taught guitarist or painter but you get my drift) I feel I may have missed out on certain skills and tips you pick up by watching others and mainly taking up my worries at the moment is the habit people have of kneeling by the hole!

This is something i have never done but it seems I am in the minority! i just lower myself on me haunches... easier to keep digging if need to, to grab the detector again, and its much less tiring than getting down on one's knees and then having to haul oneself up again... then there is the problem of wet knees and therefore maybe even more kit you have to think about to combat this ( i detect very lightly i hardly even take a detector!!)

There must be an upside or those who do it wouldn't be doing it... is to already be in a position to give thanks to the Almighty if the need should arise?

I await in anticipation for some answers!
All the Best
Alexander
Most of the time I kneel at the hole. 😲 I know, shocking isn’t it!! I think I find it harder to squat and balance than outright kneel down so you can’t go anywhere. Plus I am only 28 so have young supple knees to get me back up again 😂😂
Live long and prospect
HolzHammer

Emily wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:15 pm Most of the time I kneel at the hole. 😲 I know, shocking isn’t it!! I think I find it harder to squat and balance than outright kneel down so you can’t go anywhere. Plus I am only 28 so have young supple knees to get me back up again 😂😂
😂
HolzHammer

At 49 I’m neither supple nor creaky ...!
Oxgirl

I only kneel where the hole is deeper than normal and the find is by the edge of the wall and hard to get to any other way. But maybe I’m just getting creaky :shock:
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
Blackadder43

I find squatting ends up strangling things :shock: , so i too kneel and then use my spade to lean on to get my unfit carcass off the ground again
It is a pain in the winter, or when a field has been sprayed though :thumbdown:
HolzHammer

Oxgirl wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:23 pm I only kneel where the hole is deeper than normal and the find is by the edge of the wall and hard to get to any other way. But maybe I’m just getting creaky :shock:
I bet you’re not getting creaky! But maybe as Emily says, suppleness is a plus when kneeling as it’s harder to get up and down when creaky or creaking... :D
HolzHammer

Blackadder43 wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:26 pm I find squatting ends up strangling things :shock: , so i too kneel and then use my spade to lean on to get my unfit carcass off the ground again
It is a pain in the winter, or when a field has been sprayed though :thumbdown:
... there you go I knew there would be pros and cons.... 🙏
TerraBritannia

I find that I tend to kneel down more than I used to, well depending on if the ground is soaked through or not. My day job does invlove a lot of walking and my legs and joints are often tired from the previous day. :)
TerraBritannia [previously known as TerraEnglandia] but Andy is my real name.
https://www.youtube.com/TerraBritannia
Minelab Equinox 800
Steve_JT

If it’s in the first flip out, one knee, if its more out or it’s in the side and going to take longer two knees. Can’t bend over and reach down, find it uncomfortable
Have got those trousers with internal knee pads so don’t get soggy
I use the spade to help me up too

Regards Steve
A foolish faith in authority, is the worst enemy of truth." Albert Einstein
Saki

I wear one kneepad, and attached to that is my pointer (lanyard).
If the find is still in the hole, i drop my spade, (face down) and kneel in the handle.
So no matter how wet it is, my knee won't get wet. And also, I always have a stable kneeling position.
Rarely will i go down on two. :cry:
Easylife

It's just whatever suits the individual, no right or wrong way. Some retrieve targets fast whilst some others settle down on the ground for some major tactical operation it seems. :roll:
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
Easylife

Saki wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:42 pm Rarely will i go down on two. :cry:
Too much information! :rollinglaughing:
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
muddy mick

Only last week someone at work asked why im always limping around the kitchen, i said its either hereditary, 48 years of being a chef, or kneeling on the ground for 20 years whilst digging, hell if i tried squatting id never get up, or cack myself :lol: :lol: :lol:
Dave The Slave

Tend to kneel on one knee when passing, the extracted soil over the coil.
No problem at all at 55, my job involves shifting heavy crates and kneeling rather than bending is better for the back, let the legs take the strain.
Cheers, :thumbsup:
Dave.