So just the regulars left then?

Easylife

Well if not detecting then how about tales of memorable detecting experiences?
Most of mine involved cattle, some quite hairy moments, maybe that's why I just don't trust many animals at all! 🙃 😜
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
Steve_JT

You need to learn the Crocodile Dundee trick to deal with animals... :lol:

Regards Steve
A foolish faith in authority, is the worst enemy of truth." Albert Einstein
Easylife

Steve_JT wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:40 am You need to learn the Crocodile Dundee trick to deal with animals... :lol:
I've been around plenty of wild animals in the Aussie outback. Steve Irwin really pushed his luck though! 🙄
It often seems like there is just one cow or bull amongst the herd that wants to kill you!
Edit: Let's not forget the evil horses too!
Dave The Slave

Not sure i have any tales left to disclose, as my posts are normally pretty comprehensive.
As a once a week detectorist, only 3 more Mondays of longing to get back on a field.
Stay safe everyone, :thumbsup:
Dave.
figgis

Can't say as anything memorable has happened to me while detecting, outside of any special finds made.

Bit quiet here in sleepy Yeast Angular :D :thumbsup:
Oxgirl

The day before lockdown I went detecting. A was leaving the field and doing one last hole when I caught a movement out of the corner of my eye. I looked up and 6 feet away was a squirrel. We stared at each other for about a minute and then he ran within stroking distance right past me into a tunnel shaped hole in the bramble.

This is one of a few lovely brushes with wildlife I’ve had this year. From a tiny hare hiding in the undergrowth, to seeing a deer and her two fawns in the early summer to seeing a herd of deer up close before there white bums bobbed across the field once they spotted me.

For me these days are as good as a beautiful find :D
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
muddy mick

I have had a shotgun raised against me, and called his bluff saying raise it any higher and i will shove it up your ass, had my fair share of dogs chase after me over the years, though a big Alsatian who i later nicknamed [Trouser] did get me one day after passing the farm several times, I decided to knock it, the gate was closed, i saw the chain which the dog was normally attached to going into the barn,
How wrong i was, I jumped over the gate and several yards towards the land owner, Trouser came out of the barn with no chain attached :o he tried calling it off to no avail, and it took me in the arm and i hit the neck like a ton of rocks :cry: :cry:
Next mistake I got up :roll: and it came at me again taking a chunk out of my leg :cry: so this time i stayed where i was lol Laid there the landowner asked what i wanted whilst frantically apologizing, and got permission for me and my club :thumbsup:
All my mates were parked just up the road and on walking back to them, in a painful way, not knowing what had happened one shouted have you sh*t yourself, :lol: after i said what happened one of the guys had 1st aid training, said i wouldnt walk the next day, he was wrong i couldnt walk for a week, I went to A+E to be stitched up, but wouldnt give the details of the incident, telling them it was my fault, not Trousers :shh: :lol: :lol: I laugh now looking back, but a lesson to others to be on your guard
Oxgirl

muddy mick wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:20 pm I have had a shotgun raised against me, and called his bluff saying raise it any higher and i will shove it up your ass, had my fair share of dogs chase after me over the years, though a big Alsatian who i later nicknamed [Trouser] did get me one day after passing the farm several times, I decided to knock it, the gate was closed, i saw the chain which the dog was normally attached to going into the barn,
How wrong i was, I jumped over the gate and several yards towards the land owner, Trouser came out of the barn with no chain attached :o he tried calling it off to no avail, and it took me in the arm and i hit the neck like a ton of rocks
Next mistake I got up :roll: and it came at me again taking a chunk out of my leg :cry: so this time i stayed where i was lol Laid there the landowner asked what i wanted whilst frantically apologizing, and got permission for me and my club :thumbsup:
All my mates were parked just up the road and on walking back to them, in a painful way, not knowing what had happened one shouted have you sh*t yourself, :lol: after i said what happened one of the guys had 1st aid training, said i wouldnt walk the next day, he was wrong i couldnt walk for a week, I went to A+E to be stitched up, but wouldnt give the details of the incident, telling them it was my fault, not Trousers :shh: :lol: :lol: I laugh now looking back, but a lesson to others to be on your guard
:shock: :o I hope I never beat you on that experience. Glad you were (eventually) OK!
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
Easylife

My most concerning experience was being charged at several times by a mob of cattle, fortunately they couldn't climb over the gate into the next field like I did for some peaceful detecting.
On a couple of other occasions I've had large bullocks repetativily pushing into my chest!
Oh, and the time a horse ripped a strip off my shirt and then had another go at biting me to get a swipe across the nose, it wasn't so keen then!
On a hot day I placed my jacket by the hedge whilst I detected. Some while later I looked over there to see that the cattle had entered the field and found it, dragging it about all covered in cow snot!
muddy mick

Easylife wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:47 pm My most concerning experience was being charged at several times by a mob of cattle, fortunately they couldn't climb over the gate into the next field like I did for some peaceful detecting.
On a couple of other occasions I've had large bullocks repetativily pushing into my chest!
Oh, and the time a horse ripped a strip off my shirt and then had another go at biting me to get a swipe across the nose, it wasn't so keen then!
On a hot day I placed my jacket by the hedge whilst I detected. Some while later I looked over there to see that the cattle had entered the field and found it, dragging it about all covered in cow snot!
:lol: :lol: or horses trying to eat your headphones when youve put your detector down to go have a chat with a mate :lol: :lol:
Easylife

muddy mick wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:52 pm :lol: :lol: or horses trying to eat your headphones when you've put your detector down to go have a chat with a mate :lol: :lol:
Or when a horse took a chomp at my side cos it spotted the Garrett carrot! :rollinglaughing: