Your best day's detecting?

figgis

About 18 months ago I had the sort of day you can only dream of. Fulham won, I scored thirty quid on the lottery and her ladyship was away for the day so I spent it largely in me pants. :thumbsup:

Detecting-wise, the following weekend saw me bag a hat-trick of hat-tricks in the silver, brooch and medieval departments. It was one of those days when virtually every signal resulted in a cracking find in its own right, but added together it was one hell of a day...

Medieval
Two lovely little buckles and a purposefully-broken seal:
medieval.jpg
Brooches
Two Roman and a Saxon small-long:
brooches.jpg
Silver
Bit of a mix here, with a Charles II thruppence, a William the Lion short cross & stars cut half and a Henry III cut quarter:
silvers.jpg
Well chuffed with the day's goodies I made my way back to the motor, swinging in a half-hearted fashion as you do, when this little Antoninus Pius denarius turned up:
AP denarius.jpg
It was one of those days when I just couldn't put a foot wrong and even the return of her ladyship couldn't put a dampener on my grin :D

That's my best ever day (finds-wise). What's yours?
TerraBritannia

My best day so far has to be from June this year. I'd planned to visit a particular field, but had to call it off when the farmer started spreading fertiliser on the grass (I had our Labrador with me). I had to think of another location, one that I could take Holly without worrying about there being animals in the field.

I decided to visit a field where I'd only really had modern coins (the sledging field as I called it) and true to form, my first couple of finds were indeed modern. That changed after I walked down towards a tree line at the bottom of the valley. :thumbsup:

On that day I recovered 7 bronze Roman coins, but that was topped by my first ever Roman Trumpet Brooch find.

What a day I had and even better, I got it on video. :D

20200616_163723
by Terra Englandia, on Flickr

20200616_162346
by Terra Englandia, on Flickr

Image20200616_162328 by Terra Englandia, on Flickr

Image20200616_182606 by Terra Englandia, on Flickr

Image20200616_173330 by Terra Englandia, on Flickr

Image20200616_173320 by Terra Englandia, on Flickr

Image20200616_165939 by Terra Englandia, on Flickr

Image20200616_164645 by Terra Englandia, on Flickr

Image20200616_164637 by Terra Englandia, on Flickr

Image20200616_163738 by Terra Englandia, on Flickr

Image20200616_175751 by Terra Englandia, on Flickr

Image20200616_175349 by Terra Englandia, on Flickr

Image20200616_200629 by Terra Englandia, on Flickr

Image20200616_200559 by Terra Englandia, on Flickr

Image20200616_200550 by Terra Englandia, on Flickr

Image20200616_200541 by Terra Englandia, on Flickr

Image20200616_192639 by Terra Englandia, on Flickr
TerraBritannia [previously known as TerraEnglandia] but Andy is my real name.
https://www.youtube.com/TerraBritannia
Minelab Equinox 800
alloverover

Maybe this, only footsteps apart but unrelated :D
Attachments
DSCN0859_zps45b42b06.jpg
figgis

Cor, what? Beautiful Roman finds, you two :thumbsup:

But someone round here will be getting a dose of the hives at the sight of all this Roman stuff and might shut the thread down if some medieval doesn't turn up soon ;) :lol:
Doug

figgis wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 7:26 am Cor, what? Beautiful Roman finds, you two :thumbsup:

But someone round here will be getting a dose of the hives at the sight of all this Roman stuff and might shut the thread down if some medieval doesn't turn up soon ;) :lol:
As requested.
Attachments
HYFoFWl.jpg
BMA91XF.jpg
Oxgirl

figgis wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 7:26 am Cor, what? Beautiful Roman finds, you two :thumbsup:

I’ve been in A&E getting treated :lol: Thankfully Doug has saved the day with that gold seal.

Come on Doug we need more info please :Luv Ya:
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
figgis

Doug wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:20 am As requested.
:shock:

Blimey, Doug, that's something a bit special, innit? And thanks for the reprieve :thumbsup: :lol:
Steve_JT

One of my top 10 favourite finds, a Medieval Purse Bar, c. AD 1400 - 1550

This is a find of two parts, found one part of it on one day, the main other part 3 weeks later
This part found 24th Dec 2017

And this part now re-united with the first part, found the second part on the 14th January 2018, some 27 metres away

Regards Steve
A foolish faith in authority, is the worst enemy of truth." Albert Einstein
Doug

Oxgirl wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:27 am I’ve been in A&E getting treated :lol: Thankfully Doug has saved the day with that gold seal.

Come on Doug we need more info please :Luv Ya:
A & E, hope you are OK?

This hobby can be more than just finding a field(s) and hope for the best. With the use of the internet there is a wealth of knowledge to be gained from online research.

But we can only go so far using the internet, local knowledge through speaking with the landowners and even dog walkers can add to your knowledge base.

An asset is trying to read the ground on site.

From the beginning man/women when walking over the land have used the route of least resistance, hills, walking between them or around them?

I have a very large field between two hills with a small valley going between them, public footpath follows this route.

Landowner ploughs the field which should bring things up that I have missed in the past.

The day of finding the gold seal which was very close to the surface I also found two more seals, a lead 'vesica' shaped seal and a fob seal.

PAS report here:

https://finds.org.uk/database/artefacts ... /id/653726
Dave The Slave

Hard to choose, probably about 6 days all pretty low key by others standards but firsts for myself.
Plumping for a day, when i found 4 items of a 100 years or over, including my 1st Roman coin.
This was the 8th visit to a field 4 years ago, in my initial season of inland detecting.
First item was part of a Crotal bell , luckily it still had the R to help identify it as Robert Wells. It would be 2 more seasons before i found a complete Crotal bell and then there were 2 within a meter or so, one being a ringer.
Second item not too far away was a partifact with Parallel lines. Later on searching the PAS database using the term parallel lines was able to identify as part of a Langton Down brooch .
Shortly after my first Roman coin and it was a Denarius. Luckily i could read the legend as being a Vespasian and researched the other side once i was at home.
The 4th item was a lowly 1917 penny with a Kings Norton Mint mark.
All these items came up within the 1st hour.
A great day and carried out the id`s myself, which was just as rewarding as the finding.
Good luck everyone, :thumbsup:
Dave.
figgis

That'd be a great day by anyone's standards, Dave, and loving that Vespasian :thumbsup:
Dave The Slave wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:10 pm A great day and carried out the id`s myself, which was just as rewarding as the finding.
Ain't it just grand when you can do that?
Kenleyboy

It is hard to choose what is my best days detecting , I have been very lucky on a few occaisions to have found multiple items that were all surprisingly bucket listers as well as just the one decent find which makes a hard graft day worthwhile .
The most memorable day for me was about two years ago and sadly lacks any photo evidence as I lost them on my PC and I regrettably failed to save them although the photos are on another forum . The only actual evidence I have is just this one pencil drawing I made from a much yearned full crotal bell that I found that day . This was a bizarre day for me and one of those days of quirky fates , most unusual and no doubt never to be repeated .
IMG_1730.JPG
i won't go into detail as I have already posted about this before but basically everything I wished for that day I found including a gold half sovereign , I asked for a gold coin and that came up , i wasn't complaining . The crotal bell was literally a foot or so away from the coin , another wished for find .
figgis

Lovely drawing as ever, Paul :thumbsup:
Kenleyboy wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:29 pm I lost them on my PC and I regrettably failed to save them although the photos are on another forum
You can always right-click on any image, select "copy" and then paste it where you want. Then you'll have a record of your finds.
Littleboot

That drawing, the technique used, really does illustrate better than a photograph ever could because it encapsulates more qualities (bar the sound of course) of the bells. It illustrates the feel of it as well as the appearance. Lovely tactile things, crotal bells. Nice one, Paul.
I don't do enough drawing these days....I have a touch of arthritis and hand tremor which gets a tad frustrating....but must do some more because the drawing reminds me what I have been missing. Drawing an object really does heighten awareness of things we often take a bit for granted.
Great day out Dave....sums up the actual meaning of the title perfectly. and the Vespasian is lovely in its own right. It is so...well, Roman. The design of it couldn't be more Roman if it tried. (IYSWIM) If Ridley Scott did Roman coins....

I have some great days out and found some lovely things....I suppose I can recount the days when I found the most valuable items etc etc. But on the other hand finding things is very relative. I look for fossils.....ammonites are there but rarer than shark teeth, devil's toenails, bivalves, sea urchins , those bullet shaped thingies, etc etc. So I get most excited by finding an ammonite because it is rare in that place and hard to find. Whereas there will be other people searching other places where ammonites are pretty numerous but the bullet-shaped thingies are hard to find...so it is relative in that sense. The best day detecting equates to the most satisfying day....the one which surpassed expectations.....the one that came together in a whole way. I recently found a gold coin but it wasn't a particularly pleasant day detecting....I'd trudged miles, the weather was gloomy and the midges were biting, my hair was wind-tangled and annoying, I had a blister coming because my wellies were pulling my socks, etc etc :lol: So i will have a bit of a consider about it....i have been detecting a long time and there is a lot to think about. :problem: :geek:
"The forest was shrinking, but the trees kept voting for the axe, for the axe was clever and convinced the trees that because his handle was made of wood he was one of them."
Kenleyboy

Littleboot wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:20 am That drawing, the technique used, really does illustrate better than a photograph ever could because it encapsulates more qualities (bar the sound of course) of the bells. It illustrates the feel of it as well as the appearance. Lovely tactile things, crotal bells. Nice one, Paul.
I don't do enough drawing these days....I have a touch of arthritis and hand tremor which gets a tad frustrating....but must do some more because the drawing reminds me what I have been missing. Drawing an object really does heighten awareness of things we often take a bit for granted.
Great day out Dave....sums up the actual meaning of the title perfectly. and the Vespasian is lovely in its own right. It is so...well, Roman. The design of it couldn't be more Roman if it tried. (IYSWIM) If Ridley Scott did Roman coins....

I have some great days out and found some lovely things....I suppose I can recount the days when I found the most valuable items etc etc. But on the other hand finding things is very relative. I look for fossils.....ammonites are there but rarer than shark teeth, devil's toenails, bivalves, sea urchins , those bullet shaped thingies, etc etc. So I get most excited by finding an ammonite because it is rare in that place and hard to find. Whereas there will be other people searching other places where ammonites are pretty numerous but the bullet-shaped thingies are hard to find...so it is relative in that sense. The best day detecting equates to the most satisfying day....the one which surpassed expectations.....the one that came together in a whole way. I recently found a gold coin but it wasn't a particularly pleasant day detecting....I'd trudged miles, the weather was gloomy and the midges were biting, my hair was wind-tangled and annoying, I had a blister coming because my wellies were pulling my socks, etc etc :lol: So i will have a bit of a consider about it....i have been detecting a long time and there is a lot to think about. :problem: :geek:
Drawing an object certainly does allow you to study something in far more detail . The crotal bells are one of my favourite things to find . The one on the left was the first full one I found while the one on the right came a little later . Loads of broken ones on the land so it's nice to find a complete one .
Hand tremors and arthritis are not good and my eyes are going , too many years of fine detail work has taken its toll but at least we can still walk :lol: