So how is everyone doing and coping?

Blackadder43

This thread will have a tentative link to detecting, but it will inevitably go off topic in places (cleanly and safely please)
Thats fine :thumbsup:
Just because we are a detecting forum, it doesnt mean we cant wander off now and again

Exceptional times at the moment, and i know from personal family experiences that its getting harder for some to cope and make sense of things
Just to say that my PM door is always open if any of you fancy a chat about random stuff, or just a chat in general
I imagine others would also be up for some PM interaction if it was to show itself

Me personally, i thought i would do ok at the beginning of all this virus thing
In real life i'm not that sociable, i dont mean i'm a grumpy git, i just dont like crowds of people and do my best to keep myself to myself
But, 10 months in or whatever it is i do find i struggle a bit with the lack of interaction....go figure :lol:
I dont deal with uncertainty very well, so all this now is beginning to grind my gears a bit

My coping strategy it seems has been absorbing information, my brain gets bored quickly and needs multiple input to keep it from wandering off on its own :ugeek:
Been watching a lot of documentarys, a few on the Egyptians and the pyramids, some on the Antarctic, some on world affairs, especially the money aspect of how the world works
Some real eye opening things and often lead you down other rabbit holes

I bought half a lamb the other day from a local farmer i know.....I now have the invite, when we are allowed to go visit his farm just up the road and do some detecting
He is very close, almost within stone throwing distance to a local Iron age hill fort
Sadly all his land is low level land and over the centuries has been prone to flooding, but you never know what may lurk under your feet, so thats something to look forward too.... :thumbsup:

So how are you all doing?
What are you using as a coping mechanism for all we are experiencing at the moment?
Kenleyboy

Nice post Blackadder as you say despite this being a metal detecting forum it is nice to know that you can wander a little off topic without being reprimanded !
I have to be honest and say that I have been one of the lucky ones where life hasnt changed too much and being very rural in location life ambles along as it always has done . The only thing which has affected me and millions of others is the lack of freedom of movement and being restricted in what we can and cannot do . As far as work goes my order book is quite healthy which once again I cannot stress enough , that I am very lucky and so far we have manged to ride the storm . Working from home is something that I have been used to for many years so this was not something new for me but others have either coped with it while others have not .
I am quite happy in my own company but certainly not unsociable and I do miss the bottle digs with my regular buddy but as he cannot drive then I cannot take him due to the restrictions . I can still bottle dig with another mate as long as we follow the safety guidelines so all is not bad .Strange times we live in and as irritating as it is not being able to continue our hobby on private land we must not forget that there are many others less fortunate due to this pandemic .
Saki

That's a really nice post Blackadder.
I'm lucky in that I'm rural,very very rural. Sheep as big as donkeys rural.
I genuinely feel for anyone in a city or flat or worse again, a bed sit.
I have a very close friend living in London, staying in a "room"/bed sit. Off work from his theatre. And many many people like him.
Hope its a positive thing to hear on BBC that they are preparing for Vaccine centres.
Easylife

I guess there will be several factors affecting how everyone is feeling - different lives, situations, responsibilities, finances etc, and certain lifestyles just wouldn't suit some others. I'm doing just fine half way through the current restrictions and fortunately not bored yet. Since selling our house a few months ago we've been living and touring the UK in our motorhome, so not detecting much, but for the current restriction period chose to be static on an old permission of mine - so there's a detecting theme! 😉
We've decided to wait it out for a couple of months or so for house prices to adjust to the reality before buying in again unless anything takes our fancy at auction? 🤑
Our pre-covid plan was to spend this winter in southern Spain in our motorhome, and that still could happen yet, so are keeping up to date with changes there. That could involve some detecting too, but really more interested in the warmer climate and fresh scenery! 🌞 But if not then guess it will be another winter detecting with insulated gear on until maybe next year? ☃️
It really is very cheap when you have no household bills in comparison! So less outgoings = less income needed! During our previous travels whether in our own camper in Aussie or hotels in SE Asia it worked out at just £10/day each all in. 🤫
I don't think that 2020 has really been too lifestyle changing for most, without doubt the UK Government badly handled the Covid-19 situation and maybe still are? We were in Thailand all last winter and they were straight on the ball and completely eliminated it in a short time with only 60 Covid deaths to date still. It was just so unbelievable to us in comparison how Europe and USA were acting so nonchalant about it, hence the current situation! We can't change the past, but a future inquiry should reveal any wrong doings or corruption to put it very simply!
But it's not just Covid, the public as a whole seem to be quite peeved off with so many other things too that have been exposed and don't like what they are seeing which can only lead to mistrust in my opinion. So it certainly does look like there will be some changing times ahead! And what about all the free money that the government has been giving away, but not to me, I can only see taxing times ahead for all! Best not mention the infeasibility of electric vehicles either! It all just seems a little dark to me! 👿
But hey ho, keep your pecker up and stay positive. Feel free to PM me for a chat about anything. :Thinking: :Party: 🍻

Hey you in your cosy house and me on a wind swept hill top with 360 countryside views, I still wouldn't swap you! :rollinglaughing:
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
Ladybird66

It does the soul good to vent, so to speak, every now and then.
I too am fairly lucky that not much has changed for me. We made the choice 21 years ago to move to Wales, tempted by the lower property prices. Eventually dropped on a smallish bungalow in 3 acres of pasture. 1/2 acre for us 2 1/2 for my horse. Rural area, a mile down a narrow lane with a great view.
But, I too am suffering from 4 wallitis. It’s crept up on us quietly over the months, not having the choice to jump in the car and go wander round a town when the fancy takes, or even the beach.
Now, with the change of time and shorter days it’s getting totally boring. The weather doesn’t help. Not just showers but days of rain keeping us inside.
To add to my misery I’m finding it harder to tolerate the constant noise from rubbish my Hubby watches with the volume at 100 on the T.V. I ask you, who can enjoy Death Wish 4 or Olympus Has Fallen on 100 ? :pulling hair out: (am I too old for a divorce ?)
My refuge is the garden (too wet) or walking the dogs (one of them is poorly).
By nature I’m a mixer. I think I know every dog walker in the area and happily chat when our paths cross, wether I know them or not, so on the whole not that much has changed, except my nerves are getting a bit frayed around the edges and I don’t think I’ll ever go detecting again. I’ve just got out of the habit.
Time & tide and all that jazz has finally caught up with me. That’s what’s changed and I’m struggling to come to terms with it and finally accept I’m just an old lady.
O.K. I’ve vented. Do I feel any better ? No not really. Thought you might enjoy a rural scene. Caught a couple of days ago when it finally stopped raining. Not all bad is it !
Attachments
B6CA7BF6-8660-464E-B13B-CACAC162C48C.jpeg
figgis

Great topic, that man, and you are awarded a virtual bag of jelly beans. :thumbsup:

Lockdown? What lockdown? The traffic round these parts is as busy as it ever was and the only discernable difference is that it's wearing a mask. I sat the first one out but am working through this one, being able to do so in accordance with the safety guidelines, but I have to say that the incidence of covid round here is on the up and that may change yet.

Detecting-wise, thanks to the wet weather I'd have largely had to have given it a body swerve anyway, but it is nevertheless frustrating to have a damned silly rule in place just when the fields are at their most accessible. But that's the situation we have and we just have to deal with it.

Anyone who has a copious quantity of gin has a coping mechanism right there, but another way to distract myself is to invent reasons not to address the heap of finds I've been lucky enough to have made between lockdowns which need recording and which are presently sat looking accusingly at me from the coffee table. You know how a doggie will avert its eyes from something it's done and has a guilty conscience about? That's me, that is. If I can't see them they're not there :D

Some will cope better than others but all should be aware that this forum is and always will be available for help, chat, guidance or collective lughole - privately or out here :thumbsup:
Blackadder43

Ladybird66 wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:54 am
To add to my misery I’m finding it harder to tolerate the constant noise from rubbish my Hubby watches with the volume at 100 on the T.V. I ask you, who can enjoy Death Wish 4 or Olympus Has Fallen on 100 ? :pulling hair out: (am I too old for a divorce ?)
I've been thinking about this whilst drinking my second brew

What you need to do is get one of your old Bra's and stuff some padding into the cups to fill them out
Put the now fully stuffed bra over your head and adjust the cups so they cover each ear
Do the clip up under your chin

Now

Keep walking through the room with the TV on 100 with the aim of attracting said deaf husbands attention
This should cause 2 things to happen
1) It should make him laugh seeing you with your bra over your head
2) It may make him question himself and ask "Is it time i had an hearing test done?"

Failing that, divorce is perfectly acceptable at any age, and tell him he can take the TV with him :lol:
Oxgirl

I have now come to accept the restrictions, partly helped by not having both my teenage daughters at home every day for months! It’s funny how I now relish the days where neither are here and the husband is at work and I have the house to myself - sheer bliss!

Like many of you I live in a small rural village and can walk for an hour with the dogs without seeing anyone. That saved my sanity in lockdown one. I recognise, like many of you in a similar situation, that we are the lucky ones. I adored the complete and total silence of lockdown one and am desperately trying to hold on to those special memories. And the beauty of so much more control taken back by nature as the deer, hares, rabbits and insects gained confidence in the unusual quietness around them. Or maybe the silent stillness just allowed us to see and hear what was already there? Either way it was wonderful and very special.

We worry about anyone being infected at my husbands business (which worked continuously throughout the year) in case we have to close for two weeks whilst still covering large overheads but *touch wood* we’ve swerved that so far. The initial panic it would destroy us financially has subsided though and overall we’ve been left only marginally worse off. But yes we’ll all pay for that in the end I guess.

I miss the holiday we needed (especially for my husband who was working 7 days a week for a few months) and the social life, concerts and other occasions that were cancelled. However we and our families haven’t been touched by the dreaded covid directly and everyone is well so I know we should be thankful. My parents have coped well too, surprisingly, and their garden is now even more pristine than the normal manicured perfection that I can only dream of for our scruffy patch. I like to tease my dad if I see a tiny weed in his lawn but this year even that evil pleasure was denied me :lol:

We’re all surviving so far but hopefully science will help us to control this. My house has been painted and many other jobs completed so we’ll be able to grasp the chance to do more things next summer when we will (hopefully) all be celebrating our covid free existence :Star:
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
Littleboot

Since you ask......I am incredibly angry and incredibly frustrated and feel powerless . I am gobsmacked that anybody can STILL believe governments, and their ludicrously illogical narrative, are anything but tools of globalist puppet masters. (and just tools , full stop.) I am incredibly annoyed that people are taking soooooo long to wake up to the fact that MSM is ALSO owned by billionaire globalists and everything they say is propaganda and manipulation....and that anything else is simply omitted from their 'News' coverage altogether.
I am fed up of seeing Megalomaniacs lauded as 'Billionaire-philanthropists' and seeking to control every aspect of our lives. The same billionaires who made a fortune out of consumerism and exploiting people and resources (not to mention having carbon-footprints the size of small cities) are brazenly preaching about 'saving the planet' and 'redistributing wealth'... (Prince Charles, of all people is doing this...And you can bet your life that he won't be redistributing HIS wealth.)
I am incandescent that freedoms my dad and mum sacrificed so much for have been taken away. Facebook and twitter are indulging in levels of censorship not seen since the Stasi . The establishment, the civil service, the media, Big Tech, Big Pharma are all rotten with corruption. To the core. There is nothing left that I recognise.
I am annoyed .every.single. day. Not just at what the charlatans and shills and conflicted carpet-baggers running this fiasco are doing....but probably more so with people who seem incapable of thinking for themselves and thereby allowing the evil people at the top to get away with it.

Sorry...but you asked. No point beating about the bush. :cry: :evil:
"The forest was shrinking, but the trees kept voting for the axe, for the axe was clever and convinced the trees that because his handle was made of wood he was one of them."
Steve_JT

I have to agree with everything that Littleboot has said 100%

But personally I am Ok and surprisingly coping with the bulls###ery of what is going on...........Considering where I was in early 2019, had some mental health issues, luckily recognised and sought help and got to a good place, still have wobbles but manageable. It was a cumulation of work and personal issues that broke the camels back, when it surfaced and was open about it the huge burden was lightened greatly.

I don't mind talking about it, it is most important that if anyone is feeling they cant cope, reach out and speak to people, your doctor too, it is surprising the number of people that do have these issues when you are open and shout help.

At work we have a team of mental health first aiders that are look after our wellbeing, we can contact at any time for support, they can get people counselling if needed that is free, most important is someone to talk to, its in the strictest confidence. I have a good senior manager who signposted me and got me time off to get well, I now help others with issues as I have been in that predicament.

If any one wants to reach out, have some support or just get something off you chest, PM me, its good to talk :thumbsup:

Kind regards Steve
A foolish faith in authority, is the worst enemy of truth." Albert Einstein
joemole

Littleboot wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:29 pm Since you ask......I am incredibly angry and incredibly frustrated and feel powerless . I am gobsmacked that anybody can STILL believe governments, and their ludicrously illogical narrative, are anything but tools of globalist puppet masters. (and just tools , full stop.) I am incredibly annoyed that people are taking soooooo long to wake up to the fact that MSM is ALSO owned by billionaire globalists and everything they say is propaganda and manipulation....and that anything else is simply omitted from their 'News' coverage altogether.
I am fed up of seeing Megalomaniacs lauded as 'Billionaire-philanthropists' and seeking to control every aspect of our lives. The same billionaires who made a fortune out of consumerism and exploiting people and resources (not to mention having carbon-footprints the size of small cities) are brazenly preaching about 'saving the planet' and 'redistributing wealth'... (Prince Charles, of all people is doing this...And you can bet your life that he won't be redistributing HIS wealth.)
I am incandescent that freedoms my dad and mum sacrificed so much for have been taken away. Facebook and twitter are indulging in levels of censorship not seen since the Stasi . The establishment, the civil service, the media, Big Tech, Big Pharma are all rotten with corruption. To the core. There is nothing left that I recognise.
I am annoyed .every.single. day. Not just at what the charlatans and shills and conflicted carpet-baggers running this fiasco are doing....but probably more so with people who seem incapable of thinking for themselves and thereby allowing the evil people at the top to get away with it.

Sorry...but you asked. No point beating about the bush. :cry: :evil:
I feel like him
20201121_135638.png
Dave The Slave

When i saw PM in your opening lines Bruce, my initial thought was Prime Minister as in leader of the Hub. Totally forgot about the Private Message option, having only been awake after yet another exhausting night at work.
Don`t really want to get into Politics as such but i believe this pandemic and all that goes with it, is probably the worse thing any Government has faced since WW2. I honestly think, whoever was in charge of our country, would not have improved on what has happened.
In the early stages towards the end of March, when the daily death toll was over a 1000, must admit it was starting to get worrying, i thought once this hits London, we`ve had it, with all the people who commute in and out of there daily.
Thankful that i work in food distribution as part of an overnight team. Now elevated to key worker status, from lowest of the low, although not as important as the NHS etc. Still don`t think the public or those in Government appreciated the importance of Supermarket workers. If you`ve got no food everything grinds to a halt and then the collapse of everything we know. We were extremely lucky that the lorry drivers, did not become ill on a large scale. There are more trained drivers than jobs, agencies are a supply as well but the distribution network could collapse very quickly, with large scale infections. Everything was out on the roads, lorries were coming in partially loaded just to get food on the shelves. Felt like the scene in " The Battle of Britain " Air Vice Marshal Keith Park: [during the raids on September 15th] Is everything up?
Wing Cmdr. Willoughby: The lot, Sir!
Air Vice Marshal Keith Park: Reserves?
Wing Cmdr. Willoughby: None! "
This was indeed our own Battle of Britain.
Never in my career of food replenishment, had so few items been left on the shelves, with the store warehouse virtually empty.
At times felt like i was living up to my Hub name, being the only one of 5 in the household still working,. seeing all the "False Exercisers " out and about clutching their plastic water bottles.
Detecting wise did manage 7 inland trips out between lockdowns, with an unexpected turn of events in the last week prior to lockdown 2. Initially thinking i would still be allowed to detect under recreation, had managed to obtain another field out of view of the road, to tide me over. Then the NCMD edit.
Now hopefully over halfway through our enforced absence from a great hobby and looking forward to getting back out in the field.
Good Luck everyone, :thumbsup:
Dave.
Rah7265

I agree with ever word of Littleboot’s incredibly eloquently rant.
If I had tried to write down my thoughts on this subject I’m afraid they would be full of expletives.

I feel like the establishment is trying to find out just how hard they can push before there is really civil unrest.
I’m fed up with fake news, being spied on dictated to and monitored.
Boris has become a waste of space as PM, the opposition party’s are a joke, it time for a change.
Kenleyboy

Some great posts on this thread , honest and straight from the heart ! I fear this would have been locked elsewhere so fair play for letting it continue . :thumbsup:
alloverover

Am doing fine personally, absolutely hunky dory. Bit gutted about beng back to work and not being paid to stay at home but I guess I will be able to use that in my defence when the country is paying back and suffering for the foreseeable . The Mrs is not doing so well as she is an absolute arse but there you go laughing.
Ive got more new permissions than ever before lately, not due to whats going on but just the luck of the draw I think. The landowners are top fellows, one not caring when I go or what I find and the other is over the moon with cartridge ends and .303s ( which i find quite interesting also).
I am working every day on different pieces of land around the country with other people and to be honest, fail to see why I can be working there, then not be able to detect there when I am not working, ,,,,I am using my powers of common sense this time round :thumbsup: